Shoe Repairer Forum

Price of Ladies Soles

We charge £7.99 for Ladies Soles , or £9.99 for Sole and Heel , does this make us "two bob billies" ?, its Ok for people in affluent areas to hike the prices ( one of our competitors in a well off area 10 miles away charges £25 !) , but when your big part of your Customers customers are not that well off and only buy "budget" Shoes and Boots in the £10 to £30 bracket it still takes some convincing to get them to have the job done when they ask for Heels and the Soles are obviously on the way out.

And just for reference we have another competitor 10 miles away in the Centre of Birmingham who only charges £5 for Ladies Soles and £3 for Heels , and we sometimes think we are busy Fools !.

We charge £7.99 for Ladies Soles , or £9.99 for Sole and Heel , does this make us "two bob billies" ?, its Ok for people in affluent areas to hike the prices ( one of our competitors in a well off area 10 miles away charges £25 !) , but when your big part of your Customers customers are not that well off and only buy "budget" Shoes and Boots in the £10 to £30 bracket it still takes some convincing to get them to have the job done when they ask for Heels and the Soles are obviously on the way out.

And just for reference we have another competitor 10 miles away in the Centre of Birmingham who only charges £5 for Ladies Soles and £3 for Heels , and we sometimes think we are busy Fools !.

Take your point to a degree Smult, but there is guys out there charging a Quid for keys and watch batteries etc, they are morons in my opinion.

We also have the "Car Boot" traders who charge £1 for any Cylinder and £2 for any Mortice as well as Watch Batteries for a £ . We tell the peole who come in and tell us this that we would love to be able to do the same but unfortunatly we have Rent , Rates , Wages , NI and Tax and VAT to pay , but most of all we will be in the same place 6 Days a week if they have a problem with a Key .

Most of us are Happy with the prices we charge , and our Customers are Happy with the Service we provide ,otherwise we would not be in Buisness, On certain jobs we may all like to squeeze a little extra if we could , but in a bid not to "Rock the Boat" keep costs as they are .

Prices do Vary from Area to Area (more than some people think ), but a Big difference as Danny is reporting means that something is obviously amiss.

Guest Brad Naylor

In the centre of Leicester there are 9 Shoe Repair shops , all within the same sqaure mile , 2 are a well known Multiple , 7 independants , Ladies sole prices range from £4.99 to £18 , we charge £7 and get what we think is "our share" , mostly regulars , and what seems to be more and more coming in having been quoted £18 by the nice men in the Multiple Shops

In the centre of Leicester there are 9 Shoe Repair shops , all within the same sqaure mile , 2 are a well known Multiple , 7 independants , Ladies sole prices range from £4.99 to £18 , we charge £7 and get what we think is "our share" , mostly regulars , and what seems to be more and more coming in having been quoted £18 by the nice men in the Multiple Shops

Well at those prices you deserve to be busy. Perhaps you could put a big sign in the window so passers by and drivers could see. I know it would be appealing to me.

I often wonder when you get so busy so you take next day repairs then pay someone part time or give someone overtime to do shift work in order to meet the demand or do you just turn away customers or point them in the direction of your friends shop?

I never recall seeing the lights on in a shoe repair shop when the pubs kick out so maybe its not the done thing. Does anyone work in this way. I.E. could the "busy Fools" scenario be made to pay if you had shift workers on the bench day and night?

Harry.

Guest darrenbooth

if you want to check out the average price for any repair just check out the online price survey.please rememember if you fix ten pairs for ten pound and your competiter fixes five at twenty and you both do a good job and your custumers are happy then you and your competiter are both happy but your tired and fall asleep by six thirty while he's still down the pub spending his profit.

but your tired and fall asleep by six thirty while he's still down the pub spending his profit.

So does that make the busy fool wealthier as he hasn't spent his profit :-k

I never recall seeing the lights on in a shoe repair shop when the pubs kick out

Harry.

You've never been passed my shop at 01:30 then :shock:

but when your big part of your Customers customers are not that well off and only buy "budget" Shoes and Boots in the £10 to £30 bracket it still takes some convincing to get them to have the job done when they ask for Heels and the Soles

I did a sole/heel job on a budget pair of Fiore court shoes, I failed to convince her not to spend the £22 fee & buy another new pair. ](*,)

and we sometimes think we are busy Fools !.

