Shoe Repairer Forum

Shop refit just about complete

2 hours ago, marky111 said:

looks good but wouldnt have had finisher by counter  would of had that at the back also polishing brush too close to counter hard to get shoe around

Everythings a compromise I'm afraid.  Having the finisher at the back wouldn't have worked for us.  I don't want the till near the counter, and I don't want the shoe machine near the dry cleaning rack. Shoe repairs account for about 15% of turnover so take least priority.  To be honest we almost ditched shoe repair altogether but in the end decided to keep it for now.  We are getting some adjustments made to assist with the shoe brush area on Monday as it is tricky changing the brushes!

1 hour ago, Simes said:

Everythings a compromise I. Shoe repairs account for about 15% of turnover so take least priority.  To be honest we almost ditched shoe repair altogether but in the end decided to keep it for now. 

strange I keep talking to guy's within the trade and the common theme is to drop repairs, however all seem too scared to follow thru

1 minute ago, k4mrc said:

strange I keep talking to guy's within the trade and the common theme is to drop repairs, however all seem too scared to follow thru

For me it’s not about being scared.   it’s about losing customers who not only get shoes repaired but also get keys cut, dry cleaning, engraving, car keys and so on.  Cut the shoe repair and you will likely lose them for everything if they can get it all in one place somewhere else. 

All said and done, a low percentage doesn’t mean it’s bad, just that other parts of the business are higher value turnover. I.e. car keys.  Question is could the space saving be used to better effect.  Not sure on that.

My shoe repairs now are so low I am in the same boat could really just stop now.

But just need that final nudge to make up my mind that concentrating on the real profitable parts of my business is the right thing to do. ?

And stop worrying about given shoe repairs up might mean I lose other business?

34 minutes ago, Mick Friend said:

so then Tea and the waste product of tea? I see no sinks

Water and waste doesn't make money.  Space is a premium.  I bring a flask!  I'm on a retail park so "waste product" disposal nearby.  As is Greggs, McD's and M&S Food Hall.  Not great for the waistline!

Even if shoe repairs was 5% of my turnover I’d be looking at the space it took and deciding if I could get 6% from the same space or time spent on it. I squeezed back the area of shoe repairs, keys and watches to only take up 20% of my floor space and also turned all the stock traditionally associated with “it” to bike spares at the moment bikes are easily 80% of my turn over so the balance is about right. I couldn’t afford to take a 20% wage cut by ditching it altogether and a 700 finisher is something none of my bike shop competitors own & they don’t know how much they’d benefit by having one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 3:42 PM, Simes said:

Water and waste doesn't make money.  Space is a premium.  I bring a flask!  

Wish I had thought of it earlier. Stupidly, I have been bringing in a bottle of  water, to fill a kettle and a flask of milk. Now I just bring in a flask of tea. Got rid of the kettle and the water. When space is a premium, it all helps.

Mike.