Shoe Repairer Forum

Leather half soles - tack waist or not?

O'Boy here we go again!

No tacks, tacks are tacky.

You shouldn't need to tack a waist, there just nasty... Simple!

although if you look at the price survey (in the downloads) for this year I asked this question & it was pretty much a 50/50 split to those who do & those who don't.

Let the debate begin!

Lee

I've always felt the same, but I have sometimes struggled with larger men's shoes. I can't seem to get half soles big enough. I have come back to shoe repairs after a 17 year break. What size should I order for say a size 11/12 gents? I sorry if this sounds a stupid question but if I don't ask? Maybe someone could educate me on sole sizes?

I tack the waist as that was the way i was taught & more out of habit i suppose. However i did used to use 5 & now 4, 2 either side of the shank as if its a wooden shank the tack can split it & if its a metal shank the tack can bend over & mark the leather. When i get shoes in for leather soles that have been repaired before quite often if they havn't been tacked they have come away between the stitching. I always give 2 coats of glue & sometimes 3 on the waist & yet i still find myself tacking the waist for extra security. I cant seem to bring myself not to, old habits die hard i suppose !

Ah the old belt and braces repairer. :lol: :lol: I bet you stick and rivet your mens heels too. :lol: :lol: Most suppliers will go up to size 17. As for tacking the waists and after long bantering with planet in the chat room and being a fair few years in the trade I gave in. :evil:...........Pains me to say it but even us olduns can still learn. I no longer tack the waists. but I do give a couple of coats on the waists. So far I have had none back lifting. So.. I deduce there is no need to tack. Try it son. You may be surprised. Make sure you bring the waist joint down beyond the bend in the shoe and you will have no problems...Like you say old habits die hard. :wink:

New years resolution, i will endeavour & try not to tack waists. I find myself gluing everything & yes i tack mens & ladies heels where necessary .I remember when i was an apprentice, we used to just tack double tops straight onto small ladies heels. Everything would get a sniff of glue if it was lucky ! maybe i'm overly cautious ? My old boss used to use everything to within an inch of its life ! We had to wait until the sanding belts shredded off & if there was 1 bristle left on the polishing wheel then that was fine.

My Grandad was a shoe repairer too, but retired before I left school. Do the size of leather half soles correspond with the size of the shoe or is there a different scale?

Incidently, I always glue top pieces on. Looks better, avoids embarrassment later, takes very little extra effort, although I accept for a busy while U wait service it may not be practical.