I sometimes think that of myself.....till I count the takings \:D/

Anyone else charge this silly amount.... :D Or am I charging to much....

Recently I had a competitor open up a couple of miles away from me & asked my grandad (retired businessman, who made far more than I ever will! :lol: ) what I should do in regards to a new competitor he said "do nothing" this was the best bit of advice I have ever received. the competitors doing work half my price, yet so far I haven't noticed them! in fact engraving (their main line) is going so well I'm expanding it!

I often wonder when you get so busy so you take next day repairs
when I'm busy next day repairs become next week, customers love the fact that I'm so busy it makes them confident in the results & most are happy to wait. My main period is the last week of the month when everyone gets paid.
I never recall seeing the lights on in a shoe repair shop when the pubs kick out so maybe its not the done thing.
I often see Terry on line on the forum in the small hours! I was here stock taking until 10.30 last night but don't make a habit of working late. I work to live not, live to work.

Lee

I often see Terry on line on the forum in the small hours! I was here stock taking until 10.30 last night but don't make a habit of working late. I work to live not, live to work.

i have tried to tell tel not to wok on - but almost evry night (except saturday) you can ring his shop number!!

i think he loves it!!

Just had a conversation with a bloke from Enfield who owns 2 dry cleaning shops and is opening 1 in my high street.He wants me to do some shoe repairs for him which he will bring up from London as he will be coming here every day.He uses a multiple that CARE for SHOES :wink: . They charge £4.00 for ladies heels and give him 40% discount.Now I charge £6.95 for ladies heels so can someone give me some advice on how the f****ing hell this is gonna work!!!! #-o #-o :-k :-k

No idea exactly on numbers of pairs, but after a few taps of the calculator I'm thinking is it worth cutting my own throat for a few quid a week,as I don't think it's gonna be massive amounts of work. ](*,) ](*,)

Any suggestions/help please

Service & ease is worth a lot to the customer, I have just gained a new agent who, reading between the lines was paying less before. But its easier for them to use me & they get a better job done.

Give this new customer your price list & negotiate his discount (20%) see how he takes it. Ask him to trial your repairs before coming to a decision, if he likes what he sees he'll use you.

Lee

My other agent gets 30% so I offered him 25% and he turned his nose up straight away. Obviously willing to go to 30% but with the big difference in prices I dont think he's gonna go for it.I dont mind 35% if it's lots of work and it's when I'm quiet, but when I get busy on my own repairs or engraving then I begrudge doing that work at such a heavy discount.

I suppose beggars can't be choosers and all that!

The essence of this thread sounds familiar to me :-k I will repeat what i have said before, NEVER, EVER, underestimate your service, coz that's what it is, a skilled service. Educate your customers, communicate with them and you will fare far better in the long run :D

Anyone can make a quick buck, but will you be running your own business in 12/24 months time? You need to make profit, end of. We all have our limits as to how low we can go, or be prepared to go depending on overheads, but never settle for less just coz 'the bloke down the road only charges...' x,y or z I hear that all to often [-X

Low prices are not the answer, better value is. Try this, the next time a customer comes in, quote them a price for the key he needs and them ask the following question, how many would you like? I'll bet a pound to a penny, he will come back with, 'is it cheaper for two' :wink: you will of course say, of course sir, it'll be so and so and cut him two. Do it for the next five customers and see how much more money you make. For example, £2-50 becomes £4-00 for two keys =D>

Now, you could spend the rest of the day cutting keys for a quid, but I'll bet I finish earlier and eat out more than you :D

As far as agency work is concerned, 40% is too much to give an agent imho, offer him 30% and if he walks away so be it. Personally, I think he's trying it on anyway [-(

Keith

I wouldn't trust harry from enfield till he's up and running how do you know its only going to be dry cleaning.

I did wonder this. He said he has 2 shops in Enfield and neither does shoes.Another dry cleaners/shoe repairs/key cutters opened up in between his 2 shops (within 20 or so shops distance) so he bought some key machines and started doing any key £1 !!!!

But with already 3 repairers and 4 key cutters in this small town I think he would be stupid to try anything like that [-X [-X