Shoe Repairer Forum

Umarq Universal 350 Issue

I am mystified by an issue with my Uni-350.

I am engraving a brass plaque using a 0.3 cutter and clearing toolpath 200mm x 150mm landscape.  Using Nose cone.  Tried centre jig and flatbed with the same result.

Each time we engrave about two thirds of the way through the engraving becomes shallower and then doesn't touch the surface.  

The material is even in thickness.  I have check the level of the machine, jig and the arm.  I can't understand the issue.  Can anyone shed any light?   

At the moment the only workaround I have is to engrave it in stages :-k

Edited by Simes
addition info

1 hour ago, Simes said:

I am mystified by an issue with my Uni-350.

I am engraving a brass plaque using a 0.3 cutter and clearing toolpath 200mm x 150mm landscape.  Using Nose cone.  Tried centre jig and flatbed with the same result.

Each time we engrave about two thirds of the way through the engraving becomes shallower and then doesn't touch the surface.  

The material is even in thickness.  I have check the level of the machine, jig and the arm.  I can't understand the issue.  Can anyone shed any light?   

At the moment the only workaround I have is to engrave it in stages :-k

Is the cutter secured in tightly, Is the holder unscrewing slightly? Make sure its really tight. What depth setting are you using? Try increasing the depth setting and the retract setting 

36 minutes ago, Gray said:

Is the cutter secured in tightly, Is the holder unscrewing slightly? Make sure its really tight. What depth setting are you using? Try increasing the depth setting and the retract setting 

Thanks.  yes everything is tight.  Cleaned of swarf.  Was using 20 clicks on nose cone.  Increased to 24 and seemed ok this last time.  Only difference except slight extra clicks on nose cone was not being lazy and bolted down flatbed (I noticed some movement on it before it was bolted down).  This time it seems to have worked ok.  However, that doesn't explain why it was giving me trouble on the centre jigs!  Puzzling?

Here are the settings:

Umarq screenshot.png

When you set your Z position it will only engrave .50mm. If the plate is not level it will miss bits. You need to change the depth setting to say 1.5mm and increase the retract to say 5mm. Click on the padlock and change them.

Well Done Gray, this is the correct answer,

I would just like to add if you are turning the nose cone 24 clicks the cutter will end up going through the plate,

when setting the z drop the nose cone onto surface first , then drop cutter onto surface, lock the cutter, turn nose cone about 6 clicks anti clockwise

depending on material, if not deep enough turn a few more clicks

6 hours ago, Gray said:

When you set your Z position it will only engrave .50mm. If the plate is not level it will miss bits. You need to change the depth setting to say 1.5mm and increase the retract to say 5mm. Click on the padlock and change them.

Thanks Mate.  Not sure how it’s wrong?  I don’t believe we have ever adjusted those settings?  Will do that tomorrow.

4 hours ago, U-Marq said:

I would just like to add if you are turning the nose cone 24 clicks the cutter will end up going through the plate,

when setting the z drop the nose cone onto surface first , then drop cutter onto surface, lock the cutter, turn nose cone about 6 clicks anti clockwise

Thanks.  The procedure above is what I do.  Six clicks though is nowhere near deep enough for paint infill when on my machine.  But maybe if I apply Grays settings it will be!  But I started with 20 clicks and it wasn’t deep enough.  24 clicks and it hasn’t gone through the material and is about the perfect depth for paint infill.  Any less and it’s too shallow.  I’ll look at the settings again tomorrow.

When you've dropped the nose cone to the material and put the cutter in, make sure the cutter tip is touching the material before you tighten the grub screw on the collar. I've done this before and not realised the cutter had caught up and wasn't touching the material so when I turned 8-10 clicks on the nose cone it was nowhere near the material.

I never use more than 10 clicks on the nose cone.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

When you've dropped the nose cone to the material and put the cutter in, make sure the cutter tip is touching the material before you tighten the grub screw on the collar. I've done this before and not realised the cutter had caught up and wasn't touching the material so when I turned 8-10 clicks on the nose cone it was nowhere near the material.

I never use more than 10 clicks on the nose cone.

Thanks Michael, yes we are aware of that issue and do as you say.  Will experiment again and see what we can sort out.

16 hours ago, U-Marq said:

I had a good teacher. :-D

On 8/6/2024 at 4:31 PM, Gray said:

Thanks Gray,  

I used those settings and the 6 clicks anticlockwise as Mark suggested and all seems well.

Image (6).jpg