Shoe Repairer Forum

trading standards

As I remember it, according to the Government Code of Practice for shoe repairers, and as a member of SOMSR, a price list of your routine repairs should be on show to your customers, as a cafe or restaurant has to display a price list in the window to give customers expected costs before entering the premises.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

As I remember it, according to the Government Code of Practice for shoe repairers, and as a member of SOMSR, a price list of your routine repairs should be on show to your customers, as a cafe or restaurant has to display a price list in the window to give customers expected costs before entering the premises.

Don’t think so , timpsons don’t have any on show and you would have thought they would know.

14 hours ago, Flash said:

None of the Cafes near me have price lists in the window, even Costa-lot!!

I used to have price list on the wall, but it resulted in arguments all day long!

i.e

Ladies Heels From   £5.99 , or  keys from £3.99

Customers always missed the From even thou it was 5 font size larger !

Customers turn up with 3" ladies Heels, or a worn down Heel that needed build up , and when I Said £11:99 , they were straightaway saying why  it says £5.99 on there?, its not fair , it against trading standards or marketing/pricing laws/rules ect... 

3 years ago , I put the price list down, and now when they say how much is a key or shoe repairs, I say can Isee it? then give them the price, if they happy , take the payment and offer the service. If not happy, they leave but  after a visit to Timpsons they come back after 10 Mins ,  and happily pay ! 

Now, no arguments and no accusations .....  

This is a separate thought, but I don't feel like it warrants its own thread - who of you are brave enough to ditch the .99p thing in your pricing? 

Load of our products are £1.69, £2.29, £4.99 and such - on one hand I really want to put everything up by a penny to end this kidology of pricing and save on handing out pennies that the customer doesn't want.

On the other hand, saying a key costs "£4... ... 99" instead of "£5" will have the the cheap customers wincing a little bit less, and I suppose those discarded pennies do mostly go in the charity tin (but we now put the 5p's for bags in the charity tin so that kind of balances out). 

Edited by GLENGRAVING

• 1 month later...

Apologies, I'm late to the party....normal for me. 

The SOMSR Code of Practice is provided to SOMSR members   as a condition of membership. It is intended to provide guidance and protection for members and their customers. It has three main objectives:-

1. To make clear the minimum standard of service customers can expect from a business which is a member of the Society of Master Shoe Repairers.

2> To make staff in all members' shops aware of the importance of good service.

3. To make the general public aware that an excellent level of service is available from SOMSR members.

The relevant section is 2 ( d) Pricing - A guide to the current prices of main services offered, inclusive of VAT where applicable, must be prominently displayed. 

Also , according to the internet, the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPRs)  states that  ' In the course of providing a service there is a requirement under the CPRs to make sure pricing information is given clearly if it would affect the consumer's decision to buy'

To me that suggests that displaying prices should be done in every shop that offers goods or services to the public. I assume that the word 'From'  is an  acceptable practice. 

SOMSR also offers its members an A4 price list with their shop name included and blank spaces for prices to be filled in if asked. 

We are here to serve............