Shoe Repairer Forum

5 minutes ago, chrisorros said:

I use Silca. We have used JMA from time to time as they where a little cheaper but have always gone back to Silca as better quality keys in my opinion & i have had few issues with JMA quality of blanks  

Thing is, is it actually worth doing?

we have had them done for years and most people don't even notice - when customers with timps keys that are coined they swear I've cut them!!

it's funny

Price isn't too bad just looked at hd only a couple of pence more.

·         New order minimum is just 1000 blanks and covers the cost of a new die (minimum 250 per blank type) 

·         All coining produced in the UK 

·         Lead times for customers with an existing die 2-3weeks  (3-4 weeks for orders that require plating) 

·         Lead times for new customers ordering a new die 5-6 weeks 

·         Steel blank at just £0.15ea 

·         Brass blanks from £0.19 

·         2 head styles to choose from

51 minutes ago, cowers lane 583 said:

But coining will still only cover what you need it for on the top selling blanks .

I think the range is even more now, but this depends on the shape of the key head - round head in quantities of 50 as a minimum so if you want TG1 (Tigris) you can, just obviously what I did was a mix of quite a few 

where I am there is a lot of tenement buildings with standard yale style locks on the doors, a huge amount of these properties are rented flats for students so If I cut coined keys with the shop details on them I get a lot of repeat customers for both the front door and the properties themselves.

I've using JMA at the moment and they seem ok. 

3 hours ago, B.C said:

Thing is, is it actually worth doing?

we have had them done for years and most people don't even notice - when customers with timps keys that are coined they swear I've cut them!!

it's funny

We have quite a few other key cutters round us & people are always bringing in their blanks swearing we cut them. Having the keys stamped with our logo does make this much easier & quicker to show the customer they weren't cut by us. For that alone a couple of pence it's worth it on time saved when this happens.

On 5/18/2018 at 12:51 PM, Happy Dude said:

where I am there is a lot of tenement buildings with standard yale style locks on the doors, a huge amount of these properties are rented flats for students so If I cut coined keys with the shop details on them I get a lot of repeat customers for both the front door and the properties themselves.

I've using JMA at the moment and they seem ok. 

Start of this topic was not impressed by coining, but seen as I also do a lot of keys for agents, coining would actually be a very cost effective way to advertise.

And the extra costs are virtually negligible.

46 minutes ago, cowers lane 583 said:

Start of this topic was not impressed by coining, but seen as I also do a lot of keys for agents, coining would actually be a very cost effective way to advertise.

And the extra costs are virtually negligible.

In a lot of cases coined keys are actually cheaper. Silca's coined keys work out cheaper than their standard ones, but obviously you are buying 250+ at a time.

2 hours ago, Chris @ IKS said:

In a lot of cases coined keys are actually cheaper. Silca's coined keys work out cheaper than their standard ones, but obviously you are buying 250+ at a time.

HD say you need to buy in 50's

but, I think you have to order 250 per head (same shaped head)

but you can have more or less any.

I'm thinking os the RS1 keys 

On 5/18/2018 at 11:10 AM, B.C said:

Price isn't too bad just looked at hd only a couple of pence more.

·         New order minimum is just 1000 blanks and covers the cost of a new die (minimum 250 per blank type) 

·         All coining produced in the UK 

·         Lead times for customers with an existing die 2-3weeks  (3-4 weeks for orders that require plating) 

·         Lead times for new customers ordering a new die 5-6 weeks 

·         Steel blank at just £0.15ea 

·         Brass blanks from £0.19 

·         2 head styles to choose from

:-) Thank you for the Advert :-)   lol 

• 11 months later...