Shoe Repairer Forum

Sublimation

ANDY

says 37% cotton, 63% polyester on the ticket. is that a good or bad thing?
if you are using sub die through a inkjet printer instead of using toner on a oki system your best results will come from white 100% polyester t shirts the more cotton in the mix the poorer the clarity of the print will be. If you want to do coloured t shirts and cotton ones you would be better using a oki laser printer with special paper its the only way to get a good finish on a colour t shirt even black.

Craig

Guest WOODY
I did it for 50 seconds on 200 degrees with light pressure as per wall chart.

hi, we have just invested in a heat press and other bits and pieces for dye sub but dont have any good info for the heat settings, times & pressure. could anyone please supply me with these.

we are starting off with basics- mugs, coasters, mouse mats probably will expand range later when we see how things go.

any help on this would be very much appreciated.

woody.

most papers vary in times but you should have a chart on the pack of paper you got.

i do most items at 200 degrees 400 farenheight

mugs 130 secs with burn proof paper at medium pressure

ceramic coasters upside down high pressure for 5 minutes

mdf coasters medium pressure 120 seconds

mouse mats 90 seconds

aluminium products 180 seconds high pressure

fibreglass products 200 seconds light pressure

Guest WOODY
most papers vary in times but you should have a chart on the pack of paper you got.

i do most items at 200 degrees 400 farenheight

thanks for the info craig,

the paper i bought came in clear plastic so unfortunately no chart on the pack.

the instructions that came with the heat press isnt very clear as it says for mugs 180 deg for 15 seconds, the image came out very faint.

i'll give your settings a go and see what happens.

thaks again, woody.

subli-nation.co.uk also do a chart with temperatures and times. you have to join the forum there as a member to access it though. (it's free)

http://www.subli-nation.co.uk/members/p ... ctions.htm

that's a good chart from xpres although i found summat for concern on it which is that it tells you to immediately cool the ceramic money boxes and mugs in water when transferring is finished.

they should really be more specific and state that it's advisable to cool in LUKEWARM or water as cold water is liable to cause cracking due to the sudden temperature difference.

rick.

just for your information purplemonkey.com is back on line for bulk sub ink purchases but they have doubled their prices nearly. i am now using http://www.proprint.co.uk/dye_sublimation_ink.htm they have sensible prices half the price of most suppliers i just got another 3 250ml bottles for just over the price of 1 bottle elsewhere.

Craig

• 1 month later...
Guest WOODY

can anyone advise how to price items up for sublimation mugs etc, for example if customer comes in wanting one image on a mouse mat, then another customer requires several images on one mat , do you charge seperately or do you have set price and stick to that????? i spent ages scanning and cleaning it up and for the same price?

• 3 weeks later...
can anyone advise how to price items up for sublimation mugs etc, for example if customer comes in wanting one image on a mouse mat, then another customer requires several images on one mat , do you charge seperately or do you have set price and stick to that????? i spent ages scanning and cleaning it up and for the same price?

All prices are flexible :) We only use the standard price if the work is a straightforward scan in and print (perhaps a bit of quick cropping/colour adjustment). If there's a bit of work involved, I'd charge a set up fee of about £10-15 depending on how long I thought it would take. if they aren't happy to pay it I don't care as I don't want to be spending ages on stuff for free. I've spent ages scanning loads of photos in before, cropping them, then working out where they can all go and it's not something I'm keen to do for nowt again.