Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

Having a problem with a pair of boots bought into me for sole replacement. Unfortunately I can not find any form of maker's name or mark on the boots anywhere.

 

As i began to grind away the warn sole I noticed that the material melted away much like the old Polyveldt units of the 80's used to. i also noticed that the ground surface was incredibly sticky to touch even when totally cool. Experience told me to stop as I knew straight away there was likely to be an issue with bonding.

 

I decided to test sticking to the small ground down area before going any further. 

 

Materials tried: Rubber and PVC

 

Adhesives tried:  Bondfast, Bostik PA5050 and Renia Multicolle.

 

Sadly none of the above combinations have been successful.

 

So now I'm asking if anyone else has experienced this problem and if there might be a solution.

 

Boot1.JPGBoot2.JPGBoot3.JPGBoot4.JPGBoot5.JPG

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Have you tried using a primer first? I would give it a try if you haven't. The two i use are listed below.

 

Renia green primer Sand polyrethane surface coat with primer. Apply adhesive immediately

Rehagol primer yellow label is for thermo plastic rubber. Allow 5 Minutes to dry before applying adhesive.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried using a primer first? I would give it a try if you haven't. The two i use are listed below. Renia green primer Sand polyrethane surface coat with primer. Apply adhesive immediately

Rehagol primer yellow label is for thermo plastic rubber. Allow 5 Minutes to dry before applying adhesive.

 

I have indeed tried both primers sadly neither were successful. Sorry forgot to mention that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The super glue suggestion is certainly interesting. I've never contemplated using it on shoes simply because when dry it has no flexibility when dry. Plus when customers attempt their own super glue repair the shoes inevitably end up with me to be bonded properly.  However I will try the suggestions made on my test area and let you know the results..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The super glue suggestion is certainly interesting. I've never contemplated using it on shoes simply because when dry it has no flexibility when dry. Plus when customers attempt their own super glue repair the shoes inevitably end up with me to be bonded properly.  However I will try the suggestions made on my test area and let you know the results..

please do

 

apply the super glue with an old brush from renia primer jars, let it dry then apply 5050 on shoe and sole( no need to apply primer to sole, but you know that )

 

We did a pair of gents heels (Doc Martins) using this method, better result then renia primer yellow label

 

Will be good to get a feedback

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I have to report that having tried the suggested method of applying super glue as a primer and then PA5050. It works very well. I used Loctite brush on super glue. left it for a good 30 mins to go right off. then used the PA5050 as normal.

End result an excellent bond. I admit to being surprised as to how well it worked. Certainly a trick I would try again in the future.

 

Sadly there's no doubt I lost money on this job as the material was horrible stuff which completely clogged and ruined the scouring band that along with the £5.49 for the superglue pretty much wiped out the profit.. However this was a new customer and he was very happy with the work. So hopefully in the end it will turn out to have made me money.

 

Thanks to all who posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i found that if you spread the superglue with your knife edge and put a really thin layer on, it cut down on the waste of superglue and gave a good base to work on

having said that i havent uesd this process for a while as the primers do the job now

20 years ago the things you had to try to bond some of these materials were like science programmes

carry on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a pair of something similar in at the moment. Horrible oily material sitched to the welt, underneath the main sole/heel.  The problem was that it was perishing rather than the glue failing.  So I have stripped off and replaced with micro which is getting stitched on then I'll put some new Vibram units on top.  Should do the trick!  I'll post the results (if I remember).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a pair of something similar in at the moment. Horrible oily material sitched to the welt, underneath the main sole/heel.  The problem was that it was perishing rather than the glue failing.  So I have stripped off and replaced with micro which is getting stitched on then I'll put some new Vibram units on top.  Should do the trick!  I'll post the results (if I remember).

 

 

i do this quite often, works a treat, i have also on a few occasions used superglue as a primer, i use a scrap piece of rubber sole to spread it over the sole, but prefer to remove the old sole completely if the customer is willing to pay the price

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...