Shoe Repairer Forum

Rw4plus not detecting transponder issue

I am testing the central locking buttons before changing the battery in car key fobs but when I put the key on/in and around the cross hole on the rw4plus to test the chip loads of times it says transponder not detected. This happens on Honda, VW and a few other makes. What could be wrong and what can I do to fix the issue? Thanks 

On 12/1/2023 at 6:04 PM, rapidlocks said:

the frequency tester on the kdx2 is very good , i dont believe rw4 tests frequency its just for transponders , but kdx2 does have a decent frequency tester

I am testing the frequency on xhorse frequency tester. The rw4plus is used to check the chip is working BUT it doesn't always register the chip when I am checking it out. That is what I meant to say rapidlocks. 

Edited by cobblers.keys
Add text

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best device to use for detecting transponder chip in shop? This rw4+ is not detecting transponder chips to many times for some reason so I can't check for transponder (on rw4plus) and frequency on xhorse frequency tester properly when the rw4plus says transponder not detected even though the key is good in the customers car so 1 or 2 don't have battery changed they say ''just in case it immobilizes the car''

personally id say rw4 plus is probably the best device for detecting transponders , what make model and year is it not detecting for you ?

if positioning is correct in the slot , then it can read most transponders .

it may help if you can say on what make model and year of vehicle you are having issues reading 

have you tried updating it with latest update , failing that it may be the reader/ariel failing in the unit and need a part or wiring issue inside that needs repairing.

have a chat to nikki at nwkeys im sure she can advise on whats wrong

keydiy kdx2 is a good handheld for chip id as a back up , but id get your rw4+ looked at and repaired if broken

• 3 months later...

Yes if both are up to date with the latest firmware.

The RW4 is a bugger to update you think you have done it but you haven't. The firmware will say it is the latest version but it is not fully updated.

It will take about 15 minutes when fully updating.

Use the Silca remote service using the usb cable supplied. When it says turn off machine disconnect cable as well. Turn on wait 30 seconds and connect usb cable and it should then go through with a full update.

Just had to do this again with a second hand machine i bought from facebook market place.