Shoe Repairer Forum

Would it be possible to explain why a 2 pin cylinder would be used on a single occupancy domestic dwelling? Standard UAP kite marked cylinder (6 pin outer) and 2 pins securing the inside. 

Is it a fire thing? Multiple occupancy being able to exit with their K/D keys?

Is there a reference for this style of cylinder? 

Thanks in advance,

Sid

I've never seen a two pin cylinder for a domestic dwelling. If anything, I'd imagine the cost of 4 little pins is insignificant, probably the time required to assemble them is more significant if they're under the pressure of demand but I don't see why the end consumer shouldn't get what they pay for either. The Chinese are pros at making insecure cheap shitty cylinders and even they still populate all the pin chambers in my experience. There must be some practical reason why someone pinned it with 2 internal pins, could very well be the laziest attempt at allowing different keys that's not exactly master keying.

downgrading the internal sides security is a saving in production costs for both parts and labour , small saving per cylinder but a huge cost saving in mass production.

it wont be down to fire regs etc , if a single point of entry dwelling then it shouldnt be on the door in the first place , as not a turn .

dont quote me on this but i believe this was once a specific product for specific group of large volume customers to reduce there costs , the savings in parts labour and shipping weight in mass production would be significant especially in the numbers they produce these and as the internal side is not at risk it doesnt affect a cylinders protection if fitted correctly.

If people are so concerned about drastic cost saving measures that they're literally removing pins from a cylinder, maybe they should not be maintaining the building? Don't take on the responsibility of maintaining facilities you can't afford. Give it up, find a new position, and let someone else take over. A few people will be up in arms about this because they think it'll be fine, they're confident, and nobody will notice because they're a bodge king; how about stop being obstinate and learn when to stop?

This would be an early warning sign in my eyes. First, making alterations to locks that many would argue could compromise the security of the place, what other insane cost saving measures have been done by the building owners that haven't been noticed yet? Do they turn the fire alarm system off at night to save a few pennies? Cut corners on repairs and building integrity? Use the wrong and inadequate materials to build things? Do whatever you want in your own place but when you start doing things that other people must live with when they have to trust you to provide basic functions then you're begging to be brought into disrepute. I'm pre-emptively pissed off about this yes, the truth is we don't know the real reason the lock has 2 pins in it, a cost saving measure should not be an acceptable thing to do.

this is a guess , knowing manufacturers , not gospel , i suspect for the real reason you would need to ask the manufacturer direct .

with car keys when doing a new remote you will notice that many of these are now far lighter than in the past , the only concievable reason is to reduce freight costs and manufacture costs as not as strong as in the past , you look at vauxhall , hyundai , kia and vag group flip keys all suffering common failures with flip unit breaking as cheap metal , great for the repair guys.

in an ideal world you would expect top quality and everything perfect , manufaturer makes their margin , wholesaler makes theres and tradesmen make theres and customer get top notch product and top service from a skilled tradesman , though this isnt an ideal world , customer wants cheaper and cheaper , trades want cheaper and cheaper with many bypassing wholesalers and going to china direct to save a bit more , none of which is ideal and the reason the unskilled cheap boys are so busy across the industry.

this is more a society issue than any individual in the chain and spans across the various trades as everybody wants cheaper and cheaper , the only winner is china .

with regards cylinders , this isnt limited to 1 manufacturer , alot downgrade their security measures on the internal side if seperate internal and external , the governing bodies allow this the standards testing allows this , as its deemed overkill for an internal side of a cylinder that no thief will attack , so as long as fitted properly with internal side and external side correct the cylinder still gives the protection it should give , so deemed by the powers that be to be acceptable.

its not like fire systems and life threatening regs , its a lock that still does its job fully if fitted correctly and if fitted to a door its designed to be fitted to .

but i would love to see high standards back in all areas of the supply chain , sadly i doubt i will see this before i retire

reading this , i was just thinking maybe they were master keyed or keyed alike . 

If the locksmith who fitted these wanted to make their life easy, just take the pins out ! 

Not correct practice in any way but this would not be the 1st time this has happened (Maybe) 

Regards Tony 

Email Tony.Wilkin@jactools.co.uk                                                                                                                       

JAC Tools (Aylesbury Ltd) Unit 5, March Place, Gatehouse Way , Aylesbury, HP19 8UG

t:   01296 393936                                 m:   07985 606103

w:  www.jactools.co.uk                 e:   store@jactools.co.uk                      FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA:  Facebook

image.png

Cheers for the detailed replies. It’s not been stripped of pins, it’s literally only two pin chambers on the internal side. BS kitemarked cylinder that you can open with a screwdriver from the inside. I’m changing the locks for him as I wouldn’t be happy with this set up. Hopefully I’ll see some incorrectly fitted 40/40 cylinders. Make me look great at picking :)