Doc Martins

I'm sorry to have to raise this topic again, but I need some help.  I have seen comments in the past to the effect of:  "If you can't repair Doc Martins, you are in the wrong job!" Which is not that helpful.

I take on board the idea that some use superglue as a primer.  I haven't done that yet, mainly because that hasn't been the traditional method and therefore, without dismissing that idea, I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have used prepared surface and used Renia (Yellow) wait for 5 minutes and then add Bostick 50/50.  Reactivate and apply soles. However, it doesn't seem to be very successful.  I have tried the same primer with 6092 and that also seems less than reliable.  What am I doing wrong?  It only seems to be Doc Martins that I struggle with.  Am I just using the wrong glue or do I need to change my preparation techniques?

I've NEVER used primer - just 5050, like Gray.

Glue the new unit, let it dry and then reheat until it's pretty hot bot not to the point of melting or warping the unit - then glue the shoe, let it go slightly off but not fully and then apply the heated sole and use firm pressure to bond. I don't use a press for this as they can sometimes warp the unit and then they're a right git to remove and correct.

Rick.

when foss 8016 was available it was the only one i would use for p.v.c  or doc martins used it first time in 1971 never lost faith in it since it appears to have vanished from the market trid a number of others the best i found comparable to the 8016 is the multi colle , bostik i have tried just do not like it one bit 

50/50 ,not primer.. clean new units with thinners, no need to scour or roughened up. Warm both surfaces and press on with your hands only. You can not use a press with Dr Martins.

Tip... you only need a very thin layer of fresh 50/50. Dont make the mistake of caking it on or bothering with two layers. 

On 8/25/2020 at 9:42 PM, ironplanet uk900 said:

50/50 ,not primer.. clean new units with thinners, no need to scour or roughened up. Warm both surfaces and press on with your hands only. You can not use a press with Dr Martins.

Tip... you only need a very thin layer of fresh 50/50. Dont make the mistake of caking it on or bothering with two layers. 

You can with the right last plates and pressure ;-)

On 8/25/2020 at 9:42 PM, ironplanet uk900 said:

Ive done many D.M.s over the years, 50/50/ and always use a light press, easy job.

• 1 month later...