Shoe Repairer Forum

HELP - Suregrave Rotation-S

Guest Conniee

Guest Conniee

Ok so where do I start...

I have recently purchased the Suregrave Rotation S machine however unfortunatly after a full day of training which seemed to go completely pearshaped (took 5 hours to setup the machine) I didn't get much in the way of training. This means that subsequently I'm not really sure how to use the machine. I contacted suregrave and they tried to sell me more training which at present I can't afford.

Basically what I am looking for is someone with this machine who could assist me in some of the basic tasks with the machine...

or if they are in the Glasgow Area could either come and help me or I could come to them and simply watch them work to pick up how things are done...

Any help would be much appreciated as I really want to get this machine up and running ASAP

Hi,

We have a suregrave machine, not sure what help we can be but we can try.

Suregraves training is useless took us months to sort out the machine and learn how to use it, It will be going as soon as we can replace it.

Anyone want to buy a suregrave rotation s one careful owner :lol:

one careful owner :lol:
why is conniee selling one? :lol:

You'll probably need to be more task specific to get answers from the forum conniee, yours is an open ended question really. Are you having trouble with the job size, the machining, the centering of the head etc etc.

Ask one question, one step of the way & you'll find all the answers you need! welcome to the forum & good luck!

Lee

Guest Conniee

ok thank you thus far...

Well we gt a job the other day which i stupidly took in the customer wanted a plaque engraved however i used the diamond cutter on drag mode to do it and found that the cutter was not cutting deep enough to get to the black backing but when i set the Z lower down it was dragging the diamond across the face of the plaque between letters (lucky i had spares) does anyone know why this may not be working correctly?

Hi Conniee,

Are you trying to engrave heavy brass (1mm thick or thicker)

It sounds like you are using the wrong type of cutter, a diamond will only scratch the surface and will never go deep enough to fill with paint although if you are engraving jewlers brass (laquered 0.5mm thick) you can blacken the text with a brass blacking chemical,we buy ours from mastergrave and one pot will last for ages.

If you are engraving heavy brass what you need is a milling cutter, there are different size tips (0.3 - 0.6 - 0.9 - 1.2 - 1.5 are good sizes to have(mastergrave again)) and angles (22 degrees is normal) of cutter all for varying size of text. 0.3 will engrave a single line text down to about 3mm high and 0.3 deep without filling in the middle of the letters but cutting deep enough to be able to fill with paint.

Just remember you won't be able to do everything straight away but the more you practice and use your machine the more you will get used to it, just don't practice on the thing the customer brings in.

The other problem you are having with the diamond draging between the letters is because as you set the Z lower the diamond is not lifting high enough to pass to the next letter without dragging across it. There should be a setting, maybe for curved items so as the diamond will lift higher between letters.

Hang in there and keep practicing, and keep your hand near the dead stop button if your not sure :o)

James.

Guest Conniee
Hi Conniee,

Are you trying to engrave heavy brass (1mm thick or thicker)

It sounds like you are using the wrong type of cutter, a diamond will only scratch the surface and will never go deep enough to fill with paint although if you are engraving jewlers brass (laquered 0.5mm thick) you can blacken the text with a brass blacking chemical,we buy ours from mastergrave and one pot will last for ages.

If you are engraving heavy brass what you need is a milling cutter, there are different size tips (0.3 - 0.6 - 0.9 - 1.2 - 1.5 are good sizes to have(mastergrave again)) and angles (22 degrees is normal) of cutter all for varying size of text. 0.3 will engrave a single line text down to about 3mm high and 0.3 deep without filling in the middle of the letters but cutting deep enough to be able to fill with paint.

Just remember you won't be able to do everything straight away but the more you practice and use your machine the more you will get used to it, just don't practice on the thing the customer brings in.

The other problem you are having with the diamond draging between the letters is because as you set the Z lower the diamond is not lifting high enough to pass to the next letter without dragging across it. There should be a setting, maybe for curved items so as the diamond will lift higher between letters.

Hang in there and keep practicing, and keep your hand near the dead stop button if your not sure :o)

James.

sorry should have said its gold coloured acrylic with a bacl backing the gold covering is only about 1mm

Guest Conniee

ok i will give it a try with the cutter on the machine, do i leave the profile in drag mode for milling?

Also how do you set the retract point higher?

Thanks

No Conniee you don't leave the profile in drag mode. you need to have the spindle rotating. The retract will be set from within the software. I suggest you get back in touch with Suregrave and get them to talk you through the operation, failing that I noticed Marino offered to call & help you. I suggest you take him up on the offer. Because I think you are going to struggle otherwise.

Guest Conniee

Ok after a long weekend and lots of practice I am now beginning to get to grips with the machines basics, I can now change the cutters and set the machine up. I can now also engrave zippos, brass plates, pet tags and acrylic plates. It just took a lot of time and plenty of practice.... (lots of waste materials but some can be used for display purposes...)

Now I am looking for some suppliers, looking for a supplier for fancy Name plates... Marble effect etc.

Anyone know of such place?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Ok so where do I start...

I have recently purchased the Suregrave Rotation S machine however unfortunatly after a full day of training which seemed to go completely pearshaped (took 5 hours to setup the machine) I didn't get much in the way of training. This means that subsequently I'm not really sure how to use the machine. I contacted suregrave and they tried to sell me more training which at present I can't afford.

Basically what I am looking for is someone with this machine who could assist me in some of the basic tasks with the machine...

or if they are in the Glasgow Area could either come and help me or I could come to them and simply watch them work to pick up how things are done...

Any help would be much appreciated as I really want to get this machine up and running ASAP

anybody on here know where conniee's shop is