Shoe Repairer Forum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought its not a question of % we can copy, but % of inquiries we can pick up.

What can be copied? out of that who will only want a fully functioning remote? & out of whats left who will pay the price for the key?

I'm planning on expanding my knowledge in this field imminently! I've let myself fall way behind over the past few years, I'm still using an RW2 with Tex code. I've ordered a transponder programmer & once mastered will move to the next stage with in-car programming for remotes etc, which I'm planning on doing with in the next few months.

Lee

I would have thought its not a question of % we can copy, but % of inquiries we can pick up.

What can be copied? out of that who will only want a fully functioning remote? & out of whats left who will pay the price for the key?

I'm planning on expanding my knowledge in this field imminently! I've let myself fall way behind over the past few years, I'm still using an RW2 with Tex code. I've ordered a transponder programmer & once mastered will move to the next stage with in-car programming for remotes etc, which I'm planning on doing with in the next few months.

Lee

I've also thought about this as I'm only using a Bianchi 883 with texas crypto upgrade, but the amount of people who quaff at the price of " only a car key!!" has really put me off investing maybe a couple of thousand to have it sitting gathering dust.

A lot of people still don't even know that cars have immobilisers :roll: I get "there's no immobiliser because I don't have to press a button " :roll: ](*,)

I have asked some customers whose keys I couldn't do , If I could do them they would be maybe £80-£140 and probably 90% said they wouldn't pay that much...they would make do with 1 key.They probably then go to the dealer and pay more anyway. ](*,) ](*,)

Lee

good to see you moving with the times in the car key market lee

craig

I tell them the starting cost if they loose the key ,& they can also check the cost from the dealer ,I also explain that I can also remember the code on the Silca data base just in case they do loose them & up until now I have won every single customer. :) looking frwd to getting the ID46.

I think if if you want to make money this is something you have to commit to 100%. I have had a couple of transponder machines but I am getting left behind. It's not for the faint hearted. I honestly think it's best left to the autllockies. Sure I get a few here and there but I turn more away than I duplicate .For 2 reasons a: because the customer don't want to pay, b: because I can't duplicate them ie ID46 because of the faff of copying them. Simplify it and we may have a chance with our humble in shop copiers.

Good morning guys,

over here in Belgium, it's just the same. The potential customer bought himself a second hand car with one key on it. They come in to let make a second because driving with just one key is not the right way. When you tell them it's a transponder key they denie because they don't have to push a buttom. Later when they hear the price they have to think about it. You won't see them back untill the time their only key is broken and they can't drive anymore. At that moment you have to be the magic man with the golden fingers and oh yeh when the key doesn't fit. How could this happen? Or you haven't done it well. Even when I use the unocode they wonder why it costs more than making a normal key.

To my opinion the market for these keys is lost for us. The car manufacturer make it always harder to copy and make a market special for themselves. Lots of dealer tell their clients that the keys can only be obtained by them. They order the key in the factory and program them in their diagnostic machine that's specially equiped with software for their mark they sell.

Greetz on a sunny sunday.

Good morning guys,

over here in Belgium, it's just the same. The potential customer bought himself a second hand car with one key on it. They come in to let make a second because driving with just one key is not the right way. When you tell them it's a transponder key they denie because they don't have to push a buttom. Later when they hear the price they have to think about it. You won't see them back untill the time their only key is broken and they can't drive anymore. At that moment you have to be the magic man with the golden fingers and oh yeh when the key doesn't fit. How could this happen? Or you haven't done it well. Even when I use the unocode they wonder why it costs more than making a normal key.

To my opinion the market for these keys is lost for us. The car manufacturer make it always harder to copy and make a market special for themselves. Lots of dealer tell their clients that the keys can only be obtained by them. They order the key in the factory and program them in their diagnostic machine that's specially equiped with software for their mark they sell.

Greetz on a sunny sunday.

i disagree this is a great neich market that we are able to cash in on as long as you are prepared to invest a good few thousand on it you will do well.

craig

I spent some time with Craig at the Scotland Cutting Edge show, Saturday night talking to him & an hour at his van during the Sunday (thanks Craig) & it really inspired me.

This is one area where the independent can really excel, if more where doing it. We'd have a much better reputation for it as an industry.

I honestly think it's best left to the autllockies.
Craig talks about total lost recovery & Eeprom programming, which is way beyound where I'd want to go, but he's invested & autolockying (how the hell do you spell that!) is where he's at, but there's a huge amount of people out there who will walk in a dealers or key cutters wanting a key & when they don't get them they buy all manner of keys off ebay in ignorant need!

This is business as an industry we are letting go off.

Lee

But for the likes of me and you, and many others who work alone it means employing someone to go to the vehicle to do the programming,or face closing the shop and losing your bread and butter customers.Lee, your not so bad because you have plenty of room for cars to pull up outside but I don't.I am in a small street off the high street which is closed to cars between 10 and 4. (soon to be 8-6)

if you get a system like the key-crypt pro or ad900pro (same machine different distributors) then you can do quite a few keys on bench & those where with other systems you need snoop devices with these you don't. so there's no reason why you shouldn't give the customer clear instructions on getting the additional information from the car in readiness for the final stage in the machine. Although this isn't something I'm planning on doing I see you could still program many, many keys with out leaving the shop.

Lee

if you get a system like the key-crypt pro or ad900pro (same machine different distributors) then you can do quite a few keys on bench & those where with other systems you need snoop devices with these you don't. so there's no reason why you shouldn't give the customer clear instructions on getting the additional information from the car in readiness for the final stage in the machine. Although this isn't something I'm planning on doing I see you could still program many, many keys with out leaving the shop.

Lee

I didn't realise this, I thought all the cryptographic chips had to be programmed through the OBD port. :oops:

Lee

I'm in the same position as Michael, one way street, double yellows, work alone. I have a keycrypt and the majority of keys that are coming now are ID46 chipped.I can see flaws in your suggestion Lee Firstly the customer isn't going to be very happy at having to do half the job themselves, secondly a little old lady with a Nissan Micra isn't going to have a clue what you would be asking her to do.

So would you say the keycrypt pro was a waste of time?

Do you turn a lot away that you can't do?

I personally think this avenue is shutting for a lot of us, and would prefer to invest my money elsewhere unless a machine that covers at least 90% of car key and remote programming, from the shop comes out.. [-o<

The keycrypt is a good machine, the backup is good. Its not the machine that is resticting me, Its my shop position etc as I stated. I could upgrade it to do 46 chips for a couple of hundred quid. I would say I turn away 60% of keys and thats not really acceptable.

seems this could just be a waste of money,

friend of mine has just recieved the battery head version 2 weeks ago,

of all the customers waiting for this 5 would not program!

also 1 key cut and programmed "as the book said" would not start the vehicle,

he is sending the unit and the 10 keys free back!!

seems this could just be a waste of money,

friend of mine has just recieved the battery head version 2 weeks ago,

of all the customers waiting for this 5 would not program!

also 1 key cut and programmed "as the book said" would not start the vehicle,

he is sending the unit and the 10 keys free back!!

well done thats the best thing he could do with the id46 update