Just had a customer in for a watch battery (335) . Ladies watch with 6 little screws to get the back off. Those "T" chaps just quoted her £50. What's that all about. Boils my blood.

34 minutes ago, Gray said:

Just had a customer in for a watch battery (335) . Ladies watch with 6 little screws to get the back off. Those "T" chaps just quoted her £50. What's that all about. Boils my blood.

Did they offer a lifetime guarantee for that price :roll:.

Had one customer local who had been back to T's 3 times with a lifetime offer to be told it only covered 3 replacements even though he had kept his reciept.

Obviously he is now one of our customers.

11 hours ago, Flash said:

How much for a watch then? Without a lifetime guarantee....

Depends on the make of the watch.

they start from £11.95 these days with a year guarantee.

the watch that was taken into Gray’s was probably a Longines, Rado or Cartier by the sound of it

16 hours ago, Gray said:

You were right Count, I charged the customer £10. How T's can justify charging £50 is beyond me. Fortunately I have a moral compass.

longines-la-grande-classique-steel-quartz-ladies-watch-l4-205-2-p2803-4248_zoom.jpg

thing is, there getting this kind of money, are we 'VERY BUSY FOOLS?'   we also have two jewellers around our shop that are charging what we call ridicules prices - pens the question if they'd pay them why are we so cheap? Is our work not as good?

20 hours ago, Gray said:

You were right Count, I charged the customer £10. How T's can justify charging £50 is beyond me. Fortunately I have a moral compass.

longines-la-grande-classique-steel-quartz-ladies-watch-l4-205-2-p2803-4248_zoom.jpg

Get what you can!  Busy fools indeed, you don't have to charge Timpsons prices, but if you were 60-70% you would be better off ;-)

£10 is just too cheap.

Overcharging loses customers to the trade on a permanent basis. If I was quoted £85 to replace a watch battery I would throw away the watch and buy a cheap replacement. Most customers already do this with their shoes. Repairs, servicing, has to be a viable alternative to replacement.

How busy are the "busy fools" really.

One town that I had worked in maybe 10 years ago had a timpson that had one of those watch battery wagon things directly opposite doing batteries for £3.50.
The timpson were starting from £7.95 back then and still doing batteries.

a couple of doors up timpson also had a “watch workshop” which wouldn’t do a battery under £15. they had no problem with charging that money to customers and many would pay much more. It was a good looking brand, so people trusted them.

there was also a high end jewellers a couple of doors up from them charging at least £20 per battery and they were doing ok themselves.

I guess the better your image and reputation is, the more you can charge. Undercharging is just as bad as over charging. People won’t respect you if the price is too low. They just assume you don’t know what you’re doing.

also consider what happens if you accidentally slip with the screwdriver and take a chunk out of the watch back or round off a screw. Would you be happy with a £200 charge to put it right if you’re only charging £5 a time?

And any watch that’s being charged £85, although I agree it’s far too much, the watches would usually be worth £800+. Not the kind of money I’d be chucking in the bin and buying a new watch.

1 hour ago, Count Muppet said:

And any watch that’s being charged £85, although I agree it’s far too much, the watches would usually be worth £800+. Not the kind of money I’d be chucking in the bin and buying a new watch.

That's a fair point. Although I must be a busy fool because on a "general" watch I charge £5 a battery with having two jewelers within 20 yards of my shop either side of my shop. Profit is still good and customers still come to me for straps and pay £10-£35 each. Also while they are waiting they can see all the other services and products I provide. 

On 7/21/2021 at 11:28 AM, keithm said:

Get what you can!  Busy fools indeed, you don't have to charge Timpsons prices, but if you were 60-70% you would be better off ;-)

£10 is just too cheap.

I can't even justify £40 for a battery Keith. It doesn't sit well with me when we know what we pay for them. Personally I would not like to be a customer of yours if that is your philosophy.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:28 AM, keithm said:

£10 is just too cheap.

That's not a very professional way to build a price structure, "get what you can" if that's Standards way, as well as lack of trust, no wonder this trade is on the decline.

18 minutes ago, Flash said:

That's not a very professional way to build a price structure, "get what you can" if that's Standards way, as well as lack of trust, no wonder this trade is on the decline.

We seem to be of the same mindset Flash. I've been in business for 48 years. I sleep well at night knowing I've not conned anyone.

1 hour ago, Gray said:

We seem to be of the same mindset Flash. I've been in business for 48 years. I sleep well at night knowing I've not conned anyone.

56 Years for me, I sleep well every night, love every minite of my job, 6 days a week, 54 yrs in same shop.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

56 Years for me, I sleep well every night, love every minite of my job, 6 days a week, 54 yrs in same shop.

That's great, Same as me 6 day's a week, Some scoff but I love what I do and I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

14 hours ago, Gray said:

That's great, Same as me 6 day's a week, Some scoff but I love what I do and I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

14 hours ago, Flash said:

that makes 3 of us gents 

32years ,but only doing watch repairs for last 2 ,£5-10 for batteries depending .

I applaud you older guys still working 6 days a week .lockdown has given me time to re asses life so gone down to 4 days a week ,having a sun ,mon off is a real godsend . Playing golf twice a week is certainly more enjoyable than work . Although I do go back in with renewed enthusiasm. Your a long time dead boys