Shoe Repairer Forum

What kind of customers do you have, and in what kind of area are your shop located?

You should chose shoes in the right price category.

I think good year welted is a must. Also calf leather.

Barkers are not the most expensive shoes but they are well done.

If you are located in a wealthy area i would go for a shoe that are a little bit higher in price and quality. Maybe 2 different brand`s if you are not sure what to choose? Crockett & Jones? What do your neighbours sell?

I would start with the shoes that the Barkers rep says sell best, and from there start with more models.

We have been selling shoes for a couple of years now

and it goes pretty well. It also brings in customers with better shoes to repair. For some reason they they believe you are a better repairer for these kind of shoes just because you sell them

This year i think we will sell about 600 - 700 pairs

Go for it....

I love Crockett & Jones, hate Barkers with the welt that almost is not a welt as there is hardly anything to stitch on this is not indicitive of all models though as I have 2 pairs of Brogues that have normal welts.

The C & J are just too good to wear, frightened of scuffing them, expect I'll get buries with them, with the ephitaph reading "Buys the best but wears the rest". :wink:

Selling a good pair of shoes to a customer who appreciates them is great job satisfaction.

What kind of customers do you have, and in what kind of area are your shop located?

You should chose shoes in the right price category.

I think good year welted is a must. Also calf leather.

Barkers are not the most expensive shoes but they are well done.

If you are located in a wealthy area i would go for a shoe that are a little bit higher in price and quality. Maybe 2 different brand`s if you are not sure what to choose? Crockett & Jones? What do your neighbours sell?

I would start with the shoes that the Barkers rep says sell best, and from there start with more models.

We have been selling shoes for a couple of years now

and it goes pretty well. It also brings in customers with better shoes to repair. For some reason they they believe you are a better repairer for these kind of shoes just because you sell them

This year i think we will sell about 600 - 700 pairs

Go for it....

Thanks Peter, I knew you'd say that :wink: I will go for it......cheers

Guest Jon smith

Sounds like this could be a decent add on. How many styles, sizes, colours etc would be a good starting point? What kind of mark up is there in shoe sales opposed to leather sole & heel repair? I get Grenson, Loakes,Jeffery west?, and other mid priced shoes in for repair(£70-£200). Is there many returns?