Shoe Repairer Forum

replacement heels for gucci stilettos

To be fair, Happy Dude, myself and my brother run a very busy town centre shop and to see a stiletto of that nature is the norm!

I can't understand how your "benchman" has generated enough heat to melt the heel block to a degree of clear distortion more or less to halfway down the block!

He's made a right mess of 'em - I can't blame the customer for being p***ed off.

oh i know there is a mess to sort out dean....

the customer is happy to let me sort it out in the most economical way possible.

this is in hand now thanks to a kind member of this forum who gave me a link by PM and wasn't happy revelling someone elses misery.... :lol: :-({|=

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello happydude

This is for you and the other guy that left last week as well as the next guy that doesn't like what they say here.Those 2things in the sac down there are what you need when you come on here so use them.I haven't always agreed with everything here but what the hell,its everyone rite to disagree at times.I will say that it might of been more helpful if the guys would of offered advice first over the bashing but that again is there rite when you put it out for all to see.I enjoy reading this site even though at times you have to pick a lot of straw out of the horseshit but still worth it.On a last note don't you ever think that your the only one who has make a dumb mistake but don't compound it by not staying on here to learn from it and others who have already done them before you.

39years and still doing dumb things!

Ray Torcaso

lee...

this thread has run it's course, i have all the help i needed thanks and by persons with really low post counts as well which shows that the people who say the most don't always have the most to say

it's in danger of turning into a slagging match which i find sad as we are a small trade and should help and support each other not take any chance to make ourselves feel good by scoring points off someone who made an arse of a job.

remember, anyone who never made a mistake never made anything...

can you lock it please and delete my account

What a shame you feel like this Dude. I have re-read this thread a few times now and see nothing more than advice along with a little ribbing. As you have admitted yourself

, you have received information concerning a supplier through this post already, surely that hepls you?

On occasion, I might agree that the smilies have been a little sarcastic, but thats all. This Forum is a world of knowledge that all of us have learned from and you should glean what you can from it in my opinion. None of us agree with everyone's comment's all of the time, it's just something you have to live with in order to be part of the Forum. No one here, as far as I can see, has slagged you off, or disrespected you, just offered their advice, which I agree with in most parts I have to say :?

This Forum has been an incredible success since it's inseption, I would ask you to stay, fight your corner and help us continue to grow, it would be a quieter place without the members :)

Regards

Keith

Totally agree with Keith.

Happydude, don't be put off. It's not a personal attack on your abilities, merely an observation and opinion given on the evidence provided.

I'm still chuckling at 'slavering gobshite' I mean, sorry I know you are angry but I am still trying to picture what one looks like - I even googled it but got a horse with a massive tongue as the only picture!! :lol: :lol:

Please reconsider your decision. I'm sure you have a great deal to offer the forum and hopefully we can return the favour.

Either way, have a great xmas.

Iain

Jingle friggin bells!!

this is really funny, someone told me by PM that the reason your post count is so high is because you are a slavering gobshite and always have to have the last word on every thread thats posted on this website.... =D>

In my opinion, the only offensive part of this thread is above, and my repsonse was very mild, yet its been removed and this has been left on.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but if they can give it then they should be able to take it.

Must admit I'm getting a little F**ked off with the new bread of little snotty babies who come on here and don't like honesty, and being undermined through the back door with cowardice members.

If you don't like how I post then I'll have to jack it in, cus I anit going to change to suit a handfull of weak humourless individuals and back stabbers.

this is really funny, someone told me by PM that the reason your post count is so high is because you are a slavering gobshite and always have to have the last word on every thread thats posted on this website.... =D>

In my opinion, the only offensive part of this thread is above, and my repsonse was very mild, yet its been removed and this has been left on.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but if they can give it then they should be able to take it.

Must admit I'm getting a little F**ked off with the new bread of little snotty babies who come on here and don't like honesty, and being undermined through the back door with cowardice members.

If you don't like how I post then I'll have to jack it in, cus I anit going to change to suit a handfull of weak humourless individuals and back stabbers.

