Shoe Repairer Forum

How do YOU take old stiletto pins out ?

There is another way which involves a stirrup rope and a tapered piece of wood.

You need something to lever against....I can see I'm going to have to do a tutorial on this method. We could all die before I get round to it..

You need something to lever against....I can see I'm going to have to do a tutorial on this method. We could all die before I get round to it..

Quoting myself here..........

I'll try an explain it. Get yourself a piece of 6"x 1"..Hard wood preferably .Taper it down on one edge from the 6" down to 1".... Shape the bottom edge to a round so it roughly sits in the curve of the shape of the heel...Now place your nicely shaped piece of wood against the front of the heel, take your stirrup rope and instead of sitting it across the waist of the shoe place it across the back of the heel and hold it down really tight. Now grip the pin with nippers and lever forwards against the piece of wood and lever the pin out. Simples.

• 4 years later...

Can we have pictures, or photos of you using the ACME patented heel remover?

Not that the description isn't perfectly clear, you understand, just to help some of our younger readers :-{{{

Ok so It's 4 years late!

stilleto.JPG

Sometimes this method pulls the tube out too if the pin is really stuck in tight. I either put a new tube in or flip it over if it's hollow all the way through. (Except it won't be hollow all the through because the pin will now be stuck in the other end). Grind a taper on the blocked end . Christ it's getting like an epic now.

step the wood for different heel sizes push up at waist and put the stirrup over then put foot in stirrup    lever out against the wood

this is the way I was taught to do it also

lawrence

still being pretty new to this, i was finding it hard to actually get a good grip on the pin. So i got a pair of pincers on the grinder, ground them almost flat so they stand up on end (if you get me) and are now pretty sharp. A bit of squeezing and twisting and the sharp edges slide under whats left of the pin and ease it up enough to get the blunt ones in there. Then its the pulling, twisting and going red :)

This what I did too. The sharp edges of the pincers get right under the head of the pin, even if its really bad. I then lever side to side, then when enough it showing, I stick it in the edge of the vice and twist the shoe left and right ever so slightly so as not to twist it off, pulling all the while. Never failed yet.

Used to grind and drill stubborn ones, but not had to to that for a year now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

still being pretty new to this, i was finding it hard to actually get a good grip on the pin. So i got a pair of pincers on the grinder, ground them almost flat so they stand up on end (if you get me) and are now pretty sharp. A bit of squeezing and twisting and the sharp edges slide under whats left of the pin and ease it up enough to get the blunt ones in there. Then its the pulling, twisting and going red :)

Works well on most but no good for .95 pins. Still need them flat but NOT sharp. Grip, roll, move npers down pin, grip, roll opppsite way. Repeat til most of pin out then pull.

A note of caution though, dont hit yerself in the knackers with your niers or the shoe...