Shoe Repairer Forum

Good with mechanical things & uPVC locks

Anybody good with mechanical things? I am trying to find the best way to detect the locked or unlocked state of a multi point uPVC door lock (or the euro cylinder itself). Like a uPVC version of Chubb 3G114E. Obviously a microswitch is probably the answer - but where to place it and how?

Are you wanting to detect the handle up movement only or the physical locking of the cylinder? It would depend a lot on the mechanism, if the key throws the bolt you could have a switch on the bolt keep but anything else would need a switch in the gearbox itself. If you only wanted to detect the handle up movement then you could possibly place a switch somewhere along the strip.

My question would be WHY. What are you trying to achieve, how will it be powered ? Will it fit all gearboxes in all backsets ?.

Seems a strange thing to be doing, you could always replace the mechanism with a self closing one without the need for switches and indicators.

Hi Graham - it's no stranger than the Chubb 3G114E and the use case is exactly the same - being able to check from either an alarm panel or a simple 9v battery powered LED the locked/unlocked state of a set of uPVC doors. How many times do you check yours at night before being reassured they are in fact, locked? You can't tell just from looking at them.

Not Mains must be 12 or 24V and it is possible to run cable through the channel on a UPVc door I do it every week, I also have a drill to go front to back on composite and wooden doors and I have never seen a chubb lock motorised- I have seen them with a shunt switch in them to activate the alarm in which case it has no power in it just a make/break connection by a micro switch. Taylor Locks make motorised locks and even a motorised spindle, See the last LASM for a motorised cylinder.

You can also run a cable around the eurogroove and then cap it with a eurogroove capping running the cable behind the MPL -

When I said mains I meant not a 9v battery as mentioned.

Hi Graham. The 9v battery was simply an example I wouldn't get hung up on it. If I was able to fit a microswitch somewhere inside the keep or mech, I could make a very simple circuit to light an LED using a 9V battery. That was all I meant.  I think you'd be able to do the same thing with the Chubb mortice lock. I see no reason why you couldn't wire it up to a custom circuit instead of an alarm panel.

• 2 years later...

Old post but I’ve done exactly this.

I too wanted to know if the UPVC door was shut and locked, not just closed or handle up. It’s all about knowing if the door is secure which is a completely valid requirement.

one door was easy - the bolt moves across  when you lock it, so mounted a micro switch in the frame connected to a modified zigbee xiaomi aqara door sensor.

Another door was not so easy.  In the end I did it by drilling a small hole in the sliding part of the mechanism that moves when It locks, then mounting (interference fit + glue) a 90degree bent nail that moves towards the frame.

then a similar micro switch in the frame again soldered to a modified xiaomi aqara to detect the nail movement.  Tips for anyone trying to repeat this:

- mechanical and electronic skills required!

- get the door mechanical bits super reliable before you try mounting the micro switch.

- micro Jst connector pairs are cheap on eBay and a great way to keep all the soldering on the workbench.

-control your swarf when drilling e.g. with masking tape. don’t let it fall into the lock mechanism

-take the opportunity to regrease your lock

have fun!

• 2 weeks later...