Shoe Repairer Forum

We've been asked to quote for a school's restricted euro cylinders.

Ideally I'd like a blank that's only available to me rather than having to laboriously and expensively order cut keys via a supplier.

Any tips?

Thank you

Abus Pfaffenhain good cylinders not to bad on price loads of different options available. 0117 204 7000

Codringtons have a few systems available although stock can be an issue with Codringtons sometimes. 020 8889 8494

I would also highly reccomend the Evva EPS system from Aldridges, they have plenty of stock and you can always take on your own section. 08444 125 101.

Brisant as far as i am aware don't offer a restricted suite only the MLA suite which is available to all members.01924 410 200.

If Brisant do offer one there service is superb.

There are plenty of systems out there available to you but i would avoid any Assa Abloy and all it's spin off companies like the plague, the prices can jump massively without warning and stock can also be an issue.

It is a big commitment to a registered suite so find out how much stock you have to take on to start a new system.

So far I've approached Abus, Codringtons and Brisant.

Abus = sounds like they've got the hardware and everything else but the rep is very confusing/confused and also not exactly quick.

Brisant = don't have the ability to restrict key profiles according to the girl on the phone.

Codringtons = they do have the ability it seems but somehow wasn't convinced enough to go with them straight away despite the fact they were the first people I phoned. 

Looks like I'll have to speak to Aldridges per Graham's tip and maybe Avocet per Mick Friend's tip.

So far I've approached Abus, Codringtons and Brisant.

Abus = sounds like they've got the hardware and everything else but the rep is very confusing/confused and also not exactly quick.

Brisant = don't have the ability to restrict key profiles according to the girl on the phone.

Codringtons = they do have the ability it seems but somehow wasn't convinced enough to go with them straight away despite the fact they were the first people I phoned.

Looks like I'll have to speak to Aldridges per Graham's tip and maybe Avocet per Mick Friend's tip.

Who is your rep.

They are usually very well trained. If you need technical advice then try to get hold of either Andy Mace or Rob Chandler in Bristol or David Hudson if you ask the office to get him to call you.

• 4 weeks later...

Codringtons have a few systems available although stock can be an issue with Codringtons sometimes. 020 8889 8494

Codringtons offered me an R43 profile which they said isn't currently in use in my area but wasn't protected. Would you say this is sufficient protection? I'm worried about the blank becoming available on the mass market at some point in the future...

Early days I went with codringtons Anker  "restricted" section.

Had it about a year and the found that my very large friend about 4 miles from me has the same section.

We toddle up to Telford and surround the codringtons fella and ask him to explain.

All we got was Scottish jibba jabba.

The Anker section is restricted to whoever they want to give it to.

It would probably work if they had 25 to 50miles between sections but they dont.

Early days I went with codringtons Anker  "restricted" section.

Had it about a year and the found that my very large friend about 4 miles from me has the same section.

We toddle up to Telford and surround the codringtons fella and ask him to explain.

All we got was Scottish jibba jabba.

The Anker section is restricted to whoever they want to give it to.

It would probably work if they had 25 to 50miles between sections but they dont.

Kenny is usually spot on so that suprises me, they told me when I bought my section (shared) there would be no one else within a 50 mile radius of us.

Did you not sign a contract with them when you took on your system, I never did and they are adamant I have even though they have failed to provide any proof that I ever did.

Codringtons offered me an R43 profile which they said isn't currently in use in my area but wasn't protected. Would you say this is sufficient protection? I'm worried about the blank becoming available on the mass market at some point in the future...

If your worried then commit to a one of section of your own, but it is a huge financial commitment that you buying.

If you can wait until the next trade show and visit all the different companies and ask about the difference between shared and restricted systems.

After visiting the Pfaffenhain factory as a Guest of Abus I was sold onto their systems almost immediately and there are so many options available, you really need to have a word with David Hudson if you are confused by what the rep has told you.

No contract signed and we were green so, the words "shared and restricted" where used by both parties but not fully understood be me.

My fault but very upset to find my mate up the rd had the same section.

By that time we found this out, it was why to late for either of us to do anything about it apart from get rid of what we had and not re-stoke Anker.

Good product and tough keys.

to late for either of us to do anything about it apart from get rid of what we had 

Just out of interest - what was the need for you both to be on totally separate sections? Just curious. Were you trying to give your customers a secure product or just trying to retain key cutting business ? etc

So that your customer cannot go elsewhere locally so you can control who has keys.

We have a few master suites that when we see the numbering we know who to cut keys for and more importantly WHO NOT to supply extra keys to.

If someone else can cut your keys locally you lose the control over a system you supplied.

• 1 year later...

I went with the Abus system in the end which has been brilliant EXCEPT the keys are shearing off!

Anyone had this problem? It's potentially quite the PITA because if he starts wanting to return the whole system I really don't know where I stand...

Says with his old (Laidlaw) restricted suite this never happened....

I've not blurred the pin depths because nobody knows where the locks are located apart from me...

IMG_0459.JPG

looks like a deep cut next to the shoulder = weakens the key especially if its on a huge bunch and the caretaker is ex tank core as grey ham says talk to ABUS they won't want a defective system any more than you - I have never had keys break so something is wong very wong 

This is usually the case if the customer uses keys for other activities such as:
  opening bottles of wine, beer
It is often the fault of a warped door
Wood likes stable air humidity
If it is exposed to changes it will either swell and if it is dry again it will shrink
And then it comes to that it's very hard to open them and the key can break
Customers often lie to get a new key for free
I would check this door and then you can be sure what happened

The first cut doesn't look that deep. Pfaffenhain/ Abus are very beefy keys. We have a couple of profiles in them and breakages are very few, and mostly with very deep cuts.
I fully agree with Simon1 that something more is going on here. Schools, in my expercience, have very neglegted doors and locks.