Jump to content

Worn out heel of Dr Martens boots. Your advice/opinion


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask your help/opinion about my dr martens boots. The sole is not in terrible conditions but the heel and the top of the sole is worn out. What would you suggest to do? I've searched online and on youtube I've seen some shoemaker replacing the original sole with one that it's totally different, taking away the identity of dr martens boots. I suppose dr martens soles are not available to purchase so that's the only option. Otherwise I've seen some others doing DIY repairs using some glue to fill the worn out part of the heel. What would you suggest? I'm based in London.

Thank you very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, elfman said:

as stated dr martin unit are available plus its an easy enough job to do ,in fact 1 of the easiest cost will depend on the location you are ,do not believe anyone that says they can not be done were you choose to go 

I already called a couple of shoes repair businesses that I found on google. (My choice was based on the high number of reviews and the average rating).

The first said that I was better off buying new dr martens as he would charge me £100 with a new sole that it's similar looking (not original) without the lines on the sides. Or maybe replace only the heel (if possible) for £25 (the pair).

The second one said that he would charge me £60 for new original dr martens soles or find other solutions for cheap (I don't know what kind) , even for £10.

What do you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mybestfriendshoes said:

Where are you based?

To far away I am afraid, but you should be able to find a half decent repairer to do them, I would guess around £50

As far as i am aware D.M. does not supply original replacement heels, so it would have to be a substitute top-piece or full unit.

Either way its's a simple repair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

I often see second hand docs on Facebook market place that are as cheap or cheaper than a unit replacement it's true, but most of my customers are attached to their old ones for any number of reasons. 

I can only imagine that a £10 repair involves some type of PVC heel top lift, or fusing a damaged area with a hot knife, I wouldn't expect any kind of repair beyond an attempt to simply keep them going for a little longer for a tenner. Personally I don't offer separate PVC heels and soles, I've never been happy with the results. I do full units and remedial work on the uppers only. As for assigning value to a pair of boots, that's a question only the customer can answer, I will however point out any potential issues that might mean a unit won't provide value. Sometimes Docs wear out from the inside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, mybestfriendshoes said:

I called a cobbler in London (found watching reviews on google) and he told me that there's cheap ways to fix Dr Martens, even for less than £10. How do you envision cheap ways to fix Dr Martens for less than £10?

I put a translucent top piece on dm heel for £15. Perfect match apart from tread pattern. 

Manchester. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, cre said:

I often see second hand docs on Facebook market place that are as cheap or cheaper than a unit replacement it's true, but most of my customers are attached to their old ones for any number of reasons. 

I can only imagine that a £10 repair involves some type of PVC heel top lift, or fusing a damaged area with a hot knife, I wouldn't expect any kind of repair beyond an attempt to simply keep them going for a little longer for a tenner. Personally I don't offer separate PVC heels and soles, I've never been happy with the results. I do full units and remedial work on the uppers only. As for assigning value to a pair of boots, that's a question only the customer can answer, I will however point out any potential issues that might mean a unit won't provide value. Sometimes Docs wear out from the inside. 

I've done re-heeling and half s and h on docs for years with no problems, as well as original units. 

The purists are great but day to day customers often want an alternative. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, mybestfriendshoes said:

It would be great to see how these repair look like. I had a look on google and I can't see any.

Have a look at my post above, follow the link to my Facebook page of necessary to see other examples. If you find a good cobbler then you can relax and keep your favourite boots going. 

Best of luck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, cre said:

Have a look at my post above, follow the link to my Facebook page of necessary to see other examples. If you find a good cobbler then you can relax and keep your favourite boots going. 

Best of luck. 

Yes, I had a look at the photos you posted, but they're the £50-60 repair with original DM soles. I can't find the link to your facebook page though.

I was also curious to see what the cheaper repairs look like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mybestfriendshoes said:

Yes, I had a look at the photos you posted, but they're the £50-60 repair with original DM soles. I can't find the link to your facebook page though.

I was also curious to see what the cheaper repairs look like.

This is the page link https://www.facebook.com/last.co.uk/

You won't see any of the cheaper heel or half sole/heel  options on my page but simply imagine a similar colour sole or heel piece adhered on top of your current original units. The tread is slightly different as is the colour but the material (PVC) is essentially the same. If you're cobbler has the DM groover then the lines on the exterior should match up too

Hope this helps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cre said:

This is the page link https://www.facebook.com/last.co.uk/

You won't see any of the cheaper heel or half sole/heel  options on my page but simply imagine a similar colour sole or heel piece adhered on top of your current original units. The tread is slightly different as is the colour but the material (PVC) is essentially the same. If you're cobbler has the DM groover then the lines on the exterior should match up too

Hope this helps. 

Very kind. Thank you so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 4:25 AM, cre said:

This is the page link https://www.facebook.com/last.co.uk/

You won't see any of the cheaper heel or half sole/heel or washed shoes options on my page but simply imagine a similar colour sole or heel piece adhered on top of your current original units. The tread is slightly different as is the colour but the material (PVC) is essentially the same. If you're cobbler has the DM groover then the lines on the exterior should match up too

Hope this helps. 

Thanks dude , make me much easy to decide now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...