I often get asked to copy RFID fobs and cards etc.  Any advice on the most universal products around to do this successfully and prices charged for copying.  Trying to work out if it's worth the investment.

I use this as local housing assoc has rfid entry to blocks of flats. Not a huge earner but does make money. and brings in other keys for cutting.

www.davenport-burgess.com/products/SMART-CARD-FOB-READER-KIT/P137587#/#substitutions believe SKS also sell this.

Bob

I have this system - it's so quick and easy to use, we often check it's actually worked

as for pricing £10 each 2nd half price - not used very week but had to do 7 for one customer the other day

I wouldn't sell it though - so I guess worth the investment 

Paxton, i got asked about 4 times for this type so bought it - guise what? NEVER USED (2 years now)

I have no experience regarding these entry cards, fobs, tags etc.  I'm worried about investing then find every other one that comes in can't be done.  How universal are they and do I need to buy a stack of stock or are their universal "tags".  Sorry if I'm sounding dumb, but I have no idea :)

The Paxton one clones onto a 'copy' fob you have to buy the 'copy' fob off the supplier you cannot clone a copy to a copy you must have an original. I had such an event -  blocks of luxury flats many people died, moved, lost over the 10 years -  It was cheaper and easier in the end to convince them to allow me to reprogramme  all 3 blocks and issue 70 fobs with shadow cards all in a locked keysafe under the management committee control

1 hour ago, Mick Friend said:

The Paxton one clones onto a 'copy' fob you have to buy the 'copy' fob off the supplier you cannot clone a copy to a copy you must have an original. I had such an event -  blocks of luxury flats many people died, moved, lost over the 10 years -  It was cheaper and easier in the end to convince them to allow me to reprogramme  all 3 blocks and issue 70 fobs with shadow cards all in a locked keysafe under the management committee control

Better security too

1 hour ago, Mick Friend said:

The Paxton one clones onto a 'copy' fob you have to buy the 'copy' fob off the supplier you cannot clone a copy to a copy you must have an original. 

Does that mean, a few years down the line, customers may have clones, but think they have originals, but these can't be copied. That's a potential time bomb of minor complaints. That's enough to put me off.

Mike.

We have the SCD1 Smart Card reader fob as mentioned above and sell loads of them at £15.  There's lots of older blocks of flats that have these on communal doors, although a lot of the newer ones now seem to have upgraded to fobs that actually have to be programmed in, rather than just cloned.

We bought the Paxton bullet fob device around a year ago as we seemed to be getting asked regularly for them, and then since then we've probably cloned less than 10.  I didn't realise that you can only copy from an original.