Shoe Repairer Forum

Back to work full time in the morning. I have already got purchase orders from the NHS and others ready and waiting. So I will resume cutting keys as before for forum members. Shop is now sectioned off, screen in place on counter and no more than 2 in the shop at anytime. I have masks,wipes,sanitiser as well as an automatic dispenser on the counter for customers. On the plus side as I am 99% certain that having already had the virus and fully recovering (took 5 weeks to feel ok) so I’m not as worried as I could have been. Anyone else now planning to open ?.

Hi Graham - you're on more or less the same schedule as us, then. You've done better in getting hold of PPE and cleaning products. Or you've been more willing to pay? I've seen some crazy prices. No doubt you've found good prices. If you'd care to share I'd be grateful. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, NYKeys said:

Hi Graham - you're on more or less the same schedule as us, then. You've done better in getting hold of PPE and cleaning products. Or you've been more willing to pay? I've seen some crazy prices. No doubt you've found good prices. If you'd care to share I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Spent about £250 in total on PPE which isn’t to bad to be honest. My employee is not returning until The end of June until the furlough scheme ends.

Looks like early June for us , no point in opening if not many general public to accommodate. Spent the last few weeks re- vamping the shop inside & out ,  + the work shop at home . Feeling positive about our trade in the future. Hope the public will support us small local shops , this is our 30th year of trading ; hopefully a few left in us yet . Stay safe Guys 

§  The Customer arrives and you let them enter the shop – one person at a time

§  They place the key on the counter and stand 2 metres back

§  The key is cleaned by the member of staff. An alcohol wipe or similar should be used to clean the key.

§  The key/s are then cut

§  Payment is made – contactless where possible

§  Keys placed on counter for customer to collect

§  Customer leaves

§  Counter/door handle etc. cleaned before next customer comes in.

§  Next appointment begins.

Doncaster trading standards. 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Any links to anti-bac/anti-viral wipes?

All the ones I've found seem quite expensive.

I've got hand gel and spray coming but wipes will better for car remotes and other electrical bits, less liquids getting everywhere!!!

They're going to be difficult to source for a while possibly, seems supermarkets stock may be building up could be worth checking locally?

Bucket of water with disinfectant in it. Cheaper than a wet wipe, can be used all day long.

I’m waiting for PPE to arrive. Going to slide my counter to the door and serve one at a time. I could have been open right through but with the government  support there was no need.

ive been one of the lucky ones, touch wood no one in my family has caught the virus so it’s been a great reset.

i do bikes and with all the talk about cycling could even see a boom period once I open.

Lee

3 hours ago, Lee said:

Bucket of water with disinfectant in it. Cheaper than a wet wipe, can be used all day long.

I’m waiting for PPE to arrive. Going to slide my counter to the door and serve one at a time. I could have been open right through but with the government  support there was no need.

ive been one of the lucky ones, touch wood no one in my family has caught the virus so it’s been a great reset.

i do bikes and with all the talk about cycling could even see a boom period once I open.

Lee

done just this today, 3 bottles Asda £1.80 :)

1 hour ago, Ian platt said:

Wtf shop opened around the corner from me a sweet shop  on a mall  no Perspex screen no masks  no way can get 2 meter safe distance apparently sweets are an essential pic attached 

1117EE2F-4E31-4BD7-B783-8F4AA1DB010F.jpeg

Not even bagged sweets? Local council should have something to say about that, it's all wrong

1 hour ago, petercoulson said:

Not even bagged sweets? Local council should have something to say about that, it's all wrong

but there getting away with it - I know of several not just where I am, other towns and cities.. 

My bro was in his shop offering delivery service and the police called making sure he wasn't open (Worcester)

But there is one right in the middle of the town not shut at all been open all over this pandemic every day

I opened the shop today as was disinfecting the shop, takes a long time, however I had just bought a shop full of machinery etc from a guy who has shut down, I had a large sand blaster on the floor when a couple of builders called in and knowing what it was haggled with me and bought it (so large I am so happy as didn't want to get it upstairs phew) cut a few keys sold a few bits.

Just getting ready for the start.

• 3 weeks later...

So nearly 3 weeks since re opening i have had the best 3 weeks trading of the year so far. I have asked my employee to return on Monday as i am struggling to cope with the ammount of work i have had.

Only 2 pair of shoes so far but several hundred watch batteries and car remote batteries. Key cutting has been on another level even for me.

In fact it has been so good i have juts ordered a brand new Triax Pro to replace my Triax e-code so in a few weeks time i will have a mint second hand well looked after triax for sale if anyone is interested.

Financially the lockdown so far has benefitted me massively and many i have spoken to that are returning (other trades) are saying the same so hopefully when you all return you will also bounce back very quickly and get back to normal as soon as possible even though the new normal is very strange.

Good luck to you all and best wishes for the future of out trade.

8 hours ago, grahamparker said:

So nearly 3 weeks since re opening i have had the best 3 weeks trading of the year so far. I have asked my employee to return on Monday as i am struggling to cope with the ammount of work i have had.

Only 2 pair of shoes so far but several hundred watch batteries and car remote batteries. Key cutting has been on another level even for me.

In fact it has been so good i have juts ordered a brand new Triax Pro to replace my Triax e-code so in a few weeks time i will have a mint second hand well looked after triax for sale if anyone is interested.

Financially the lockdown so far has benefitted me massively and many i have spoken to that are returning (other trades) are saying the same so hopefully when you all return you will also bounce back very quickly and get back to normal as soon as possible even though the new normal is very strange.

Good luck to you all and best wishes for the future of out trade.

Hi Graham. Good to see your busy. Can you let me know on the triax when your ready to get rid. Cheers.