Shoe Repairer Forum

Odd enquiries in the shop

13 hours ago, keithm said:

When I was a young apprentice at Automagic back in the seventies, a customer came in to the Kings Cross branch and asked us if we sold stamps, the manager told the woman that we stopped selling stamps when the Post Office stopped repairing shoes!

Steve Coffey, my Area Manager, would have gone and bought some stamps and stuck a penny on each :D

Rick.

1 hour ago, kobblers said:

Steve Coffey, my Area Manager, would have gone and bought some stamps and stuck a penny on each :D

Rick.

Why not, we had a contract to supply 7000 treffolyte labels to a power station. We ended up supplying all sorts Toilet Rolls, Soap, Safety glasses fire extinguishers basically anything they wanted we just added 20% onto the cost price as they didn’t want to open accounts all over town. The total quote was originally around 35k when finished they had spent well over 100k. We will supply anything if we can get it cheap enough.

we have had a couple of strange request during lockdown

We general do office keys, classic car & atm keys and we live in the middle of scotland so 100 miles away from the sea.

We had an Gentleman who must of been in his mid 60s bring in a Jet Ski into us during lockdown in May to have it  fixed and eventually we replaced the key switch on it. 

Note we are in the middle of scottish borders nearest sea about 120 miles away. 

Only done it because we never had much in that week. 

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

When I started at Timpsons at 16 in Kendal, this poor old dear took an age to get to the counter and then asked for a portion of fish and chips!  I expect the machines at the back of the counter were mistaken for the fryer.  I felt really bad for her, but is was still funny 

I blame that BBC programme," The Repair Shop."

Had a customer asking about  spectacle glasses, wasn't very enthusiastic, but said. " Bring them in I'll have a look!"

He goes, " Great, they are antique gold frames from the 18th century!"

In case, just don't bring them in.

Edited by cowers lane 583
Spelling

• 2 months later...