Shoe Repairer Forum

trophy site dead in the water

If there's one part of my business I don't enjoy its the trophy side. Especially the football side of it. Overpriced rubbish!

football managers think you can do everything half price and free engraving. 

I like the higher end stuff Like glass. but if I'm honest I can take or leave the football clubs. Fickle lot with no loyalty & probably half of em are on the fiddle lol.

blitz facebook,twitter.all the usual suspects but they want footy stuff done for pennies

seo and paid adwords/shopping/other platforms

the market place is awash with partime engravers doing it for beer money

ive been asked if i want to buy a trophy online biz twice this year with good turnover but dont have the warehouse to put stock into tells a story lol

carry on!

• 6 months later...
On 10/6/2019 at 1:19 PM, ironplanet uk900 said:

If there's one part of my business I don't enjoy its the trophy side. Especially the football side of it. Overpriced rubbish!

football managers think you can do everything half price and free engraving. 

I like the higher end stuff Like glass. but if I'm honest I can take or leave the football clubs. Fickle lot with no loyalty & probably half of em are on the fiddle lol.

your 100% right - a few years ago I was asked to quote for about 15 teams on one club, I did so as quite fancied the order, later about 4 weeks my dad had a mate on the committee who told my dad that I was £400 less than the guy that they gave the order to - he had the same trophy catalog that I had, he was furious because unbeknown to me had asked me to tender due to being a good friend of my dad's

He knew there had been a back hander but nothing he could do

seems there all on the take.

I HATE these people that try and rip you off. An aquaintence of mine did central heating - another asked him for a price- once he had that price he said Oh so and so said he could do it for -£1k  less - Great said No one let him do it- A lesson learned by me and that's the way I have always been. Like car insurance you get the renewal, compare the mercrap say same for £190 less I go back and they say Oh we can match that-  then you should have done so at the beginning let the policy lapse 

41 minutes ago, Mick Friend said:

Like car insurance you get the renewal, compare the mercrap say same for £190 less I go back and they say Oh we can match that-  then you should have done so at the beginning let the policy lapse 

Our car insurance renewel last week came through at £780 with direct line (been with them the last 5 years and price  has always been very good) we have bought a brand new Range Rover Evoque in November and the wife uses it in her job as a district nurse. Anyway rang direct line and asked for the best price they could offer. Spent 10 minutes on the phone to come up with £780 again best price they could offer. Went on all comparison sites and got the same level of cover with LV (through go compare that is offering £250 excess back if you make a claim) for £446. Rang direct line to cancel my renewel only to be asked to see if they could beat it, 5 minutes later still £780 so at least they where consistant. Now insured with LV.

5 hours ago, grahamparker said:

Our car insurance renewel last week came through at £780 with direct line (been with them the last 5 years and price  has always been very good) we have bought a brand new Range Rover Evoque in November and the wife uses it in her job as a district nurse. Anyway rang direct line and asked for the best price they could offer. Spent 10 minutes on the phone to come up with £780 again best price they could offer. Went on all comparison sites and got the same level of cover with LV (through go compare that is offering £250 excess back if you make a claim) for £446. Rang direct line to cancel my renewel only to be asked to see if they could beat it, 5 minutes later still £780 so at least they where consistant. Now insured with LV.

Very good Co. L.V. imo