Shoe Repairer Forum

Defect - worth returning?

Hello,

I recently purchased a pair of boots.  Given how expensive these were, my intention is that they should have a long life provided I can resole them and have them fixed by my local cobbler when needed.  That said, there seems to be a small break where the leather meets the sole and another small break on the sole itself.  The break on the sole is very minor.  I don't know if these would compromise the ability of a cobbler to resole the boot - if they can be resoled regardless of these minor (?) defects, I'm okay keeping them.  So, my question is - should I send them back to the manufacturer, or are these only aesthetic defects.  Picture attached.

Thorogood 1892 Portage boots.

Thanks for any guidance - greatly appreciated.

IMG_3993.JPG.jpeg

Think we need to see some more general pictures of the boots. That looks like possibly the mock welt breaking, this essentially only a piece of ascetic trim to look like real stitching. How much were they? If the boot is actually a resin rubber soled mock welt jobby then I doubt they are worth much to begin with. A mockwelt will usually stay on the shoe when repairing if this has to be repaired aswell it will be additional work and the job will be priced accordingly - At my place anyway. Some will not bother touching the welts and everyone will have there own prices and quality accordingly.

Thank you Mathews for the quick and detailed reply. I've dealt with Thorogood in the past and I suspect they'd let be exchange them, but that means time and money. I paid $275 - a lot for me, so I want to get this right! Thanks again!

https://milworks.co/products/thorogood-boots-1892-portage-black

I can send more pictures of my boots and the spot in question if that helps.