Shoe Repairer Forum

Hi Guys,

I have started thinking about employing some help, there are two options getting someone experienced or training someone from scratch.

I'm not even sure if it's even possible to find someone who can cut keys, do passport photos etc.

Although anyone can do both after couple of months. What is your experience with staff?

Would you employ skilled person or train somebody?

In addition I guess it's cheaper to train somebody, as people usually only move for more money.

Many thanks,

Peter

I trained several, most turned out to be lazy - I was away a lot doing outwork and often wondered why stuff never got done- So a CCTV system

sitting reading a paper with feet on my desk

locking up and going to the amusment shop next door

taking cash from the till

arriving late

never putting stock away

But I expect if your there to supervise that will not happen

but once trained - they are 'experianced' and go looking for another job or starting up on their own

Never ever again

Another forum member in the same town has been selling off key machines so they can retire.

Maybe they would be willing to work a couple of days a week or possibly had someone working with them that would want to do it?

Mhh, no thanks, not sure what to say, maybe different guy, but the one who is packing up recently, how to say it...I need my customers to be happy, these are different times.

So, went to Timpsons today, to cut couple keys (research), there was a young lad, behind the counter, very nice, spotted problematic key straight away, yet wanted to try it, I've decided though not to cut this one, as it wouldn't work, no one ever did this key correctly, ever.

Did anyone pinched somebody from Timpsons? Are they paid well?

Can't remember where I saw it, and I can't remember the exact wording, but it said that most managers will be expected to earn at least £28k.

So that's about £540pw + pension, holidays and sickness.

Although, I don't know anyone getting £540 basic per week.

I think average wage before bonus is probably around £350

from the perspective of 20 years with my employer, I will say that money is important, compatibility characters and the atmosphere at work. Overall, however, I do not know many such cases. Most employers ageing and doing more and more scarce :) as well as employees get older and are getting more greedy :) 

Kris

So, went to Timpsons today, to cut couple keys (research), there was a young lad, behind the counter, very nice, spotted problematic key straight away, yet wanted to try it, I've decided though not to cut this one, as it wouldn't work, no one ever did this key correctly, ever.

Really struggling to decipher this paragraph. What happened at Timpsons? You brought in a key that you've never had cut successfully and the lad wanted to give it a go knowing that it wouldn't be easy? I'm lost after that and I'm not totally sure I've got the story straight before that either! :-)

Mhh, no thanks, not sure what to say, maybe different guy, but the one who is packing up recently, how to say it...I need my customers to be happy, these are different times.

Did anyone pinched somebody from Timpsons? Are they paid well?

Bet you i could do it !!!.

Sorry been busy cutting keys at Timpsons  :smt077

Anyway, I do go to competition a lot, spend £10 and 10 minutes there chatting, looking around the shop or just observing from the outside for a while.

And yes I do cut keys there and pay for it, no problem.

If the shop is doing well and I can find out why and replicate it than it's great, sometimes I see some stock which I've never thought about.

It's my business so I need to know what is happening at the competing local stores, at least within 20 miles around.

When we first opened, I had spies from all photo shops around, then key people, personalised gifts shops etc.

I want to stay in business and keep my employees happy. If we can improve something, we do it as often as we can.

Sorry been busy cutting keys at Timpsons  :smt077

Anyway, I do go to competition a lot, spend £10 and 10 minutes there chatting, looking around the shop or just observing from the outside for a while.

And yes I do cut keys there and pay for it, no problem.

If the shop is doing well and I can find out why and replicate it than it's great, sometimes I see some stock which I've never thought about.

It's my business so I need to know what is happening at the competing local stores, at least within 20 miles around.

When we first opened, I had spies from all photo shops around, then key people, personalised gifts shops etc.

I want to stay in business and keep my employees happy. If we can improve something, we do it as often as we can.

Concentrate on your own business and let others worry about what you do.

Oh yes, and as NY keys said lets see this mystery uncuttable key.