Shoe Repairer Forum

Cutting Rim Mortice Keys

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice if possible, I'm not a key cutting professional or anything like that.

Basically I refurbish/restore mortice and rim locks (Georgian, Viccy, Edwardian, 1920s, etc), up until recently I had a local guy who I could drop off the locks needing mortice keys and he'd do them for me. Unfortunately (for me) he's no longer about, I've tried a few local Companies and none of them are interested in doing them, so I need to do them myself. I've been doing them by hand (Dremel, saws & files) but it's not a long term solution.  

I've been looking about and a used Silca Lancer seems to be a quality machine.

I appreciate there's probably no easy answers, would a machine like that make my life easier? I'm not copying keys, just cutting new ones from blanks, I'm reasonably competent. 

Thanks in advance. 

Even better is a blade vectis or blade super. Best machine ever made for mortice keys. I have 3 (1 in bits for spares). I have made thousands of keys to fit locks on mine over the last 40 years. I also have a lancer plus but it is much more difficult to control, only use mine for duplicating double bit safe keys.

Silca lancer is a great machine for copying. But as control hand moves 360 it on will be very difficult for you to control if not copying. 

If you are cutting a blank with no original consider a machine with two control knobs one for x and y axis. 

Like the Mancuna machine

18 hours ago, Auto Key Wizard said:

Silca Lancer is a speedy machine for duplication, I use one.

To produce a key for a lock then the Jakey Mark II will give much more control for face and ward cutting

13 hours ago, Peaky said:

Good luck finding a vectis.

5 hours ago, mathews said:

Silca lancer is a great machine for copying. But as control hand moves 360 it on will be very difficult for you to control if not copying. 

If you are cutting a blank with no original consider a machine with two control knobs one for x and y axis. 

Like the Mancuna machine

Thanks for the tips, finding info on the internet isn't easy.

I'll look for a simpler machine like a Vectis or a Mancuna.

Not sure what part of country you’re in but I’m in north wales ,have 2 blade supers ,2 lancers ,super intense and mancuna here you’re more than welcome to come and t have a play before you buy one ,but as others have said the lancers wouldn’t be my 1st choice when cutting key to locks , an old safe engineer I knew cut all his safe keys on an old mancuna perfectly 

1 hour ago, autolock said:

Not sure what part of country you’re in but I’m in north wales ,have 2 blade supers ,2 lancers ,super intense and mancuna here you’re more than welcome to come and t have a play before you buy one ,but as others have said the lancers wouldn’t be my 1st choice when cutting key to locks , an old safe engineer I knew cut all his safe keys on an old mancuna perfectly 

Thanks, I'm a fair distance away but I might come back to you if I can't get anything more local. 

On 3/11/2023 at 7:47 PM, Paulie said:

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice if possible, I'm not a key cutting professional or anything like that.

Basically I refurbish/restore mortice and rim locks (Georgian, Viccy, Edwardian, 1920s, etc), up until recently I had a local guy who I could drop off the locks needing mortice keys and he'd do them for me. Unfortunately (for me) he's no longer about, I've tried a few local Companies and none of them are interested in doing them, so I need to do them myself. I've been doing them by hand (Dremel, saws & files) but it's not a long term solution.  

I appreciate there's probably no easy answers, would a machine like that make my life easier? I'm not copying keys, just cutting new ones from blanks, I'm reasonably competent. 

Thanks in advance. 

Where abouts are you?

On 3/11/2023 at 7:47 PM, Paulie said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance. 

There are quite a lot of pre-cut Rim keys you can pick off the shelf and if there is not one suitable then get the closest to what you need and most of the cutting has been done for you rather than starting with a Rim Blank Key

8 hours ago, Fast Fix Elgin said:

There are quite a lot of pre-cut Rim keys you can pick off the shelf and if there is not one suitable then get the closest to what you need and most of the cutting has been done for you rather than starting with a Rim Blank Key

Thanks, I have tried a couple before but they never seem to work. I have tried to get an account with some of the trade sellers, but they won't deal with me.