Shoe Repairer Forum

The 'stilletto' argument?

hi, how do you hanle it?

The 'stilletto' argument?

just had 'another' customer - brought just one boot in, saying had these done last week, worn once came off!

expecting a re-repair, comepletly free of charge - does not have reciept, not even the other boot!

now the manufactuers dont give a 'warranty' to me with good reason - they are very small heels which cannot do the job there intended for!

how - what do you do?

do you re-repair and have a "Free repair Q"

or put your foot dawn!

If, on extremely rare occassions we find the heel pin has worked loose and the whole top piece has fallen out, we replace FOC.

If the top piece has been pulled away from the pin then they pay again,regardless of how long it has been..

It's their choice to wear a heel with such a minimum amount of protection at its tip. We often show them just how much space the pin takes up inside the top piece which usually goes some way to them understanding why they can pop off so easily.

I agree Martin, the heels don't provide sufficient protection but then that's all that is available, apart from the steel tops. We shouldn't suffer for their choice of style.

Iain

I would need to see both shoes, not just one. if its kicked off or fallen out then I replace them FOC. why worry about upsetting a customer for a heel that costs very little time & money to replace. :roll:

If they have genuinely worn down & the customer is complaining then I gage the circumstances & reactions of the customers to either replace FOC do them half price or charge full price.

Lee

Lee has it right.

Prove that it is your repair and see the state of the other one, (just in case the other one is missing or worn out).

Once satisfied do it again free of charge, it's only costing you pennies and the customer will come back for another £5 + repair next time. (you may have the skills to sell them toe piece or a renovation of heel blocks while they are there).

Dont be a cheapskate for the sake of a few pennies and lose the customer.

Hugh,

It's not about being a cheapskate. We still keep our customers even when we ask them to pay again. It might be a few pennies but when it happens a few times a week, it can mount up.

I don't agree either that Lee has it right. He has his way and if it works for him then that's just great. It doesn't mean that I or any other member is automatically doing it wrong.

It has taken us years to find a balance which doesn't allow us to be abused by our customers and still managing to keep them at the same time.

Each to their own eh?

Iain

I fully agree with MINIT, I replace the top piece FOC explain and educate the customer. Always polite and sympathetic. Never show your resentment...great big smile and wave your happy customer goodbye untill next time they need your services.

What a nice chap that cobbler is..................................

Theres no right and wrong here each repair merits its own solution.

All have touched on the education of how a stilleto works/or doesnt work to there customers so once you have enlightened them as to why there repairs aint lasting you will charge them again and again, this is the way i read Iains post!

carry on!

We rarley get customers who have lost there top piece, so If we do we just replace them foc. I hate the thought of any customer going to the opposition next time because of the sake of a bit of common sense. Look at the big picture, a few pence to replace heel and a happy customer. But not just stilettos any part of our services.

Hugh,

I'm not saying they are wrong. Far from it. My point is that their methods and business practices are their own. As is mine. Just because we don't agree does not make my method any the less valid.

Please don't use the fact that you have 3 people in agreement to justify your point. That's 3 people from hundreds of members. I fully support any member who has a method which works for them. I may not choose to follow their methods but i'll support them just the same.

I'll be damned if i'm going to be called a cheapskate and have my methods questioned by someone who knows nothing about me or my business acumen. It bloody well offends me.

Cheapskate my arse!

strangest thing to me is when we do replace which is mostly, i notice the same people coming in complaining 'same line of complaint' "you only did it last week" "only worn once " etc; etc;

so to me they will take advantage time and time again! using common sense, and try to deter them by explaining even the shoe manufacturers dont warrant them at all and they should wear 'sensible shoes when doing a lot of shopping' whiich gets a few laughs and educates them at the same time. but i do get really p*****d off when it's blatantly the same customer complaining!

i am thinking of putting a small sign up, saying bring your receipt in on stillettoes, but cant think how to word it!

will keep you all posted when i do!

I Always recommend metal heels on stillettos, But if a customer wants pu tops because of whatever reason I will do it. BUT tell them the benefits of metal longer lasting etc etc.( especialy the larger ladies). If they do come back within a week or so, I will do them foc cos it is normally while -you- wait and they are both regulars and looking at what else I do/sell (see you Next time ) :-$

i was going to stay out of this debate as my brother iain is involved and i didn't want to be seen as siding with him but i strongly agree with his posts and last reply to hugh and the insinuating that the way we run our business isn't being done correctly.

i know that you proposed that he didn't mean any harm planet but you only have to look at the way hugh's reply about the hymn sheet is put....

surely iain, 4 of us have not got it wrong?????????????????? wtf?????? we've not built our business over ten years and then expanded by being bloody naive :evil:

i see nowhere in any of the posts that he thinks you're wrong :evil:, iain has made his view and methods to this debate and he (nor I) need to be berated like naughty children for daring to offer how we do things, you're not always right hugh but i think you may be a little out of touch with today's customers and the way some people will abuse your goodwill which brings me perfectly to k4mrc's point about it seeming to be the same customers all the time (i agree, it's nearly always the same people here :twisted: we had the same customer 6 weeks in a row who kept returning with different shoes, being of an ethnic origin it took me a while to realise it was the same lady :evil: ). if we kept on repairing for free the same peoples' shoes every time they buggered up the toppiece then that's an average of 400 quid a year, times that by say 3 people and that equates to over a grand, doesn't look like pennies now does it?

educating the customer will only work if the customer wants to be educated and is willing to take the time to listen to you as a professional.

don't take this post as a personal attack but you're entitled to your own opinion hugh and i know you stand by what you say but i think i'm also entitled to that privelege as is my brother who's one of the best darn businessmen i know.

peace folks, rick.

When faced with the question of why rubber stiletto top-pieces don't last forever, I have sometimes used this example.

When a 9-stone lady's stiletto heel strikes the ground, the force applied to an 8mm square top-piece is about 1134 pounds per square inch. This is roughly equal to the pressure applied by each foot of a female elephant! It's therefore not surprising that the rubber quickly 'mushrooms'.

It's best to make a quick judgement whether the customer has a sense of humour, or serious injuries could result!

when this happens to me i exlain it in this way " this style of heel is not made for everyday wear they are designed for ocassasional wear i.e red carpet does then ask them to put there finger on the counter while i hit it a few times with my hammer and see how long your finger lasts and thats what your heels have to endure when you wear them"

when this happens to me i exlain it in this way " this style of heel is not made for everyday wear they are designed for ocassasional wear i.e red carpet does then ask them to put there finger on the counter while i hit it a few times with my hammer and see how long your finger lasts and thats what your heels have to endure when you wear them"

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Best advice I've heard for years :)