Jump to content
i29Sen

WTF? Should I trash them? (pics inside)

Recommended Posts

These boots were around $70. Pretty cheap but I would not expect them to fall apart with so little wear. What's even more interesting is that they are otherwise in a perfect condition with no signs of wear or damage, yet this happens randomly and out of nowhere.

Anything to be salvaged or should I trash them?

pics: 

https://ibb.co/tXMfGkr
https://ibb.co/Tk1F0ft
https://ibb.co/b6SQJf2
https://ibb.co/3WfZcYb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kobblers said:

That's normally due to them being stored where air can't circulate.

It's a problem I see on a weekly basis.

Rick.

This is depressing, can you elaborate so I don't make the same mistake again? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, x minit uk said:

You could always take them to your local Simpson store where they have special staples that fit into the holes !

I don't live in the US. So I take there's not much I can do by myself? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a message to one of my customers from a manufacturer 

 

“Thank you for your email and pictures very helpful, unfortunately your older boots  have Hydrolysis

 

The molecules in the polyurethane midsole of your footwear has broken down due to a reaction known as Hydrolysis. This can sometimes occur in polyurethane products, usually many years after manufacture. It may be accelerated through lack of use, or by being stored in a humid unventilated area.Hydrolysis is a natural process and not a manufacturing flaw

All boot/shoe makers can experience problems with rubber based sole units, it is not isolated to your Dubarry boots. “

 

Sounds very much like your problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, k4mrc said:

Here is a message to one of my customers from a manufacturer 

 

“Thank you for your email and pictures very helpful, unfortunately your older boots  have Hydrolysis

 

The molecules in the polyurethane midsole of your footwear has broken down due to a reaction known as Hydrolysis. This can sometimes occur in polyurethane products, usually many years after manufacture. It may be accelerated through lack of use, or by being stored in a humid unventilated area.Hydrolysis is a natural process and not a manufacturing flaw

All boot/shoe makers can experience problems with rubber based sole units, it is not isolated to your Dubarry boots. “

 

Sounds very much like your problem.

So what can I do about it? Anything at all? Never buying boots or shoes with this type of a sole again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, i29Sen said:

 

So what can I do about it? Anything at all? Never buying boots or shoes with this type of a sole again

that's right!

Do not buy this type of shoe again, we see them all the time and as pointed out on several topics here - repair is usually around £40 (if your lucky)

buy cheap buy twice applies to this type of footwear (Sorry)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Broms Cobb said:

that's right!

Do not buy this type of shoe again, we see them all the time and as pointed out on several topics here - repair is usually around £40 (if your lucky)

buy cheap buy twice applies to this type of footwear (Sorry)

I get you but they weren't nearly cheap to fall apart so easily and without much wear. $70 online, probably $80 in the store. $80 is middle ground for boots. You can get a decent pair of Dr Martens for less. I was absolutely ripped off and I think I'll be messaging them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, i29Sen said:

I get you but they weren't nearly cheap to fall apart so easily and without much wear. $70 online, probably $80 in the store. $80 is middle ground for boots. You can get a decent pair of Dr Martens for less. I was absolutely ripped off and I think I'll be messaging them 

http://us.vibram.com

 

this should see you ok.

I always tell my customers to use this Vibram soled shoe/boot/trainer type footwear. Not seen a poor quality pair yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×