Hi Mark

With reference to the above posts. Whilst I agree with most of what you say, I feel you could give a little here, but take this as constructive criticism.

You ask for these 'newbies' to allow for the way 'you' post,heart on sleeve etc, but you must allow them to post their way, as snotty little babies, and then balance it in your own mind. I think it's sometimes better to say nowt =;

If you bite everytime someone posts something you don't like, whether true or not, it can give the wrong impression. I have to say, you can come across as a little aggressive occasionally, but those of us that know you accept it, to a newbie, it could come across in the way the the 'dude' has stated :wink:

I think that the benchman wants a rocket up his arse, but there are different ways to deal with that and this guy knows him better than any of us :?

Keith dons a suit of armour :?

bla bla bla i agree with most of what has been said above

BUT

the benchman doesnt need a rocket up his arse (what if he is the chosen one to bring harmony to the trade and this was his first ever cock up in his life)

I pull pins all day long and if they snap Ill punch and if they dont punch Ill drill then if they dont drill ill pull the tubes WE ALL DO THIS!

no one is different except the guy whos got a 300 quid pair of shoes on his bench which his benchman has made a mistake on WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES(even UK admitted so (once))

everyone chastised happy dude and told him to pay up(knowing no one on here would contemplate such an action)

Everyone on here has a VOICE and whether it is listened to or not is up to the membership.

NAME CALLING IS TOTALLY UNNACCEPTABLE and for this matter its probably better for members who chose to do so to leave.

This is for fun and it can be entertaining sometimes when debate gets heated but lets not forget that if its not here were DOOMED.

carry on!

This reply is probably off topic but from about 8/9th of this month on many threads i noticed a lot of bitchy comments

perhaps we are going through a bad 'period', if so your 7 days are up and hormones should be settling down.

Good will to all men peace and love and all that b*ll***s.

Happy dude if you are still with us perhaps you could share the info you were pm'd it might help next time i f***k up and there will be a next time!

right I've had me hot flush.

Alan

This reply is probably off topic but from about 8/9th of this month on many threads i noticed a lot of bitchy comments

I agree Alan & despite my best efforts to settle everyone down, I cannot control what you the members are publishing. I have to say that as the administrator the site takes a lot of time just to keep it running smoothly & a lot of topics I scan read & often miss what has been said. I missed Happy Dudes request to be removed until today & have contacted him via an email this morning.

I often come into criticism for failing to act on one reply & acting on others, this is something that at times is unavoidable due to time restraints & constant returns to topics at differing times as new posts are made.

I have become very disillusioned with the project in a very short space of time, there is no easy solution to the apparent deterioration of the site. We have all benefited greatly from the site over the past few years & I am surprised by the amount of negativity that has been show towards each other in the past few weeks.

I will endeavor to maintain the site to the up most standard in the coming months but the direction the content of the site, the amount of people feeling they can use it & longevity of the project is up to you lot!

All I would ask is that topics in criticism of a reply, remain factual & not personal.

Lee

:) i'm gonna be called an arse kisser but hey, what the hell, if it distracts you lot for a while.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

through being a moderator and a friend of lee's i know and understand just what it takes to keep this site running, especially when lee (or the mods) don't make a penny

from it.

i echo a lot of the last 3 or 4 posts and regardless of what he does, i stand by lee's decisions as he alone bears the lion's share of the responsibility of this site.

if he or a mod deletes a topic then it's for very, very good reason not least of all because lee and us mods can end up in court just because someone with a beef to

air can't respect the terms and conditions of the site and gets either personal or defamatory. would you take that risk????????

no, i didn't think so!

yes, things have been hot of late but let's not use this as an opportunity to air long held grievances. i ain't always a fan of the way planet expresses himself

but at least he has the courage to say it to people instead of saying it to others via pm and trying to undermine the excellent site that YOU the postees have kept going

so successfully.

for those of you who remember, planet and i went through something similar a while ago which almost got very out of hand but we decided to settle

it like grown men and chatted about the atmosphere between us, due to this i now have a massive respect for planet which is genuine and

most on here have no idea of how just how much planet puts into this forum and how far he'll go to help someone out, even if they've had a heated debate and

he's one of the most generous people i know.

please, for the sake of the forum and each other, let's turn the page and get on with doing what the forum was intended for. if ya can't get on then bloody well

ignore each other, it ain't that hard :lol:

have a good and prosperous christmas fellas and fella-esses.

rick.

happydude, if you haven't had your account deleted already then please reconsider, we wouldn't have a forum without postees asking questions.

Christ this reminds me of the old minit meetings, :D

Mmmmmmm.

Anyone coming into contact with designer footwear should acknowledge them and work with them accordingly.

They can be made of different materials than norm and I can say that Clarks soles mentioned earlier are made of top quality PU, I have been wearing them for 4 years. Made in Vietnam made in China made in the UK made in Spain the mix is uniform as dictated and tested by Clarks.(this comment does not refer to the older TR units)

Any stiletto of a desiger brand may cause problems and different techniques used. It may justify extra cost.

If you need to scour make sure it is a newish band as a worn one will generate heat.

If you need to drill use only a cobalt drill on a slow speed it this is possible, cooled with water every few seconds, dont wait for the heat to build as it will be to late. Cobalt dril bits will drill throiugh the side wall of the Tube so make sure the drill is verticle and so should the heel block be verticle, not a method for hand held drills as the Cobalt bit will easily snap if bent. Handy for drilling the impossible Pins.

Lubricant may not be as cold as fresh drawn water.

Lubricant can stain leather covers.

Glue Pot is dangerous.I'll give you an instance...

The tube or steel heel block is hollow down the centre,

Drilling causes heat to buil up, worn drill bits cause tremendous heat build up.

The Air in the hollow expands with the heat.

Ther can be a mini explosion as the air pressure ejects the pin or obstacle. It has happened to me on more than 6 occasions over the years.

Any hot metal coming into contact with adhesive fumes has its own dangers.

Slow drill... frequent dip.

You could of course use a Heat Sink to dissipate the heat but that is taking it to extremes.

yes cobalt drills are very good but in my view an unnescary expense for a simple drilling job , now before anyone gets a bit upset about this statement and implies that i am wrong please bear in mind that i spent 8 years before returnig to shoe repairs working for lucas aerospace and have drilled and turned all kinds of materialwith all sorts of drills ,cobalt drills were normally used for drilling cold rolled steel ,stainless steel and nimonic,now what you have to bear in mind is that your standerd high speed drill is only hardened for the first 1/2 inch or so and when over heated becouse they are blunt will generate a lot of heat and will anneal ie become softer,now if you want to drill the pins put in the tube my suggestion is to puchase a standerd hs twist drill as they are to long , iwould purchase the shorter version of the drill which in the engineering profession are called stub drills and to assist the drilling process change the cutting edge off the drill 30 degrees instead of the standerd 60 degrees and use a slower speed this should allieviate most of any drilling problems

I dont think that many Repairers will be able to judge tha Degree angle of a Bit being sharpened elfman, I have a guage to do it but Im sharpening much bigger bits to Backsmith size.

My experience is that We in the repair trade will try to get as much life out of a drill bit before it breaks or stops drilling, generally if it does not cut they put on more pressure, in many cases they have not the option of lwer speeds which would solve most of the problems. A new short drill usually works, then you can remove it and put in the old one or sharpen your old one for general use, I used to throw them in a tin then sharpen them all together, you can get mini sharpeners for a cheap price at B&Q that are adequate for small bits.

I never bothered with the sharpener though for small sizes to 1/8th I just followed the original angle as near as possible, if it did not work, dumped it.

A Cobalt bit is a very handy tool for emergencies. I use them now and not touched a stiletto for 15 years.

Cant be beaten on Spring Steel.

lubricant is designed to keep the tool cool (the drill) no the work, I have a cup of water, to dip the heel into to keep the entire job cool.

Have plenty of new drills (if you can't sharpen them) fast drill speed & slow & steady.

Lee