Shoe Repairer Forum

tungsten cutter sharpening??

I concur, but I still feel it holds you back if you lack the proper equipment, Like a varga saw, whats the point in having expensive engraving machines if you can't cut out the marerial to size. Example I did 6 laminate signs for a customer today, which I would have lost in I hadn't got the means to cut out all the sizes required.

get a cutter grinder it makes sense

get a saw it makes sense

it makes money

makes sense

carry on!

i'm pretty cramped for space in my engraving workshop...sorry back shop..8-[

i don't have room to store sheets and saws, my mate is the engraver for keyprint and he only lives a couple of miles from me so when i need plates pronto i call him and i collect from him at home or he drops them off if he's my way and we can always get for a pint... \:D/

even they send off their cutters to get sharpened... :?

it's all down to the type of work you do

before i happened upon the wonders of computerised engraving

when i used a machine only known as "the deadly bitch"

it was all cutter work and a couple of grinders were a must. one for tungsten and one for hss

99% of cutter work i do now is on bakerlite bases so i can live without a grinder

i can cut up to 12" x 18" plastic on the laser, and i have my trusty guillotine for metals

i would love to have a saw too, but just don't have the space

if i did, i would plump for a solid bench saw over a varga

by the way Gravo sharpen cutters too, not sure how old my book is (VOL 2E) £1.95 per cutter

I don't have the luxury of a varga saw but I can cut out any size up to A4 on my machine and that suits me ok. Anything larger than that I have to farm out as most do anyway

rlj how do you cut brass on your machine? i was intrigued as i dont have a saw eiether and would like to be able to cut smaller pieces myself.. or its only possible on a flatbed :(

i have a beveller though,can i improvise with it somehow? i need to cut pieces off a4 brass plaques any ideas folk?

I don't have the luxury of a varga saw but I can cut out any size up to A4 on my machine and that suits me ok. Anything larger than that I have to farm out as most do anyway

rlj how do you cut brass on your machine? i was intrigued as i dont have a saw eiether and would like to be able to cut smaller pieces myself.. or its only possible on a flatbed :(

i have a beveller though,can i improvise with it somehow? i need to cut pieces off a4 brass plaques any ideas folk?

It is a difficult one Hakeem, If I were you I would buy precut sizes, and offer the customer the sizes you have in stock.. Or bite the bullet and buy saw mate.

PS, I think Birch do brass cut to size.

this is the beveller i,v got cutter doesnt come out much to let me use it as a sheet cutter so i just use it on odd bevel job..

yes i use birch for cut out sizes and to be honest they are fairly sharp with delivery.. its just me eager to learn tips and tricks of trade,, and you are right ,,buying the saw is on the list as well :D

DSC03020.JPG