Shoe Repairer Forum

If theres one thing i hate doing,it's fitting tele tone taps onto tap shoes. The holes never line up & you can bet that a nail or two will always come through. Even worse when they want old ones swapped onto a new pair. I used to charge a fiver but they are such a pain especially if you ar busy that i just told a woman they would be a tenner. She sniffed her nose a bit but went for it because i know timpsons near me won't touch them. I've been mucking around with them on & off for an hour in between other jobs & wondered whether a £10 was too much ? What do you charge for this service ?

ditch the nails that come with them & use 12mm sqare shank ones. use the brad nailer to nail heel carbons on & get an electric screw driver. lift the insoles each pair so the nails don't spoil them & they can be done in 10 mins max. I charge £5.00 per pair to swoop the toes & £5.00 for heels (£10) or £10 for a new set (£20 for toes & heels).

Lee

Just turned away 2 pairs this week, they were very thin suede soles and expected taps to be fitted. One of the ladies owned the shop that supplied shoes and taps and said this is how they are coming through now. The resin soles are bad enough but nailing to suede is not something I'm going to start doing.

She's talking out off her Back side! see needs to be ordering tap shoes & not modern dance ones! I buy my taps from Starlite who also supply a nice full colour dance wear Boucher. You can pick up the odd extra sale on footwear & gear. :-{{{

I've build a reputation for taps, as the local dance shop has a habit of selling the wrong size taps & its helped build my customer base as this sort of work is very much talked about within the dance circle.

easy pessy lemon squeezer.

Lee

i always seem to drop the nails into the tray underneath the last
Theres a trick to holding the nails! I'll video how I do a pair next week (whats the betting I don't get any now I've said that!) to show you.
Dont nail the carbons just glue them,never had any come off yet, pilot dill 1.5mm hole for screws in heel block

so they dont bind on the plastic.

Tut! I've swooped taps 5 or six times from pair to pair, nasty way of doing it IMO! pilot hole shouldn't be needed. the taps should NOT be screwed hard on the carbon plate they should rattle against it, thats why its there & what gives them the unique sound!

Looks like I need to get my video camera out!

Lee

• 2 months later...