Shoe Repairer Forum

Silca Futura Pro - Magnum Superior

21 hours ago, da miller said:

looks like 3star platinum cut instead of 1 star 

Nope, snake cut is to long if you used the 3 star card.

18 hours ago, abababa said:

However if you re-calibrate the jaws and try again, you may get a better result

Agreed.

The biggest mistake with all these is using the correct cutting cards.

Been able to tell the difference between a Magnum and yale helps massively.

I can muanually adjust depth settings as well as move the positions on my Triax Pro using the SKP software but do not think this is possible with the Futura.

We have cut at least 3000 of these and still have issues (vary rare lately) where we have to cut slightly higher/deeper than factory settings to get the keys to work.

Manual for Futura Pro:

https://www.silca.biz/resource/blob/1138522/da3641d856de2691bd0d1e2fccff7fec/futura-pro-futura-pro-automotive-software-guide-en-pdf-data.pdf

Page 57:

At the end of the operation you are required to save the data entered. Tap “Yes” to confirm.
MANUAL CORRECTIONS
Y, X and Z axis manual corrections can be applied if necessary.
Positive value of Y: takes cut closer to stop.
Negative value of Y: takes cut away from stop.
Positive value of X: moves cut to the right of the axis.
Negative value of X: moves cut to the left of the axis.
Positive value of Z: lowers the cut from the axis.
Negative value of Z: raises the cut from the axis.
Adjustments: from -30 to +30 hundredths of mm (+/- 118 thousandths of an inch)
Tap “Save” to confirm.

I presume the adjustments are required because the blanks are thicker/thinner than the original - setting it to cut half the difference in thickness less on the Z axis for thicker keys should in theory correct it.

Obviously you mustn't forget to reset the calibration before cutting any other type of key.

Edited by Trev

On 11/18/2023 at 9:08 PM, Trev said:

Is it me or does the blank look slightly thicker than the original - did the customer say whether the key goes into the lock?

If it is thicker it will also cause the cuts to be too deep.

Hi, the customer said the key went in the lock just wouldn't turn - it's so irritating when you just cant suss out why it's cutting this individual key wrong 

On 11/18/2023 at 9:48 PM, abababa said:

Futura is hit or miss on these... after 4 years of hit or miss, I duplicate on mustang.  However if you re-calibrate the jaws and try again, you may get a better result

The annoying thing is, it's cutting the 3star correctly. I'm unsure if the calibration will do anything as it's the same jaws for the 3 star 

11 hours ago, grahamparker said:

Nope, snake cut is to long if you used the 3 star card.

Agreed.

The biggest mistake with all these is using the correct cutting cards.

Been able to tell the difference between a Magnum and yale helps massively.

I can muanually adjust depth settings as well as move the positions on my Triax Pro using the SKP software but do not think this is possible with the Futura.

We have cut at least 3000 of these and still have issues (vary rare lately) where we have to cut slightly higher/deeper than factory settings to get the keys to work.

I can 100% be sure it's a magnum. Cutting cards are the tricky bit but I'm pretty much there with it. I'm wondering if there's a way to set it differently for this individual key. The most annoying thing is that I've cut all types of yales on here and this is the first time it's ever done it.

11 hours ago, Trev said:

Manual for Futura Pro:

https://www.silca.biz/resource/blob/1138522/da3641d856de2691bd0d1e2fccff7fec/futura-pro-futura-pro-automotive-software-guide-en-pdf-data.pdf

Page 57:

At the end of the operation you are required to save the data entered. Tap “Yes” to confirm.
MANUAL CORRECTIONS
Y, X and Z axis manual corrections can be applied if necessary.
Positive value of Y: takes cut closer to stop.
Negative value of Y: takes cut away from stop.
Positive value of X: moves cut to the right of the axis.
Negative value of X: moves cut to the left of the axis.
Positive value of Z: lowers the cut from the axis.
Negative value of Z: raises the cut from the axis.
Adjustments: from -30 to +30 hundredths of mm (+/- 118 thousandths of an inch)
Tap “Save” to confirm.

I presume the adjustments are required because the blanks are thicker/thinner than the original - setting it to cut half the difference in thickness less on the Z axis for thicker keys should in theory correct it.

Obviously you mustn't forget to reset the calibration before cutting any other type of key.

I'll see if I can work this out. Thank you :)

11 hours ago, lock&quay said:

I use two manual machines for doing these  1 x HD Punto set up for laser &  RST TM303 for dimple cuts , I find it quicker & have had none returned .

Unfortunately we aren't in a position to have lots of machines. We were ensured this is a brilliant machine. Which it has been until now. We are only a small shop which key cutting is a sideline but also becoming a big part of the business

On 11/18/2023 at 9:48 PM, abababa said:

Futura is hit or miss on these

It's 100% when the correct card is used.

2 hours ago, KiaMarie said:

were ensured this is a brilliant machine

It is, I have one of the first to land in the UK when launched.
I decode/cut Magnum/Yale Platinum/Superior regularly

Calibrate Jaws 01J/02J, 35J/36J