Shoe Repairer Forum

Your Funny or serious! pictures

“Wilson arrives at work, three months to go, let the training begin”

Its time to start your training! send in pictures of yourselves, through out! any images will help build interest in the event.

YOU'D HAVE THOUGHT CHRIS WOULD HAVE HAD A WASH BEFORE GOING TO WORK, or do you think it was a "staged" photo! :lol:

click the link to see!

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry to say Harborough Carnival was subjected to the Re-Cycle

DSC00630s.jpg

to see the full size image & others click here

These pictures show how great the publicity could be for those taking part. we still have a handful of empty sections & many sections now have several teams cycling them. get signed up soon so start you campaign!

Lee

Seeing that other committe members have started training thought it might be good time for me to start.

Got bike down from rafters in garage where it has lain for past 15 years since kids were small. Quick brush down, spray WD40 here and there - off down road for a try out. Must remember not to put WD40 on wheel rims in future.

Round block for a trial ride. Seems ok but no idea how far i've gone. Go down to cycle shop for trip computer. Ask assistant for a simple one. Apparently they are all simple to use. Whilst there decide to look at road bikes as we have been promised special bikes for charity ride. See size of saddles. Also buy padded shorts.

Fix trip computer as per instructions. Now requires calibrating. After 45 minutes faffing decide to ask son. 2 mins later fully calibrated. Check out distance previously ridden round block. 3.2miles. This is not good - felt lke at least 10. Resolve to get more practice. Receive severe warning from son reagrding perils of cycling on busy roads without helmet. This is a significant turning point in our ongoing relationship.

Borrow sons' helmet. Discover he is quite correct about the size of my head.

Latest ride 7 miles Surprisingly quite enjoyed it, apart from the fact that someone seems to be stealing all manhole covers from side roads around us leaving horrendous holes in the edge of road where I ride. Also have sore nether regions in spite of massive padding on shorts.

Only 80 days to go - much more training required. Apply WD40 to knees. Water bottle now contains 50/50 red bull/ vodka

Resolve not to wear horizontal striped top in any photo.

• 3 weeks later...

Training session number 2

Saturday - non stop rain. not going out in this. Nesh.

Sunday - Bright and sunny but gale force winds. Look across garden and see branches down and thick layer of leaves. No cycling again today . Decide to take car and check out designated route. Start point for section 17 is Bentley Station. Know where Bentley is, near Doncaster. Don't know where station is. Drive to Bentley. See one of those stupid "Rail" signs and follow it. Can't see station. Turn round and re trace route. See railway line with bus shelter at side of it. Small sign says "Bentley Station" . Not quite as expected. Set trip computer on car and off we go. Flat suburban scrawl for nearly a mile. Traffic lights ahead. Oops this is the A19, major route in to Doncaster. Wide, wide carriageway but no cycle track. Lots of red lights. Lots of traffic. Follow traffic very slowly thinking that it would actually be quicker on bike. Come to first roundabout. Crikey how many lanes are there? bad enough by car but on bike? jeez!

Take exit. WOW! What's this? A flyover! Will you just look at that! it sweeps upwards in a huge curve like a mountain and then it drops at a ferocious angle until it meets what seems to be ten sets of traffic lights as I approach the town centre. Phew! hope brakes on bike are good! Follow what I think is correct route. After 3 miles realise that a bike can cut through town centre and reduce it to one mile. Is this cheating? Don't care. Route out of town passes the race course and then through the leafy posh suburb of Cantley, where the rich people live. Will be nice to pedal slowly looking at expensive houses. Out of Cantley and past Finningley or Robin Hood Airport as it is now known. Country road, fairly flat, couple of small inclines but they are all uphill. What happened to the downhill slopes and some well deserved coasting ?. Reach Bawtry. Nice place but lots of traffic. Out on country lanes again Should be ok but have to remember I'm in car not on bike. Sweep down past pub and turn on to road into Retford. Didn't realise it was such a long flat road. Right at roundabout and follow signs for Retford station, my designated finish point. It's bloody miles! eventually pull up at station and check car trip computer. 23 miles ? Hmm. Need more training! Resolve to shave head to cut down wind resistance ( and make helmet fit better) . Explore possibilities of a small electric motor on back wheel.

I would like to introduce you all to Georgia

md_10.jpg

Georgia has "volunteered" to be one of the mechanics for either the East or the West run. Judging from the pictures on the site, she looks mad as a hatter!

More pictures are on the main web site: http://www.shoerecycling.co.uk

Also I received my pack yesterday for my rider Chris "des" Wilson so Simon's coming in this morning to help me build a window display, I'll post up some pictures later.

Lee

Mouth to Mouth, shocking 360, all clear! we need E's B's & FBC's and a cross match of 4 units...........

See who needs first aid when you've got casualty & holby city on the box.

Simon & I have just brought Rhiannon's bike (unused since she hit a parked car the day she got it! :lol: ) down to put in the window.

Posters up, sponges on counter. SOLD 3 already that's £3 to children in need & some animated customer leaving with smiles on there faces.

Lee

DCP_0035a.JPG

DCP_0037a.JPG

I would like to introduce you all to Georgia

md_10.jpg

Georgia has "volunteered" to be one of the mechanics for either the East or the West run. Judging from the pictures on the site, she looks mad as a hatter!

More pictures are on the main web site: http://www.shoerecycling.co.uk

Also I received my pack yesterday for my rider Chris "des" Wilson so Simon's coming in this morning to help me build a window display, I'll post up some pictures later.

Lee

I've just joined St.Johns Ambulance and learnt muscle relaxing massage techniques.....all for Children in need you understand.... 8-[ =P~ =P~ 8-[

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to check out the http://www.shoerecycling.co.uk website as the cahllenge gets closer, as there should be some great news stories published along the way.

take this example

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/greenw ... harity.php

you can download a copy of it in the "Press" section of the site.

Well Done MATT, thats what it's all about!

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...