Shoe Repairer Forum

bench last and blake (insole) stitcher

Guest brentlee

Guest brentlee

do any of you know where one can buy the old bench repair lasts. the one i am looking for was made by esto i think. it had a round base that bolted to the bench with three bolts. a round pin about 12inches long sat into the base and this pin had a squared off flat top that went into the last. the last was then able to spin around or you could lock it with a bolt. there were a couple of different height pins and i think about 6 full lasts that were universal (not left or right)

the other question is easier. of those of you who have insole stitchers, what brand and model do you have and what is the gap between top of horn and foot with the foot at highest point. i am looking for a fairly big gap but dont know what brand would suit.

cheers

brett

we have these lasts normally second hand with both length pins, perhaps i could drop in and see you, of course you would have to pay the costs!!! im not sure where you will get them nearer to you though.

the most common insole stitchers here are DN76 & 2000, Geneva followed by Fimac and Besser. they are more or less all the same clearance but i dont know the measurement off hand, perhaps someone in a shop will measure for you and answer later? at a guess i would say 2 inches (they are stepped and will go higher if you rest the foot on something then press the pedal again. why do you need the big gap? the problem you will have will be stitching with the foot in the high position as it needs room to go up between each stitch

we have these lasts normally second hand with both length pins, perhaps i could drop in and see you, of course you would have to pay the costs!!! im not sure where you will get them nearer to you though.

the most common insole stitchers here are DN76 & 2000, Geneva followed by Fimac and Besser. they are more or less all the same clearance but i dont know the measurement off hand, perhaps someone in a shop will measure for you and answer later? at a guess i would say 2 inches (they are stepped and will go higher if you rest the foot on something then press the pedal again. why do you need the big gap? the problem you will have will be stitching with the foot in the high position as it needs room to go up between each stitch

Also, if your stitching something so thick the loop does not have enough room to go through it's proper function, as most of the loop is in the job itself. If that makes sence :oops:

Why do you need the gap so big :?

Probably Kickers have arrived over there :wink:

You can get the foot to go higher on the Insole stitchers just by phyiscally pushing it up with the palm of your hand to its maximum.

Yeah but you won't get it to stitch properly Hugh :) As the foot will not be able to lift to move the job along, and the loop will keep wrapping around the needle cus there ain't enough room for it to function properly :wink:

Although if there is a deep enough groove, and you need to lift it to get started that would be ok. But I've never needed to do this even with Kickers :shock:

Ah, are you not assuming that the sole Unit is so thick that the foot does not have room to lift?

There are many styles of Kickers from the Overland Corp and many will go onto and be stitched by the Fimac etc.

There will of course be the odd pair that just will not feed around. These I found these to be the imitations, the rip-offs.

Tis possible to alter the feed foot by shortening it, if you have a spare one that is.

Very rare did I ever stitch them buggers though, most of the time I used Shoe Goo and similiar products, once stuck alwys stuck.

How's the new shop in Cannock doing?

Staffordshire Mmmmm best county in the UK without a doubt.

3 of the best repairers in the UK & Europe hail from those parts, 4 if I include you, and you are getting there. The ability and determination is there.

Any dealings with the BDF in Cannock?

I ain't got a new shop in Cannock Hugh :!:

The shop I was having has fallen by the wayside.......long story :evil:

But it wasn't mean't to be, and a better place has come my way :D

I'll let you know when I get it, should be very soon...I hope.

Whos the BDF I thought it was the Birth Defect Foundation :shock:

Guest brentlee

i need a bench last as i have sold my shop. the one i had was very worn and the lasts would hang rather low and angled. Peter, do you have any at the moment with all the lasts and god forbid what would it cost to get one shipped to brisbane. None of the suppliers have been able to chase one up for over 12 months.

on the blake stitcher i am needing to stitch around the soles on joggers with thick eva type midsoles. I do some work for some guys that take the soles off and put their own sole on and then want them stitched. I was stitching them on a fimac but i need to find new machine as i no longer have access to the fimac since shop sale. So i thought i would see if any of you knew of a machine with equal or better clearance.

cheers

brett

i made a comment along these lines a while back regarding the tsitching of kickers.

though i can't actually remember what the insole stitcher was that we used at timpson at the time, we found that if we stitched kickers normally they never seemed to pick up but if we did it backwards it was near perfect. :shock: