Shoe Repairer Forum

Almost Christmas but not almost Christmas

43 minutes ago, grahamparker said:

No far from it.

Got a call on wednesday afternoon to quote for 5600 safety lock off padlocks.

I usually get these orders but fingers crossed for this one as its going to be 60k +

Is there much profit in jobs like these?

I know nothing about these padlocks but for the amount required I would imagine cutting the profit margin to the bone to get the job.

9 minutes ago, Michael said:

Is there much profit in jobs like these?

I know nothing about these padlocks but for the amount required I would imagine cutting the profit margin to the bone to get the job.

I have to be realistic with my pricing so getting the lowest price to start with helps then i will make approx 20-25% profit on the nett cost so in this case it will be around 13.5k + vat profit.

It is always a worry with jobs this large getting payment but this company have had about 60,000 padlocks from me over the last 20 years and 30 days after delivery i will be paid but it does make your bum twitch a little as any delays in payment could bankrupt us.

We are up again this year on turnover, but I suspect that it is on Car Keys/Car Key repairs and possibly shoe repairs.  I'm pretty sure we are down on keys at the moment.  However, given that over the last 9 years I've been trading there are an additional 3 Timpson's, 2 independent key cutters and an automatic key vending machine, plus 4 more Auto Locksmiths in the region, I don't think we're doing too badly.  However, but it does feel more up and down at the present with more variation in days.  But I'm happy with our overall increased turnover.  Excited too about a shed load of development in retail, industrial and house building all around me.  Surely that will be good for business!

Business has done well for me the last few years, this week quiet. I sell a lot of secondhand bikes now & stack up ones that need more work than the easy ones & do these up through the winter for the spring and always leave one in the van for a slack hour or two. this week I've done up 4 already, usually I do one a week through the winter. Once everyones paid next week it will pick up but looks like we've all had a slow week. Good old cyber monday!