Shoe Repairer Forum

I am in vague negotiations to buy a few key-machines. On the list of machines available is an ECM 200, which, as I understand, is no longer made.

Could someone be so kind and explain to me, what sort of machine that is? With my limited Google abilities, I have not been able to find much on the net.

Chris

The ECM200 is ILCO/Orion's code cutting machine.

It's a substantial bit of kit & ideally requires a PC connected in order to get the best out of it. By this I mean you get alot of useful information on the program disc apart from the ability to cut keys to code - ie. comparison lists of different blank manufacturers is very good.

It will cut car keys to code ( NOT Lazer or Tibbe)

& thousands of 'normal' cylinder keys. The most useful of these I have found is L&F, LAS & similar camlock keys.

If you go for it, make sure you get the manual, software disc & password to upload the disc - VERY important otherwise you'll have to buy new software & it costs a bomb. If you haven't got a computer in the shop, see if the seller will sell his computer aswell that already has the software in it.

Finally - what's it worth? I bought mine in year 2000 & from memory it cost about £4500 + VAT. I'm sure whatever the seller is asking for it, it can't be anywhere near that. If you need any more info, ask someone in the key department of Charles Birch in Leeds.

Good Luck with it!

Ive got one of these just came back from italy needed rebooting (long story)

it is a cracking bit of kit and cuts all keys as mentioned also does bitted keys it was over engineered and i know that they have started making parts for this machine again due to demand fron the continent.(silca own it)

mines is for sale pm me.

carry on!

• 2 years later...
Does anybody know where to find the setting to avoid cutting the key's shoulder when the ECM makes the first cut on keys? I'm struggling with this for quite some time now and can't find it :?

Thanks Roger

re calibrate the machine as mine never does that and has never done that are you lining the key up corectly.

Craig

@thekeyvan

I've re calibrated the machine several times and it does cut keys correctly except it takes the shoulder on the first deep cuts. I think it has something to do with cutter settings because one of the reps "looked" in to it and after that.... There is no mention in the dutch manual about cutter settings :cry:

as Craig says recalilbrate

sometimes the micro switches on the x and y jam/seize and need cleaning a drop of ethanol does the job.

carry on!

Thanks! Checked both switches and both OK..

Still thinking it has something to do with cuttersettings, i can't think of something else. But i'm not sure whats doing what excerpt from y and x settings. I am using a standard widia cutter 80x5x16 for domestic and carkeys.

Current setting:

Widthl:+ 0.01mm

Flat:+ 0.01mm

Angle r:1,l:1

Are these settings ok you think?

Thanks for all help so far! :)

Sounds like your cutter is too wide? i have a different machine and a seperate narrow cutter is needed to cut car keys, alot of car keys have the first cut close to the shoulder, just a guess?

NOPE I USE 80X5X16Z ON ALL KEYS NO PROBLEM

@thekeyvan: What cuttersettings do you use for this cutter? (Menu 2->5)

Sounds like your cutter is too wide? i have a different machine and a seperate narrow cutter is needed to cut car keys, alot of car keys have the first cut close to the shoulder, just a guess?

NOPE I USE 80X5X16Z ON ALL KEYS NO PROBLEM

n standard

width 1.20mm

flat +0.01mm

angle r:40,1:40

do you run on insta code or ecm software

craig

n standard

width 1.20mm

flat +0.01mm

craig

Thanks for your reply! I run both software, it happens with both, even if I use the machine stand alone. For example (Orion) Yal 6, if the first cut is deeper than 3, the machine takes part of the shoulder when making its angle. The cuts are on the right spot but i've to copy the key on an other machine using tipalignment. I'm going to try your angle settings and see what happens.

n standard

width 1.20mm

flat +0.01mm

craig

Thanks for your reply! I run both software, it happens with both, even if I use the machine stand alone. For example (Orion) Yal 6, if the first cut is deeper than 3, the machine takes part of the shoulder when making its angle. The cuts are on the right spot but i've to copy the key on an other machine using tipalignment. I'm going to try your angle settings and see what happens.

let me know if that works for u

craig

• 10 years later...
  • 10 months later...
On 8/3/2008 at 6:46 PM, hibsjo(SCO) said:

Ive got one of these just came back from italy needed rebooting (long story)

it is a cracking bit of kit and cuts all keys as mentioned also does bitted keys it was over engineered and i know that they have started making parts for this machine again due to demand fron the continent.(silca own it)

mines is for sale pm me.

carry on!

I know this was posted many years ago, but is this machine still up for sale?

• 3 months later...