Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Flash said:

Run out of Bambi Compressor oil, what would happening if I was to use 20/50 motor oil instead?

20/50 is designed for piston engines in cars chances are high you will damage the Bambi, you should consider how much it will cost (£500-£600) to replace the Bambi versus the (around £35 per litre) cost of proper oil designed for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, Flash said:

Run out of Bambi Compressor oil, what would happening if I was to use 20/50 motor oil instead?

Don't see why you wouldn't be OK with 0W 20W oil.   https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/mobil-super-3000-formula-vc-engine-oil-0w-20-1ltr-521779262?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7-_Gp5e28wIVydPtCh35Tg8lEAQYASABEgKOevD_BwE A third of the price of Bambi oil. Fully synthetic and about the right viscosity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not about the cost or availability, more about the curiosity. Motor oil is designed to run piston engines that run very fast very hot, Bambi compressors have a piston don't they? they don't run anywhere near as fast or hot as a car yet the motor oil may do damage!!!!!!!!  I don't understand how or why it should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

It's not about the cost or availability, more about the curiosity. Motor oil is designed to run piston engines that run very fast very hot, Bambi compressors have a piston don't they? they don't run anywhere near as fast or hot as a car yet the motor oil may do damage!!!!!!!!  I don't understand how or why it should.

It's less to do with the piston more the cam and con rod, these are what seize in quiet compressors and thicker oil won't get to temperature to thin itself enough to lubricate these comparatively miniature items. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, petercoulson said:

It's less to do with the piston more the cam and con rod, these are what seize in quiet compressors and thicker oil won't get to temperature to thin itself enough to lubricate these comparatively miniature items. 

Many thanks for that, I understand a bit more now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...