Shoe Repairer Forum

talking about shoes and leathers

Guest Marcell

Guest Marcell

Corlas,

As a shoerepairer: may I know your opinion about bespoe shoes? Whoch one was the oldest what you repaired? What do you experience about their durability?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hola Marcell, you know I don't make bespoke shoes. I make orthopedic ones, is so different.

But not so so different :D

My tecnic opinion in bespoke shoes is not so much in repair.

But their durability can be for ever when you take care your shoes.

The handicup is that are so rigids at first, this is a problem in orthopedy, but is also the solution.

In a normal feet, a bespoke shoes can be a great love :wink:

And finishing, I think that bespoke shoes must be reparated by the author ever is possible.

Health! :D

Well done Corlas, your translations are getting much better.

The stiffeners that failed in your customers sports shoes must have been

on Shoes that were marketed for the general public as "Trainers".

Porpose made running shoes / football boots would have stiffeners that would outperform any other substance.

There are the top German Leather producers in the world.

There are the top German Sports shoe producers in the world.

Do the German sports shoe producers use Leather? NO. not since early 1990s when they discovered a better product.

That product is not so easily obtainable or usable as Leather, that is why small individual shoe makers still use Leather.

Mainly they do not have the technology or expertise in using the man made product.

That does not say that your shoes are not as good as the best.

Old Hugh proberb says " Good, better, best, never let it rest until your good is better and your better best."

I have definately improved a lot compared to when I was at my best. :lol:

Yes, but all this begin in consume time.

I want say that we are be used to this culture.

The sports mans, sure have to buy one pair all the six month? one year? not more.

Bespoke, ortopedic and handmade shoes is anhother dimension.

Is an interactive energy between the author and the person who use it.

The author put his love in and the user too. :wink:

Naturaly, I never speak about series footwear, this is for the factorys and designers etc...

Do the German sports shoe producers use Leather? NO. not since early 1990s when they discovered a better product.

Don't forget that these people need to fabrik a lot. Not by hand.

Well done Corlas, your translations are getting much better.

May be, but I continued understanding only a few :roll:

I think if you use a shoe for 2-3 months, the counter and toe (?) materials doesn't really matter, but I never saw a 25 years old sport-shoe.

On certain sports shoes the heel counter is of primary importance, on others the toe stiffening is the most important.

25 year old sports shoes are being sold for quite high prices on ebay.

Most of todays styles by Adidas are copies of 25 year old ones.

Retro styling is the current fashion.

Hola to all,

Hugh, have you seen the Marcell videos?

Because.., I thing is a different discursion, I understood Marcell is a handmade shoemaker, (bespoke), and Hugh, you are talking about footwear.

Specially I like Adidas footwear design, you know it :wink: For this reason was my special own design in my first "bambas" (Sport shoes). I did for my self, naturally with orthopedics and leather stiffeners.

I put the photo, in old and reparated version :lol: I've not another.

img0873yd9.jpg

The soles on those Retail sports shoes were Stan Smith Tennis soles that were used for another style as well as Stan Smiths. They have had an extra layer added to the original unit and are now not so flexible.

Why the extra heel on top of a sole that is already on the top of the original?

Yes I have seen the Marcell Video, very good demonstation and unusual technique.Leather is a bit on the fleshy side though. Top quality Leather can be quite difficult to work with by hand so I guess you have to choose one suitable for the job.

Looking forward to seeing more.

The soles on those Retail sports shoes were Stan Smith Tennis soles that were used for another style as well as Stan Smiths. They have had an extra layer added to the original unit and are now not so flexible.

Hola Hugh, Idon't understand so mutch, in this work, I copied the adidas design and made in my style, put colours and made it for orthopedic use.

This I understand more less...:oops:

And waiting for more videos of Marcell!

Guest Marcell

There are many types of leather for handmade shoes. Some of them are very hard and thick for pegged shoes (5-6 mm), some are softer for sewn (5,5 mm), and some of them are not for sole, but specially for handcraft. These leathers are not rolled, during the tanning process - so thatswhy it is fleshy. It doesn't mean that its not the top quality - it is. I just use the best quality leathers.

Marcell....... wonderful! That's the way to do it!

I enjoyed every minute of the video!

Now i just miss video NR 5 and 6..... :D

5. bottom Finish, edge finish, and a shine ....

6. how do you promote and sell the shoes?

I'm impressed. This looks a lot like Laszlo Vass kind of work....

They are made the same way.....

Ever herd of Vass?

Thank you.

Very good video Marcell and it was like going back in time to when we made our own threads just like you did. Have not seen that done in the UK for 40 years.

Nice to see the use of Glass, I use glass on wood but not on Leather as it moves and can be dangerous unlees you are very skilled with the glass.

Just like Peter I look forward to the finishing part.

Once these videos are complete they would make a very good archive record for the future.

Guest Marcell
Marcell....... wonderful! That's the way to do it!

I enjoyed every minute of the video!

I'm impressed. This looks a lot like Laszlo Vass kind of work....

They are made the same way.....

Ever herd of Vass?

Thank you.

Thank you! I am also Hungarian, just like Vass, therefore we have the same roots: ancient Hungarian shoemaking traditions - that's why our methods and tools are very similar. But we have good qualities: Vass is a very good businessman, and thanks to him, many Hungarian shoemakers could continue their work (which, considering the happenings in the past decades of Hungary, quite an achievement), whilst I make the shoes with my own hands, with very limited help, well at least yet.

Guest Marcell

"It has occurred to me while watching, that a pair of these shoes will have a high retail price, but I wonder how high?"

Sorry, I forgot to answer. One pair made on size starts at 500 euro at the moment, bespoke shoes are from 6-700. I know it sounds a bit expensive, but - as you could see, they are made by hand, from the finest materials.

One pair made on size starts at 500 euro at the moment, bespoke shoes are from 6-700. I know it sounds a bit expensive, but - as you could see, they are made by hand, from the finest materials.

Hola Marcell, I think that is not expensive, is so cheap for this work.

Hola Marcell, something about prices...

The Social Sanity in Spain pays 420€ for a simple man pair of orthopedic shoes. This is which pay the goberment, and then we can up this price. The user becames 420€ and the rest he/she put of his pocket.

This prices, the shoemakers are not agree because are the same in 6 years, and we thing is few for this work.

Is really that ortopedic shoes give more problems, but is really too that are not bespoke, and the manufacturing is in another way. (For example, almost nobody sticks the sole here. Only I and a few more, and we stick by machine, not handly.

For a shoes like you seen before and in my forum, (the "sport" orthopedic shoes), I became 750€, and my "mestre" says me silly, he became 800-1000€.

Orthopedic shoes are different, and the people needs it, and normaly they have not a lot of money. And had more problems, is true.

But bespoke is a luxux, and must be paied like it.

In Barcelona is not tradition in bespoke. There is an Argentina man (I was working with him), (Norman Vilalta), that came a few years ago from Florencia and stay in Barcelona making bespoke shoes. Tree years ago, the price of one pair began in 1700€.(If aligator, 3000€)

My personal opinion is that a bespoke pair quality materials, quality worked, quality hand sticking, can't cost less than 1000 €. And thinking in not expensive price. Just price. :wink: