Shoe Repairer Forum

Bump in scouring wheel

In order to establish whether a replacement is available we first need to establish what finisher you have? We have some very soft contact wheels available, akin to felt but more consistent, for the 700 range, they give a superior finish.

No you don't. 

What a ridiculous statement, of course the make and model is required how else can someone (a) advise on what has caused the problem and if it is already known about ( B) to give an accurate price for a replacement or repair.

In relation to the 700 machine my comment was 100% accurate OR Standard do not want to supply me. Perhaps Keith can clarify which one it is?

Back in February I contacted Standard engineering who informed me that they can supply 90, 70 and 45 shore hardness wheels. Felt wheels, which my initial inquiry was regarding were special order items only. 

I decided to drop the idea of replacing my felts on one of the machines with like for like and opt for the 45's this time. I was told these would not be in until the 3rd week of May. I telephoned in the 2nd week of May to see if they had come in, next week I was told. A week later I called back only to be told that they only keep one type of contact wheel, the 70 - which is what they put on all their new machines now, rather than a 90 which was what they were using as their 'standard' before which is what I have on my other machine. 

Half an hour or so later I received this email from them:

Hi Christopher

I just spoke to you regarding soft front contact wheels in 45 shore, unfortunately I cannot just order 1 of each wheel due to the expense.

I will be ordering a batch of 10 of each at some point later this year but cannot give you any more specific details at the minute.

Sorry for any confusion, also the wheels would have to be paid for up front. I will contact you nearer the time to advise when delivery is expected.

Phone

Pete or Kieth

Both very professional and both will help you 100%

I have a slight egg shape in my scouring wheel .... any tips for making it round again would be appreciated

Save yourself extra 'jarring' on hands and wrists AND do the job better!

In relation to the 700 machine my comment was 100% accurate OR Standard do not want to supply me. Perhaps Keith can clarify which one it is?

Back in February I contacted Standard engineering who informed me that they can supply 90, 70 and 45 shore hardness wheels. Felt wheels, which my initial inquiry was regarding were special order items only. 

I decided to drop the idea of replacing my felts on one of the machines with like for like and opt for the 45's this time. I was told these would not be in until the 3rd week of May. I telephoned in the 2nd week of May to see if they had come in, next week I was told. A week later I called back only to be told that they only keep one type of contact wheel, the 70 - which is what they put on all their new machines now, rather than a 90 which was what they were using as their 'standard' before which is what I have on my other machine. 

Half an hour or so later I received this email from them:

Hi Christopher

I just spoke to you regarding soft front contact wheels in 45 shore, unfortunately I cannot just order 1 of each wheel due to the expense.

I will be ordering a batch of 10 of each at some point later this year but cannot give you any more specific details at the minute.

Sorry for any confusion, also the wheels would have to be paid for up front. I will contact you nearer the time to advise when delivery is expected.

Just to correct the anomaly above, we normally stock two types of contact wheels, 70 and 45 shore.  We are currently out of stock of 45's and they are on back order, if anyone is interested in these then please let us know. We do have to order these in bulk, as you can imagine, so when out of stock it can sometimes to a little time to re-stock.

They are only available for the 700 series of machines, which includes the 18 band scourers.

As for pre payment, this is normal practice for us as we often do not trade with individuals from year to year. So you Chris are not being singled out, we will supply anyone who is prepared to pay  :wink:

Hi Keith, your collegue Nick says you can only order a batch of 10 which will happen later this year. No time frame given - due to expense.

Whereas you say that they are on back order. These are separate things. Could you please clarify which one is it?

What do you expect the availability date on these to be now as I have already been messed about for 3 months.

Considering the 700 series is what you supply and repair all day long I would have thought that you ordering a batch of 10 contact wheels for this series wouldn't have been hindered by the expense. 

How can you not supply replacement consumable parts off the shelf for your flagship machines because you have to spend a couple grand to buy 10 at a time.

Are you serious?

Whilst I don't feel the need to satisfy your demands Chris, I will comment.

We spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on stock throughout the year and priority goes to what we supply most of.  The softer 45 shore contact wheels are a relatively NEW development and will get pushed back if a priority part is required, like the 'standard' 70 shore items for instance.

In future, if you have a particular issue with me, my staff or my Company, please contact us via the normal channels, slagging us off in public is the wrong way to go about your issue. both your business and our's has history, of which you are fully aware of, you have always been difficult to su[pply, I will NOT engage in a public slagging match with you.

Regards

Keith 

• 1 month later...