Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Changed to 4 1/2 days over the last year. Life's too short to spend my life in this shop. As much as i love my work I've got a family that I love more!

(Busier than ever too, so working even harder in those 4 1/2 days but i prefer it this way, also when really busy i come in on my Wednesday off for a few hours, pull down the blinds  and catch up)

Paul 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 6:42 PM, Flash said:

Overcharging loses customers to the trade on a permanent basis. If I was quoted £85 to replace a watch battery I would throw away the watch and buy a cheap replacement. Most customers already do this with their shoes. Repairs, servicing, has to be a viable alternative to replacement.

How busy are the "busy fools" really.

What denotes 'overcharging' ? Get a fair price for not just the cost of the goods, but for your expertise ;-) Of course there are the economics of the area, but there are plenty of businessmen on this Forum who charge well for their expertise and we all know who they are.  They may not get that level of profit on every service, but they know what makes their money ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Gray said:

We seem to be of the same mindset Flash. I've been in business for 48 years. I sleep well at night knowing I've not conned anyone.

My opinion is how I've always done business for over 40 years.  I believe in getting a fair price for services and goods, I've never conned anyone in my life and if there's anyone in this Trade you can trust it's me ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, keithm said:

My opinion is how I've always done business for over 40 years.  I believe in getting a fair price for services and goods, I've never conned anyone in my life and if there's anyone in this Trade you can trust it's me ;-)

'Nothing leaves our factory until it's paid for" doesn't seem very trusting to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Flash said:

'Nothing leaves our factory until it's paid for" doesn't seem very trusting to me.

You have now moved the conversation on to Trading Terms, ours are no different to many Companies, it's the modern way and has been brought about by credit being given and abused.  Our customers have no issue with paying for goods as they leave our Factory, it's just common sense in the modern world, chasing debt is both time consuming and costly.

 

I doubt very much that any of your customers leave your shop without paying for the service they've just received!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Bringing it back to the subject of watch batteries. I have just this week charged a couple ( Man and Wife) £5 for a Renata lithium battery supply only. They have each now left a 1 star review on google so that's two 1 star reviews in total. Saying how I have totally overcharged them because they claim 'you can buy 10 for a pound and also accusing me of ripping them of because they are Italian and I must be bitter because of the European final'. I never forced them to buy from me and told them the price before taking payment. I have taken these comments badly as it has affected my Google ratings seriously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

an informed answer is needed, informing the difference between 10 for a pound and yours. Informing readers of the two reviews from the same family & that the price was quoted before payment. people see through it. I had a 1 star because a customer set a combination lock incorrectly. I throw it in my sons lap (he's anal! lol) and he figured it out & I set it in front of the customer, so I put it right with out quibble & as a thank you got a 1 star review. The lock is my best seller (bike lock not padlock) it never affected my sales. I charge £2.50 for most blister pack 3 volts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cobblers.keys said:

Bringing it back to the subject of watch batteries. I have just this week charged a couple ( Man and Wife) £5 for a Renata lithium battery supply only. They have each now left a 1 star review on google so that's two 1 star reviews in total. Saying how I have totally overcharged them because they claim 'you can buy 10 for a pound and also accusing me of ripping them of because they are Italian and I must be bitter because of the European final'. I never forced them to buy from me and told them the price before taking payment. I have taken these comments badly as it has affected my Google ratings seriously. 

Renata are a Swiss company not Italian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i normally cherge 4.50 for a sale of just the battery however i do explain to the customer that they can purchse the same size but not make of battery from the pound shop across the road but if you choose to go over and get them check the dates on the card ,plus they tens to leak after a few weeks in the watch ,normally always get the sale 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, elfman said:

i normally cherge 4.50 for a sale of just the battery however i do explain to the customer that they can purchse the same size but not make of battery from the pound shop across the road but if you choose to go over and get them check the dates on the card ,plus they tens to leak after a few weeks in the watch ,normally always get the sale 

Same here, I tell customers they are different batteries, when asked to explain how I tell them mine are guaranteed for a year, how long are pound shops guaranteed for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just this week I had a customer come in announcing that he has been to the pound shop but couldn't find the battery he needed in the pack he was looking at, Number 395 

No problem sir I said we have one here, £3

£3 he said disgusted, but I can buy a whole card full for £1

Yes but it doesn't have a 395 in it, so would you like this 395 battery for £3

"No", and left the shop in disgust.

I'm passed caring about these type of customers, I tell every customer what the price of the service will be before commencing then its a simple yes go ahead or no thanks from the customer, you got to laugh at the thinking thou 

 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, algsoul said:

pound shop over the road from me sells ten for a pound but also renata 99p each    

 

What is the date on the Renata?  how long are the 10 for a pound guaranteed for?

Mine are guaranted, if they leak and cause damage to watch/remote key, I will repair or replace damaged item.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ian platt said:

We stock an fit watch batteries  we charge £5.50   We will sell battery only  but it’s £5.50  and sell loads    We also  charge  £3 to put the backs back on watches  which fall off    Lol 

"It just dropped off as I was putting it on, I don't know why"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you pay £60 for fullsole and heel shoe value£ 300 machines required £10,000 (stitcher finisher  press ave  2every 3mon

set of keys 5 garrison, mortice Yale2 tubular £35 machines 3 cost  4,000

pet tag 6.95 cup 18.00  engraving machine 1 cost 6.500 

watch battery 6.95 standard ave 9a day  boss fossil diesel type 9.00 ave 6a day  cost£ 900  p,tester and standard bench tools

60%of turnover is watches

o for got to mention car key £45 key only    fob and key ave £125  ave 6 a month in house machine cost  12,000

door fobs £9 ave 5 aweek   machine 1 £300

its all in the marketing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, da miller said:

you pay £60 for fullsole and heel shoe value£ 300 machines required £10,000 (stitcher finisher  press ave  2every 3mon

set of keys 5 garrison, mortice Yale2 tubular £35 machines 3 cost  4,000

pet tag 6.95 cup 18.00  engraving machine 1 cost 6.500 

watch battery 6.95 standard ave 9a day  boss fossil diesel type 9.00 ave 6a day  cost£ 900  p,tester and standard bench tools

60%of turnover is watches

o for got to mention car key £45 key only    fob and key ave £125  ave 6 a month in house machine cost  12,000

door fobs £9 ave 5 aweek   machine 1 £300

its all in the marketing

I don't get your point with this, are you saying you don't do any other repairs only 2 pairs of full soles every 2 months?

I don't see where the marketing is? or am I missing something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...