Shoe Repairer Forum

Help! Timpsons level one!

On 2/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, Count Muppet said:

I worry about the boredom of it all. I know at first it would be exciting but after a few years it would all get a bit too much. There is the gamble also of course and I’ll be in a much better position to think about it again in a couple of years.

there also doesn’t seem to be too many places to set up near me these days, although with timpson slowly pulling out of high streets I was thinking it may be a good business plan to take over one of their old units as I would have a rough idea of turnover and could use this to forecast a couple of years ahead to reduce the gamble a little.

Already offered him my place Graham but he's a bit too far away, and Count I've been at it for 46 years and I'm not bored yet.

I aint that far behind you gray the only time I get bored is with the flaming handbag repairs ,oh and cleaning the no nails off diy jobs that they try themselves ,as for timpsons level one exam ,if we are all honest about it how many of us would accept it as a benchmark for hiring them ,would not mind betting most of us would use it as a starting point and then change what he has been tought 

14 hours ago, elfman said:

I aint that far behind you gray the only time I get bored is with the flaming handbag repairs ,oh and cleaning the no nails off diy jobs that they try themselves ,as for timpsons level one exam ,if we are all honest about it how many of us would accept it as a benchmark for hiring them ,would not mind betting most of us would use it as a starting point and then change what he has been tought 

Great point!

what is level 1?

does anybody outside Timpson actually know?

• 1 month later...

hi, srr for off/topic.

I just came from Timpsons where i wanted quote for reheeling my 11year old shoes.

Guy told me, there is nothing he can do, because those shoes are heat moulded. - is that true?

my mom spotted those shoes like 1.5year ago and said, it is a quick fix to reheel. she wanted to take them into local workshop, back then I didn't think of repair though

thanks for answer, good luck with exam

rieker 1.jpg

rieker.jpg

rieker2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, kobblers said:

I would have been embarrassed to ask £20 for that repair. It's not just the adhesive - the build is also very visible.

There's another ongoing thread about shoe repairs dying off. I'm not bloody surprised if people think the above is an acceptable standard!!!!!

Rick.

The glue on the heel is sloppy.  But the build-up looks very neat to me.  How would you make it less visible? 

19 hours ago, MrSoleCutter said:

Kobblers, I see where you're coming from but on a black plastic heel like that it's best to keep as much original heel as possible. By the time you get the build on the other side you may aswell do a whole layer of build up with 2 toppeices.. For 20 quid that's not half bad. (although I agree about the glue.)

I'm not entirely sure why that would be the case? I've been doing this job for 32 years and never had a heel fail or look bad because of the way I've had to build them up.

In my own, personal opinion: for twenty quid - it's bad.

When I used to be able to obtain the decent, soft PVC sheeting, I never built up like that - I used to scour the heel down to the lowest wear point and replace the whole layer. I know people who use micro or harder rubber sheeting to do this but they're totally different materials and don't look right.

Thanks for your input.

Rick.

3 hours ago, keithm said:

I would always look to use plastic to build on plastic, there are ways you can disguise the build using thinners as well so the build is less obvious.  Using EVA or rubber for this work is wrong imho.

I din't know that about the thinners - you learn summat new, every day :D

Rick.