Shoe Repairer Forum

looking for inspiration

We've just closed our retail shoes department and so we have a space (about 250 sq ft) to fill at the back of the shop. Our choices are:-

a) we expand our current services into the vacant space;

b)sublet the space to some one else as a "shop within a shop";

c) start another servce to complement our shoe repairs, keycutting, sharpening and engraving services

d) something else that we haven't thought of.

We would really appreciate any comments or ideas

b)sublet the space to some one else as a "shop within a shop"; Yes, as a last resort

c) start another service to complement our shoe repairs, keycutting, sharpening and engraving services Display of engraveable gifts & awards, small leather goods & an area for watch repairs (battery & strap replacement)

if i had a space like that available and if i did only the lines your saying -

i would look at auto locksmithing, locksmiths - watch repairs -

or if you do those already,

turn it into manufacturering house signs - brass doctors signs etc, but making sure that your public can see what your doing but in a health and safety way.engraving then would become even bigger for you - more profit!

another thing that might suit you,

i sell pipes - tobbacco - blunts - rips - grinders - etc

which all tick over quite nicely, you would need a lockable cabinet to size as you like, and if you can get to birmingham you can buy all cheap thus making even more profit!

Key cutting is a highly profitable, comparatively low investment option. It has the same mindset as shoe repairs, i.e. get on and job the job and put the money in the till. The actual job of key cutting is reasonably easy to learn, the hardest job is recognition of the blanks, which is pure experience learn on the job.

Initially sticking with household keys, and some double side keys. This is the bulk of the profit. Along with some retail padlocks and accessories. Leave car keys & locksmithing alone, until you have got this under your belt, and then think twice.

Engraving is fun, and can be very rewarding, but where do you stop. Giftware, a few tankards, trophies, brass & laminate plates on wood mounts, making logos and clipart. There is constant demand for more infrastructure & space. Space to keep 4' x 2' sheets, and the Varga saw for them.

It will require a separate assistant to take on work., customers taking for ever to choose a article, then asking what shall I engrave on it, and another 20 minutes spent. 20 minutes that could of cut £40 of keys.

Unless you go into reasonable plant for tool sharpening, the market is going to be knives & scissors. The bulk being cheap scissors, that don’t cut because they are buckled or failing rivets. When sharpened they can cut worse than before. To many home goals.

A decent cafe? Ah yes I can picture it now. Ted in his glue covered apron serving steak & chips, candlelit table and in the background the sound of a finisher scouring a pair of Mephistos, plumes of smoke gently wafting over the diners, the faint smell of Bostik 6092, the gentle hiss of a press, the grinding of keys gently kissing the fillings of those who are eating.

by rlj » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:55 pm

How about dry cleaning, launderette. Or just follow Timpsons lead, they seem to have it sussed.

your 100% right!

timpsons are now into photo development, look at the shops they are refiiting - FOLLOW

hibsjo does very well in all of this type of thing.

give him a call i think he has a photo booth for sale..

passports!

A decent cafe? Ah yes I can picture it now. Ted in his glue covered apron serving steak & chips, candlelit table and in the background the sound of a finisher scouring a pair of Mephistos, plumes of smoke gently wafting over the diners, the faint smell of Bostik 6092, the gentle hiss of a press, the grinding of keys gently kissing the fillings of those who are eating.

:lol:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

call me smutty but a nice curtain, a few soft matresses and dim lighting .............. the rest I leave to you.

Mr Timpson did not get the big car and cigar by standing still - good example to watch.

As has been said no locksmithing every man and his dog is a locksmith about 100 startups a week, and about 150 a week crashing.

Unless of course there is not a quality locksmith in town - I'm available for a consultancy.

Dry cleaning is a good idea,we have done this for years.Firstly find yourself a nice local independent cleaner and see if you can negotiate a good discount for the volume you will be bringing (ie 15 to 20 %) then get yourself a hanger and away you go.Most importantly take for all items as you take them in this way you are never left with any un claimed items,we take for ALL jobs when we take them in and have done for the last 8 years and once your customers get used to this you will be amazed how well it works.We make 3 journeys a week to the cleaner we use and make around 1200-1500 profit every year from very little outlay.Plus you are helping to support another small local business.

We've just closed our retail shoes department and so we have a space (about 250 sq ft) to fill at the back of the shop. Our choices are:-

a) we expand our current services into the vacant space;

b)sublet the space to some one else as a "shop within a shop";

c) start another servce to complement our shoe repairs, keycutting, sharpening and engraving services

d) something else that we haven't thought of.

We would really appreciate any comments or ideas

fill the wall with photo frames and put in a instant photo printing machine and also do passport photos and you will be quids in. i have a photo booth and a passport camera set up for sale if you are interested pm me.

Craig