Shoe Repairer Forum

replacement heels for gucci stilettos

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get this .........?

I charge £5.99 for pu tops and thats inclusive of all work to get the pu top on.

So if i find (TO YOUR HORROR) that I have to drill it, I drill it,again if i find i have to pull tubes I pull tubes, you usually get away with using the same tube so there you go £5.99 for doing the job!

I dont charge an extra £1 for buying a drill, dont charge extra for using my electricity for pulling tubes out, maybe im doing this all wrong and should charge an extra for this "SERVICE"

carry on!

by hibsjo(SCO) » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:01 pm

I dont get this .........?

I charge £5.99 for pu tops and thats inclusive of all work to get the pu top on.

So if i find (TO YOUR HORROR) that I have to drill it, I drill it,again if i find i have to pull tubes I pull tubes, you usually get away with using the same tube so there you go £5.99 for doing the job!

I dont charge an extra £1 for buying a drill, dont charge extra for using my electricity for pulling tubes out, maybe im doing this all wrong and should charge an extra for this "SERVICE"

well said! about time!

carry on.....

well said! about time!

carry on.....

Yes I agree, you should been charging more for the extra work/time involved.

As you quoted Joe, you're offering a service, but is it a free service?

Why shouldn't the wearer expect to pay more, if extra work is needed because the item is worn/(ab)used past the point of a straight forward replacement, then extra should be charged over a similar job that required a pull out, knock in replacement.

I disagree!

I offer a service.

I price ALL my jobs to take into account what could go wrong and how my customer is going to pay me.

PU tops £5.99

need to drill them an extra pound! :shock:

need to pull tube out an extra pound! :shock:

stick em in a bag extra 25p :shock:

customer pays by credit card add 45p :shock:

£8.69 for pu tops done in 5 mins what planet are you on? ](*,)

some of you guys were giving the stuff away the other week with your customer coming in complaining about heels falling off......I could just imagine you lot giving them it for free if you had to drill and pull tubes :lol:

So as you said Terry I offer "a service" and i am more than satisfied with the price attached to the job.

carry on!

I disagree!

I price ALL my jobs to take into account what could go wrong and how my customer is going to pay me.

PU tops £5.99

So effectively you are overcharging the owner of shoes that bring them in before the top-piece/attaching pin has been worn away completely.

The garage charge £30 to supply & fit 4 sparkplugs

Plugs £5 each = £20

Labour = £10

But while carrying out the work, one of the threads in the head strips while removing a seized plug..... The job in hand now will require extra time & labour.

So do they still charge the £10 labour? (I think not) Maybe they should charge ALL plug replacement with a labour charge of £50, just in case they find extra work is needed.

by TeL200 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:10 pm

The garage charge £30 to supply & fit 4 sparkplugs

Plugs £5 each = £20

Labour = £10

But while carrying out the work, one of the threads in the head strips while removing a seized plug..... The job in hand now will require extra time & labour.

So do they still charge the £10 labour? (I think not) Maybe they should charge ALL plug replacement with a labour charge of £50, just in case they find extra work is needed.

except we are talking a small p/u top heel repair!

garages have huge overheads - small independant garages dont charge SILLY extra's they get more return work than the BIG boys -

little heels when you quote a repair for p/u tops you dont know if the pin will snap! you look at the worn heels and quote - how do you then say i want more?

trading standards would disagree!

if it's a while you wait with the customer sitting waiting, you cant say this is more the pin has just snapped! if you do i think the customer will not come back regardless of the excellent repair you do -

I agree with Hibs, you set your price for the average job and it stays at that, all probabilities are inbuilt.

You should not be calling customers on a regular basis telling them that their shoes are going to cost more than you quoted, thats a no go area for me.

As for elfmans detailed inspections, thats OK in a situation where you have the time to spare. Many shops are operating on a remarkably fast turnaround for Shoe Repairs and examination of that detail means lost time.

