Shoe Repairer Forum

Help! Timpsons level one!

10 hours ago, Thepork19 said:

Hi guys, a new cobbler here. I work for Timpsons and LOVE my new career as a cobbler. Got my level one exams coming up next week, wondering if anyone could help. Exams make me nervous. 

Tell us what you have to do to pass level one and we may be able to assist.

Got any particular questions that we could help you with?

No offence to your employer but the majority on here are well trained in their craft compared to the modern Timpson way . The good folk here are extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and will help you if you ask the right questions.

Don't ever be too proud or afraid to ask - you don't learn by keeping quiet.

Welcome to the forum.

Rick.

Sorry for my original outburst, I hadn’t really thought of how you may be struggling til I thought how bad the training actually is for most people.

Do you have access to the Timpson Tube? It looks like it might be helpful for most of the basic practical stuff and will help you with a lot of the questions.

just make sure when you do the practical stuff, always wear your apron, name badge and goggles. You could be allowed to go through the whole thing and be failed at the end for not having uniform or following proper health and safety.

never pass the work to the assessor until you are satisfied it is of a quality that will be passed. You can always redo the work before you hand it over if needed.

Thanks guys! 

My modules for it are:

toe pieces

patcher

stick on soles 

heels

drill stand

press/parts of press

materials

types of shoe.

im pretty confident on all, just wondering if there's any ex Timpsons guys on here; what's the exam like? Is it stringent? Amy more difficult than say their watches or keys (pretty easy)

10 minutes ago, grahamparker said:

Completely agree. I would help anyone in our trade except for anyone who works for Timpsons. Oh and Bir***s.

Oh thanks mate, I’ll make sure I don’t put any questions towards our member of the year then :shock:

Thepork19, i guess you know about the “barneys dashboard”? The details are on there at the bottom. It’s like a filmed version of the manuals where they show you what you need to know in real life. And yes, it should be easy, but I’ve not done it for years and won’t be the same so can’t be 100% what’s involved

one of the reasons is definitely laziness. They like to have too many different prices for things. I can’t be bothered to look up the prices so I charge the last one I remember. The prices change constantly up and down so I’m likely not charging the right prices myself.

If I’m making the keys in branch, i charge the same for ultions, MAG1 keys, cisa astral all £20 for first and £10 each after that. I stick to that so I know if someone asks again next week it’s the same price. I know that it’s not the right price but I don’t know what the price should be on that particular day. I just happen to know I’m cheaper than I should be.

another reason will be greed. We’re paid bonus’s with a crap basic wage. 15% of turnover goes into our low wages so some people make the most of it.

not many of us are happy with the expansion. In a way, because of how we are paid, we are in the same position as you. The main difference is, we don’t get to charge to put their bad work right and the worse their work is, the less likely a customer is to visit us in future.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:46 PM, Thepork19 said:

Hi guys, a new cobbler here. I work for Timpsons and LOVE my new career as a cobbler. Got my level one exams coming up next week, wondering if anyone could help. Exams make me nervous. 

just basic shoe repairs then?

simple stuff that any body could do after a little training, just you then will master it with practice - bu my guess is that it’s far easier than you think 

1 hour ago, k4mrc said:

my guess is that whoever does the 'exam' will have his/her own interpetation on it and if they don't like you, your stuffed...

And that's the start of the new shoe repair manual on how to put someone at ease when they are already nervous :) 

I'm sure you will be ok and welcome to the forum

12 hours ago, grahamparker said:

Good fair balanced reply Count and I never set out to upset you but you seem the ideal sort of person to leave and set up in your own. I appreciate working for yourself is a massive gamble but have you not thought of going down this route ?. You would be a credit to the independents rather than working for a company that seems to be churning out robots in as many places as possible.

I worry about the boredom of it all. I know at first it would be exciting but after a few years it would all get a bit too much. There is the gamble also of course and I’ll be in a much better position to think about it again in a couple of years.

there also doesn’t seem to be too many places to set up near me these days, although with timpson slowly pulling out of high streets I was thinking it may be a good business plan to take over one of their old units as I would have a rough idea of turnover and could use this to forecast a couple of years ahead to reduce the gamble a little.

4 hours ago, Count Muppet said:

I worry about the boredom of it all. I know at first it would be exciting but after a few years it would all get a bit too much. There is the gamble also of course and I’ll be in a much better position to think about it again in a couple of years.

there also doesn’t seem to be too many places to set up near me these days, although with timpson slowly pulling out of high streets I was thinking it may be a good business plan to take over one of their old units as I would have a rough idea of turnover and could use this to forecast a couple of years ahead to reduce the gamble a little.

To reduce the gamble even more you could paint the future shop burgundy and call it Simpsons:-D

I’ve got some good friends at Timpsons, individuals aren’t “the enemy”, they’re just regular guys who got a job with the biggest chain. Like it or not, most young people wouldn’t be getting into the trade if Timpson didn’t exist.

So rather than bashing the competition and either putting off a new and enthusiastic cobbler, or making him think the Independents are a bunch of self righteous areholes, why don’t we give him some advice like the forum was made for?

@Thepork19 is there anything you’re actually struggling with? 

22 hours ago, grahamparker said:

Completely agree. I would help anyone in our trade except for anyone who works for Timpsons. Oh and Bir***s.

A bit harsh in my opinion, we all have to start somewhere and it’s not his fault that Timpsons are what they are. I worked for a multi national for many years and it gave me a very good living. Each to their own opinion I suppose.

12 minutes ago, grahamparker said:

All comments removed I did not mean to upset so many of you I will keep my thoughts to myself.

I don't see the need to do that -everyone is entitled to an opinion even if other don't agree- We all see Timpson and other like him as a thread to feeding our families, but it isn't the geezer trying to earn a crust and takes a job with them - He will learn and move on. Many big companies sh** on us, ASSA ABLOY competing with locksmiths for big contracts - Salto going direct - Glasses by post - everyman and his furry friend trying to screw you from the PM down to the lad who delivers the papers - I'm a grumpy git if I never saw another human till I die - perfect.

1 hour ago, grahamparker said:

All comments removed I did not mean to upset so many of you I will keep my thoughts to myself.

No need for that mate, I understand your opinion, I just think it’s a bit harsh of us taking it out on a young guy who just wants to pass his exams because he is excited about the trade