Shoe Repairer Forum

Employees grumbling about wages to customers

If they are grumbling about wages they are obviously not happy working there, and you will never get full productivity and effort from an employee who isn't happy.

So you have an option to get rid, or look at some other ways of incentivising them i.e. targets for them to achieve to get a bonus etc. as this will keep them productive and want to do their best.

The targets don't have to be turnover driven either (obviously always preferable tho). You could work it on them getting there on time, staying that little bit extra to help you tidy up, customer satisfaction (some sort of poll in your shop on how they have been treated) etc.etc.

Staff don't realise it's not just what they get in there pay packet. If you add all the extras. pensions, employer tax and NI. Not to mention holidays sick pay and the rest it works out a lot more but most don't realise theses extra costs especially on a rainy monday morning when you haven't seen a customer for 1hr.......

Staff don't realise it's not just what they get in there pay packet. If you add all the extras. pensions, employer tax and NI. Not to mention holidays sick pay and the rest it works out a lot more but most don't realise theses extra costs especially on a rainy monday morning when you haven't seen a customer for 1hr.......

Re the sick pay, I know of a business that paid sick pay to their staff and sure enough they went sick (at least 3 weeks a year every year) this business guy was at wits end asked me how often did my staff go sick? (he knew I didn't pay sick pay) I told him never, but sometimes I have sent them home if they aren't well and then I have paid - it's at my discretion and I do support them, I just do not let them know that - he has asked around other friends and sure enough he now does not pay it, since he changed this funnily enough they have NEVER gone sick?

Sainsbury used to pay it, and funnily enough changed there policy as the profits of them crumbled against there rivals who did not pay sick pay?

So give this some real thought it's hard enough employing people and paying all the insurance, pension tribunal fees (even if your innocent?) and other things - there lucky to get a good paid job today. (even university educated ask for work in our shops) 

Re the sick pay, I know of a business that paid sick pay to their staff and sure enough they went sick (at least 3 weeks a year every year) this business guy was at wits end asked me how often did my staff go sick? (he knew I didn't pay sick pay) I told him never, but sometimes I have sent them home if they aren't well and then I have paid - it's at my discretion and I do support them, I just do not let them know that - he has asked around other friends and sure enough he now does not pay it, since he changed this funnily enough they have NEVER gone sick?

Sainsbury used to pay it, and funnily enough changed there policy as the profits of them crumbled against there rivals who did not pay sick pay?

So give this some real thought it's hard enough employing people and paying all the insurance, pension tribunal fees (even if your innocent?) and other things - there lucky to get a good paid job today. (even university educated ask for work in our shops) 

Please define "sick pay" I thought paying sick pay was obligatory but could be reclaimed!!

Please define "sick pay" I thought paying sick pay was obligatory but could be reclaimed!!

Sick pay is SSP, 

The weekly rate for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is £89.35 for up to 28 weeks. It is paid:

• for the days an employee normally works - called ‘qualifying day

Use the SSP calculator to work out the actual amount, for example for a daily rate.

I’m on a fair bit more than these figures and to be honest I don’t know anyone paid so badly on the company who isn’t a trainee. I thought there might be less pay around Scotland or the north but wouldn’t expect it on the south coast.

No wonder the area manager wants out, he’s running a bad area. Probably his own fault though.