Shoe Repairer Forum

Sublimation

ANDY

I have spent the last few days messing about with my new sublimation package that I ordered at Trophex. Very pleased with results so far and yesterday I filled up my front window with the samples. I got a swing heat press and mug press, plus a range of products. any tips or tricks would be greatly received along with good contacts for inks, consumables etc.

why is it when you know something is really hot, you just have to touch it to see how hot? :smt102

Get some oven gloves!

Make sure you use the printer regularly. The inks can dry up and it can be a bugger to get the heads clean again You can use loads of ink and spend ages head cleaning if you let it go for too long, although this may be the bulk ink feeder system only, I'm not sure.

It's an impressive technique, you can produce some great goods with it.

one tip on mugs is put the mug in the press for about 10 - 15 seconds then remove before sticking the printed sheet on and burn proof paper. that way when you put it in the press for the desired time acording to what paper you are using the the mug wont cool the temperature down in the press. i do the same with trophy plates in the flat press. and always put a sheet of burn proof paper round your mug on top off sub paper to stop un printed bits of the mug burning ie a white mug sometimes goe off white nearly yellow without it. i think i only pay about £15 for 500 sheets.

did you buy a teflon sheet to put on the bottom of the flat heat press because if you have one on the bottom and you are putting a t shirt in the press it slides about easy on the teflon for lining up straight rather than sticking to the gell mat at the bottom.

if you have a varga saw or similar for cutting your own trophy plates novachrome.com have 12" x 24" grey coated trophy plate sheets ready for sub printing on special only 50p a sheet just had 50 sheets delivered today.

pm me if you have any specific questions as i do loads of sub printing

Craig

anyone on here got any idea of the temperature and time for those little pvc license plates from subli-nation?

i've just ruined my first attempt :lol:

don't wanna ruin another :!:

cheers, rick.

200c or 400f press even pressure not to hard for 70 seconds with teflon sheet on top or 60 seconds with no teflon sheet. if no teflon sheet you may find small items will stick to the top off the press when you release.

Craig

Guest Iain Cheall

Now I have got the shop up and running I am going to go into Dye Sub, I know who andy got his system off but what about the rest of you where did you get yours from.

cheers in advance

Now I have got the shop up and running I am going to go into Dye Sub, I know who andy got his system off but what about the rest of you where did you get yours from.

cheers in advance

Got all my gear from novachrome, the after sales service is ok but they could do better. http://www.novachrome.co.uk/

The Printwear & Promotion trade show is on from next Sunday @ the NEC, really worth a visit if u fancy getting a sublimation set-up http://www.printwearandpromotion.co.uk/

neil

subli-nation.co.uk are much better iain and their postal charges aren't stupid like nova chromes'. :twisted: :evil:

gits charged me £8.50 postage for 100 leaflets :!:

we told 'em they won't be getting any more business off us :twisted:

subli-nation have live online help too for any problems or queries, their service is cracking, never let me down yet :D

subli-nation.co.uk are much better iain and their postal charges aren't stupid like nova chromes'. :twisted: :evil:

gits charged me £8.50 postage for 100 leaflets :!:

we told 'em they won't be getting any more business off us :twisted:

subli-nation have live online help too for any problems or queries, their service is cracking, never let me down yet :D

£8.50 :shock: They aren't shy!

Unfortunately subli-nation weren't on the go when I first started out :( but I keep hearing good reports on them, probably give them a try in the very near future.

Novachrome seem to only focus on selling you the start up machinery then it's a case of "Get on with it" :(

£8.50 :shock: :shock:

• 2 weeks later...
sold my first batch of t-shirts today, they have a slight yellowing after pressing. is this normal and does this come out? :smt102

you shouldnt get a yellow mark as that is actualy starting to burn the fabric you cold use a sheet of burn proof paper between the press and transfer paper to stop this i always use this on mugs but not much on t shirts. it is available from subli-nation.

Craig

sold my first batch of t-shirts today, they have a slight yellowing after pressing. is this normal and does this come out? :smt102

you shouldnt get a yellow mark as that is actualy starting to burn the fabric you cold use a sheet of burn proof paper between the press and transfer paper to stop this i always use this on mugs but not much on t shirts. it is available from subli-nation.

Craig

If you are using the correct time & temp for the garments then you won't be burning them, that's unless your press is knacked.

As for burn proof (silicon) paper, you should always be using this to make sure whatever your pressing is well protected and importantly the press as well, the last thing you want is some ink getting onto your platen then dumped on your next job :?

I did it for 50 seconds on 200 degrees with light pressure as per wall chart. with the silicon paper above and below garment. still a yellow tinge this morning on the garments :twisted: brand new heat press too. :smt100

50 seconds and 200 degreees sounds ok if it is 100% polyester try the next one at about 40 to 45 seconds. if it has a cotton mix hopefully no more than 30% cotton reduce the temp slightly.

Craig