Better to get them in and out without giving the customer the eebbee jeebbees examining every detail, then it's the old, "well we will have to do this... £1.50 extra and did you know they needed drilling" OH my god what are you going to do with my shoes?????.

Letting the customer see you minutely inspect their shoes gives them palpitations.

There is a way of examing them without the customer realising what you are doing and at the same time do several checks again without them knowing what you are doing and this works better on expencive footwear.

hugh did not imply a minute inspection just an inspection as for being in a fast moving shop and wanting to get them in and out as fast as possable does this go some way to explaining how this thread first started and for a further example customer comes in and says can you heel these for me while i wait she takes one off to show you and it looks like a straight forward job i.e pull out pin bang new pu top on bobs your uncle job done then you do the second shoe exactly the same untill you bang on the pu top and the heel block snaps in half becouse you missed that hairline crack in the block. hence when i am asked in this way i allways say with a smile to the customer it depends on what they are like and if they only show one shoe i once again say with a smile lets see the other one as well couse you ladies allways manage to show the good shoe first and as for your point on examining the shoes and saying this and that needs doing was there not a topic raised about this very issue called upselling i,e heels madam oh the toes could do with a toe piece would you like me to do it at the same time , further more i believe timpsons tell all sales staff to look for the extra job on allshoes to get that extra money are you now saying they are wrong

I agree in part elfman, I cant see how long you are taking in the examination :)

As for "Selling Up" as you call it!!!! yes I think that they are wrong in part, the idea is good but I would call it advising the customer not selling up.

The trick is to examine without alarm, that way you see and feel everthing wrong with setting alarm bells off.

Just by holding the shoe in one hand around the block and fingers under the upper, exerting slight pressure tells you 1, the shank state, 2, the secureness of the block. At this time you see the toes or sole condition.

Turn over to see the insock/condition of uppers.... all done in the blink of the eye, you notice the make the style... you comment... nice pair of shoes, did you get them from the Gucci shop?.. hope you are looking after them (this is the 1st part before you hold the heel block.) Now the customer is off guard, you are taking an interest in her belongings, her purse is now "open all hours".

What I do not like is the same repeated sales pitch every time the customer goes in, you know what i'm talking about here "you could do with Stick-on-Soles love, getting a bit thin", after her 3rd pair she knows its a sales pitch and cringes going into the shop cos she knows whats coming. A bit like when you went to fill up with petrol and and they asked if you needed oil every time, gets to be a nuisance after a while.

now you are beginning to see where i am coming from hugh over the years i have learned that the vast majority of peaple know what is needed on there shoes and this brings us back to another earlier topic that created a long debate that being are they worth repairing.i would not dream of telling any one there shoes are not worth repairing i allways and i repeat allways give this answer ,i will tell you what needs to be done and quote you a price it is then your choice if they are worth repairing by the same token i do not try to tell them that they could do with x yand z doing simply becouse it just might be that this particuler customer may not be in the position to afford it and could be a bit embarressed to say so ,now before anyone decrys this please bear one thing in mind we all do not work or live in affleuent areas and i have on many occassions not charged for work i have done simply for this very reason and further mre if a customer comes in for any orthopeadic work i automaticaly give them a 35% discount on the nhs book price and still make a good profit on the work

i do not try to tell them that they could do with x yand z doing simply becouse it just might be that this particuler customer may not be in the position to afford it and could be a bit embarressed to say so

SURELY elfman if something needs doing you would point it out!!!!!

If the shoes could do with xyz then you give them the option... unless of course you are saying it just as a matter of course and you say that to every customer!!

Once you have given them the option, if the work is of importance to the job you are asked to do then you point this out.

Customer reaction is something you learn to interpret, if you feel that they seem pressured you drop it and move to something else taking their mind off problems.

I do wonder if the pressure sales technique leaves more unclaimed work on the shelves!!!

Those that pressure the sale and insist on prepayment I wonder if those customers ever return a second time.

We are getting on the moral high ground here and there are many ways of looking at this subject, one of those ways is to take as much off the customer as possible today for you may never see them again.

Another is to just do as the customer asks and then get the complaints of why you did not point something out that goes wrong days after the repair that is not connected with the original repair.

what we tend to find is that if you point something else out the usual response is: "oh, i'll get it done next time" or: "it's not worth it, i'll leave it and get a new pair" :? then you lose the sale altogether......

you're bang on about interpretation, i tend to have a good look at the customer and the shoes before i decide how i'm going to approach any extra work.

rick.

The trick is to make it sound like genuine advice where they have the option.

Make it sound like you have to have it done or your shoes are going to be unwearable in a couple of weeks and you are then faced with the options from the customer as to repair or not repair and a walk out.

Very difficult to judge a customer who will walk and one who will take the advice, as the saying goes "you cant tell a sheep in wolves clothing" :D :D or summat like that. :D

• 2 weeks later...

well the final installment is here....

i have to admit i'm impressed, the scabby old heels replaced with EXACTLY the same heel.....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/ ... G_2500.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/ ... G_2496.jpg

the work was carried out by

http://www.firstclassshoerepairs.co.uk/

as recommended to me by a member of this forum, thanks, you know who you are... :smt023

for a total cost of £35.00 including postage both ways

my contact there is a friendly chap called martin, he's aware of this thread as he asked if it was me when he called to take my payment.

my customer is absolutely delighted with them, she was in today and saw them, she has even brought in another 3 pairs of shoes to get toes & heels.

though just to show that no-one but planet uk900 is perfect though.... :smt043

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/ ... G_2498.jpg

i'll replace the top pieces before i give them out.

i have a gucci boot with a snapped metal heel sitting waiting to be sent when the customer brings in the neighbour , only this pair i get paid for :lol:

again, thanks for the positive help =D>

ps

had to put links as the images were not being transferred, don't know if it is photobucket or or this site.... :-k

my customer is absolutely delighted with them, she was in today and saw them, she has even brought in another 3 pairs of shoes to get toes & heels.

LOL

though just to show that no-one but planet uk900 is perfect though.... :smt043

Hey Dude, I didn't say anything that wasn't true... I was just honest with you about the fumbled repair. Heel replacement on those is a relatively simple job. But looks a good job all the same.. :)

as recommended to me by a member of this forum, thanks, you know who you are... :smt023

again, thanks for the positive help =D>

Sometime members on the forum get carried away with negativity! But when I see comments like this it reminds me just what we've achieved with the forum. A few years ago this story would have ended in on pissed off customer & one expensive bill. Now we have damage limitation, a happy customer & the industries reputation intact.

Lee

by Happy Dude » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:47 pm

well the final installment is here....

i have to admit i'm impressed, the scabby old heels replaced with EXACTLY the same heel.....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/ ... G_2500.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/ ... G_2496.jpg

the work was carried out by

http://www.firstclassshoerepairs.co.uk/

Fantastic end of what sounded a terrifying ordeal! pleased it ended positivly for you dude,

i will keep the link on the repair service of new heels, so if ever...

Sometime members on the forum get carried away with negativity! But when I see comments like this it reminds me just what we've achieved with the forum. A few years ago this story would have ended in on pissed off customer & one expensive bill. Now we have damage limitation, a happy customer & the industries reputation intact.

Lee

nice one lee, and never a truer word was said.... :smt023

Fantastic end of what sounded a terrifying ordeal! pleased it ended positively for you dude,

i will keep the link on the repair service of new heels, so if ever...

cheers mate, not really terrifying but a stressful situation i have never found myself in before and when you are like that and people try to score points off you you tend to bite back... :-{{{

the customer is back in tomorrow and her 3 pairs of T & H's will pay for the gucci repair, nice one... =D>

Just be careful when you replace those top-pieces, watch the drilling :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nice one hugh... =D>

i'm going to phone them first to see what size pin they take.... :mrgreen:

i've already told the customer to keep the shoes for special wear, not everyday and to keep an eye on the top pieces and not to pound them like last time... O:)