Shoe Repairer Forum

can this be done...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keith, this cutter looks like it will cut alot deeper?? is it interchangable with the power type?
...and is it still adjustable?

Yes on both counts. it cuts deeper, but (sorry to offer my unbiased opinion Keith) this is sometimes annoying! great on the "majority" of gents leather soles, but if your stitching a fine leather sole of 8 iron of thinner its a bit too deep.

As you can see from this picture of the "old" type & the "New" one they are both adjustable. the new one has a smaller circumference collar meaning its less likely to touch the inside edge of the upper at the waist which is an added bonus!

CIMG0398.jpg

One irritation I've had is the screw that holds the blade on is a right hand thread & this is screwed into a left hand thread in the attachment. Mine kept coming lose & is hard to tighten because the threads work against each other. A drop of stud lock resolved this issue.

Would the amount of extra teeth and added depth not generate more heat on the faster rotating machines ?
it does get warm but no more than the old design, although the knurling on the old design made quick removal easier.

the extra teeth & design of the spacer/guide are a step forward from the old one for sure.

Lee

The thickness of most soles used by repairers is around 5-6mm, the depth of the groover is 3mm. I am not aware of any complaints on depth, other than Lee's of course :wink: We have supplied in excess of 400 to the trade worldwide over the last 3 years and it has been very well received :D

The depth is NOT governed by the guide, but is fixed, regardless of collar type. The smaller guide is a much better design and helps prevent damage to uppers.

Keith

If you are confident of the waist joint, you wouldn't stitch anywhere near it :wink: I used to stop around 15-20mm short :D

sorry Keith, your wrong. I can't remember anyone bringing back to me a failed waist, I don't think anyone ever has... Bet you did !!!

I stitch past the waist whenever possible, it looks the boll*cks and is the way your repair should look....... "as if it hasn't been repaired"

How many in the JR competition followed your method ?? non I suspect

If you are confident of the waist joint, you wouldn't stitch anywhere near it :wink: I used to stop around 15-20mm short :D

I have never stitched beyond the waist joint. You are stitching through the skived joint which is the thinnest part of the sole. You can effectivly cut through the sole at its weakest point. I've always stitched 10-15mm short. For those who do stitch through do you groove through aswell?

I have never stitched beyond the waist joint. You are stitching through the skived joint which is the thinnest part of the sole. You can effectivly cut through the sole at its weakest point. I've always stitched 10-15mm short. For those who do stitch through do you groove through aswell?

RLJ, I challenge you to give me a detailed chain of events whilst you are doing a leather half sole on a pair of goodyear welted gents shoes. 8)

Ok a good way is a 50/50 skive not cutting deep into the old sole and not stitching through, a bad way is cutting deep into the old sole causing a weakness in the old sole which is already old and weak possibly and stitching through. I then put a line of tingles across the waist. This method has stood the test of time with us for 4 generations.

At the risk of repeating myself. A good way in my opinion (which will not be changed BTW) is a 50/50 skive not cutting deep into the old sole and not stitching through. Stitching to about 10-15mm above the waist line. I then put a line of tingles across the waist. This method has stood the test of time with us for 4 generations. A bad way is cutting deep into the old sole and stitching through. Or even stitching through at all Is that more simple for you to understand.

Sorry gents but you have gone off the thread of "Moccassins" onto Welted.

But while I'm here.....Groove to within 8/10mm of joint and then stitch into the waist. Gives that extra bit of bondage as the night ladies say.

If you have rivit the waist or god forbid "Blake" the waist then I'm glad you aint doing my shoes.

Now and again I do admit that I have Rivited the waists on some of my own shoes or where asked by customers but then I only use Brass. Iron goes rusty and ruins the leather.