Shoe Repairer Forum

Great work and a breath of fresh air to see work that good thats not for competition! :-)

I concur. If your putting out work like that day to day then who knows what you could do in a competition. Don't tack the waists though. There really is no need. As I found out after years.

Great work and a breath of fresh air to see work that good thats not for competition! :-)

I concur. If your putting out work like that day to day then who knows what you could do in a competition. Don't tack the waists though. There really is no need. As I found out after years.

Thank you very much for your encouragement. Yeh this is my day to day work, I like trying lots of different finishes, we offer customers a bespoke service which I can then offer extra elements to my repairs like the heel cuts & ink etc. ok that's cool, I've always nailed the waist that's how I was shown thank you for your encouragement & advice I'm open to learning new things

I feel that old debate on waist nailing coming on.......................... :lol:

For the record, nails in the waist, look shit, muller the middles & should only be used when copying the manufacturers patterns...

LETS :smt021

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lee

Al,

Try a couple of pair without tacks... Double coat the waists, Double coat the soles with adhesive. Don't dig into the waist as the multiples do. It will weaken it.. There is no need to stitch the soles on unless they have a middle. But keep with your finishing techniques they look good and is something I may adopt..... After much debate on the forum I don't tack the waists any more and have had no comebacks. Iv'e been in this game for over 40 years and still learning.

Al,

Try a couple of pair without tacks... Double coat the waists, Double coat the soles with adhesive. Don't dig into the waist as the multiples do. It will weaken it.. There is no need to stitch the soles on unless they have a middle. But keep with your finishing techniques they look good and is something I may adopt..... After much debate on the forum I don't tack the waists any more and have had no comebacks. Iv'e been in this game for over 40 years and still learning.

So do you only skive the sole not the shoe? Thank you for your advice, I'm on 8 years in the trade so you've so experience on me ;) thank you again

Skive waist and shoe to same angles. So many times I see what is nothing more than a butt joint. It looks crap and it is weak. If you are stitching through to the heel on a half sole depending on your outsoler. I have a Victor and they can get futher down than a Goodyear. Ease off on the channel through the waist so as not to go so deep.

Skive waist and shoe to same angles. So many times I see what is nothing more than a butt joint. It looks crap and it is weak.

I see, no no I don't like that. It isn't strong, I'm a skiver, I skive the sole to match what I've skived from the shoe, then taper away what remains on the shoe from the old sole. I love the challenge of a half sole, it's key to get the side of the shoe all uniform so at the edge it doesn't look like a half sole. I believe we should never underestimate the value of preparation, a half sole is all about preparation. Thanks for your interest in me.

I'd be bloddy annoyed if someone hammered all those nails in my £300 brogues. :stevenb_card:

I don't even nail rubber heels on, they aren't nailed in the factory so why do cobblers insist on punching in a ton of staples or brads!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your finish work is just beautiful to say the least.The only thing I hate is the fact that you nailed the waist.You could easily teach us how to finish so nice that's for sure.

Ray Torcaso

I get the impression no one on here nails their waists?! Lol! I'm just teasing, thank you Ray for your kind words it's really encouraging to know my work could give you new ideas

Lee why would ANYBODY ask for a half sole on an £300 pair of brogues?

why would any repairer sell a half pair of soles on a £300 pair of brogues?

i rarely do half soles any more its all full soles.

i did 4 pair of samuel windsors this week on full sole

half soles are a pain in the arse.

no waists grafts

no fussing about what design to cover your join up with

no naumkegging the "bad" waist graft (ive seen shoerepairer of the year competition entries lol)

very nice work from worn....even the nailed waists look good (a large part of this job is about aesthetics)

carry on!