Shoe Repairer Forum

Laser engraver

The funny thing is I don't really know what I need it for but I like to offer the complete product? We get asked for things like leather, metal industrial products, wood signs, slate signs to be engraved. I'm going to a Trotec demo day next week to have a play and find out more.

My budget is about £10k.

what do you want to laser that is the question then you can decide co2 or fibre I couldn't be without either

Craig

Shows how little I know at the moment, I didn't even know there are different types! Got a lot to learn before I make this purchase.

With that budget with trotec you only have one option with trotec add a little more cadh and you will get a rayjet but my advice is if your budget doesn't allow more finance the difference and buy a speedy 100 is it Bryan jater you are seeing he sold me 3 machines great guy. Pity you don't live closer you could have popped in to my engraving workshop and seen some machines in action

Craig

With that budget with trotec you only have one option with trotec add a little more cadh and you will get a rayjet but my advice is if your budget doesn't allow more finance the difference and buy a speedy 100 is it Bryan jater you are seeing he sold me 3 machines great guy. Pity you don't live closer you could have popped in to my engraving workshop and seen some machines in action

Craig

Thanks for the offer, that's really kind of you.

we can always add a bit of finance if the right machine needs it.

I never really seen one in action (except for a few minutes at Trophex) so looking forward what they might be able to do for us.

Think hard about what you want to engrave and what you think you can sell engraved take your own products with you and you decide what to be engraved take a pen drive with fine detail logo bold In filled text thin out line text and you tell them where on the item you want it engraved and get them to put the machine through its paces. Don't let them just show you a few items they have. At the money you are investing make sure you get the correct machine for your needs if going down the co2 route speedy 100 will be ideal but get one with a larger tube you don't want the 40 watt one and check what wattage one they are using as a demo. Don't let them talk you into a flex machine its shite the fibre through a moving lens far to slow and throw area even on 2inch lens is poor.

If engraving lots of metal fibre is much better through a galvo head. I have a few trotec machines I run two 40 watt co2 and a 80 watt co2 I have two 10 watt fibres and two 20watt fibres 7 lasers in daily use as well as 5umarq machines and will be 6 next week when the next Universal 350 is delivered. Laser does most of my engraving

Also bear in mind what you are going to do with the fumes machines need extraction either straight to outside but if a shopping area the smells from plastic and wood and coated metals are strong and might cause complaints or a carbon filter system is available but an extra few grand.

If you fancy a wee trip to Scotland I could show you various things that the machines can do that trotec couldn't and various speed and power tips we are busy everyday we average around 700 engraved items a day but could let you play with machines one evening

Craig

Thanks for all your help and advice Craig, it really is much appreciated.

We've got a lot of research to do before we make a purchase.

As for Scotland.....I might just take you up on the offer one day.

Paul

Your welcome if you don't visit you could always let me know how you get on and if you are going to trophex in January I will be exhibiting their so pop along to my stand and say hello.

Craig

• 1 month later...

I put the decision off until after my holiday (came back on Monday after 2 weeks off!)

I am popping down to the south coast to see an old friend who has a HPC machine, not necessarily to buy one of those but to have a play and make sure this is what our next purchase is going to be.

Then I will go to Trophex and see what deals are around.

I will defiantly come and say hi too, are you exhibiting your sign service or something else??

Paul