Shoe Repairer Forum

Tibbe Key Identification

Great, thanks very much to everyone for your expert help and advice, im at the bottom of the learning curve at the moment and using old manual machines, Jakey Tibe, Jakey Colt and Curtis 2000, would be great if anyone knows how to calibrate the Jakey tibbe machine as it seems slightly out, or if there is a manual available for the Jakey Tibbe it would help.

30 minutes ago, dakes2 said:

Thanks for the info, just an update, i just cut a key to 234422 as suggested, the key managed to lock the car but not open it, i tried it in the ignition lock and it got stuck, i had  hard time trying to get it out, i have a feeling the machine needs setting up.

Tibbe keys that lock , but will not open are and indication that the bitting is not correct. You can even lock them with a blank key.

Keys stuck in the ignition are caused by the dust cover flap catching on a ridge in your key. Use a pick or a wire to push the dust cover away to get your key out.

28 minutes ago, dakes2 said:

ok thanks i need figure out how to set it up, time to get the vernier calipers out, by the way Graham you are bang on with your comment, it is much deeper than the original key, and it left a deep ridge on the end of the key as you can see in the picture.cut key.jpg

Could it be that you started cutting 1 position too far ?

To be honest im not really sure as this is my first attempt, this is what i did

1. set the cut lever to position 2 for the first cut

2. set the cut position lever to A

and then did the other cuts, but as Grayham said it is cutting too deep and the cutting wheel is slightly out of true, im trying to find a new cutter for it (Jakey F320 M42)

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

18 minutes ago, David C said:

Blade not fully inserted into the carriage,  some need a good push.

I had a Transit a couple of weeks back that would open with any key but only lock with the correct one.

Agreed. The cut is starting too far down the blade. It's cutting a little deep too but I've seen worse keys still work

36 minutes ago, David C said:

I had a Transit a couple of weeks back that would open with any key but only lock with the correct one.

Left door lock installed on right and Right door lock on the left.

Originally even blank key closes door 8-)

LR FORD.jpg